JK Rowling to revisit Harry Potter-verse for new movie series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FreezeC77, Sep 12, 2013.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I'de be willing to bet she could buy several and still not feel so much as a pinch.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It's already been said, but no, they weren't.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You read the part about the inner cynic, yes? I'd think the answer to your question would be self evident.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The fans want more, she is giving them more. What's the problem?

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, and she never claimed she would never visit the Universe again, she only said Harry's story would be done, and in fact, near the end of the Septology, she did say it was possible she would revisit the Universe, but, she wanted to try other Genres first, and she has now Published 2 very different books not in the HP Universe, in two different genres/Sub-genres

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    There are a lot of wannabe "writers" who are jealous of her success.

That's THEIR problem.

7. DigificWriter

Jo said that she would revisit the HP Universe if she came up with a story idea that she felt as passionate about as she did the original HP saga, and, it's clear that her imagination - and passion - was fired by Warner Bros. approaching her about the possibility of taking the sourcebook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and creating a filmic story out of its contents, which is why we're getting this new series.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this could be a fun fantasy film. Plus, Rowling said it starts in NYC so we'll get to see Wizarding America in the Jazz Age 20s.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sounds fun. Barring horrendous reviews, I'll give JK the benefit of the doubt and check it out.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It just shares the title. This won't be an actual adaptation of the fictional book any more than Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was.

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Given that she's the first British billionaire to lose her billionaire status by charitable giving that's a little too cynical in my opinon.

12. DigificWriter

Or that Mean Girls was for the self-help book Queen Bees and Wannabes.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Does the determining factor of whether an artist gets to do more with their own work depend on how much money they have made from it? If she created a universe she loves and wants to explore it further what's the big deal? Yes, she has money now. Does that mean she has to turn of her creativity?

I was thinking the same thing.

14. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Terry Pratchett has done 30 or more Discworld novels, spin off books, games, interactive stuff, TV shows, etc. Yet seems to be universally loved. Is that not milking it?

15. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Not only Wizarding America (something I'm actually interested in seeing on film) but also the prospect of seeing competent adults using JK Rowling's imaginative spells.

One of the downsides for me of the Harry Potter books/films was they were full of amatuer wizards and witches, some of whom may not have been using the best spells/hexes for a certain task, or casting them 100% effectively (in Rowling's universe, there is a certain finesse to casting a spell which impacts the quality of the result... not all wizards displayed competence).

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I've had enough of grown men waving silly little sticks and shouting Pig Latin for a long time, thanks; if that aspect of the verse is highly downplayed, I might give this a shot sometime... :borg:

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. That was part of my point. Any story she does would have to be completely written from the ground up since the book it's based on doesn't have any story. It's just reference material. Could be fun though, seeing the world from a different perspective. Maybe we'll finally get to see some of the things that have only been mentioned. One thing I'd like to see expanded on would be the house-elves. In the books, there's a lot more detail and history to them that the movies just barely touch upon.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

The house-elf liberation business was embarrassingly underdeveloped even in the books. I can understand the entire wizarding world turning a blind eye to house-elf slavery, and I can see Hermione being the first one to see what's really going on, and sending out a wakeup call. But as it was, she spent the entire series preaching about it and couldn't convince anyone. Not even Harry. Not even most of the house-elves themselves, considering how they all looked down on Dobby. (Ron may be an exception, but his change was so last-minute that he may have just been trying to support or impress Hermione. Anyway, he's just one person.)

I can even see that working if it becomes a subplot or plot point. I kept waiting for a revelation that house-elves go insane unless they're bound to someone by contract, or they were working off a 400-year racial debt for trying to take over the world. Or something. As it was, they were a truly oppressed race, and Hermione had a righteous cause ... and no one cared enough to give it real attention. Even the author.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could be good.

I'm not the biggest fan of the films, but that's mostly due to how much was (understandably) left out. Something original has potential.

But what will they call it?

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes but Terry Pratchett is a much better writer than Rowling.