'Tacky' by Weird Al Yankovic

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Shaka Zulu, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if you were to base it on other teenage pop stars... a downward spiral?

I managed to know reasonably well all the songs he was parodying except for "Fancy". And that shit's so bad it's not even worth being parodied.

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. The "twist" in it only has impact on the first watch, whereas seeing familiar actors dressed, well, tacky in "Tacky" warrants rewatching. And "Word Crimes" is just epic, I think it will be hard for him to top that one.

Now if his long, curly hair is ever trimmed, then all bets are off.

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Speaking of 'Tacky', here it is.

Just a reminder, all of these videos are going to be included in the album as a DVD, so people should be buying the special edition DigiPack CD while supplies last.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I hope you're not referring to those 5 songs when talking about "these songs will be all but forgotten"... they are actual legit classics. Hopefully you're talking about some of the other songs like Blurred Lines, Royals, and Happy, which I don't see becoming classics.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

That's because you're not a teenager right now. You aren't going to be nostalgic for the music of now in 10 years but the kids now will be.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that what I said? :confused:

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I can certainly see "Blurred Lines" as being a flash-in-the-pan (I've virtually forgotten it aleady), I'm not so sure I'd say the same for Royals or Happy. The first time I ever heard those I genuinely thought 'Those Are Classics Of The Future', particularly in the case of Happy.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make isn't necessarily about the original songs being remembered fondly into the future, more that the songs themselves are strong enough that they lift Al's parodies. His versions are stronger because the originals are already excellent songs, something we've seen a lot this year. Your example is a good one, even if nobody ever did remember Gangsta's Paradise, the point is that it *was* a strong song in itself, which is the basis for why Al's parody was also excellent. I guess I'm saying that parodies are only really as good as the thing they are parodying. :)

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

"Foil" is damn near perfect for me, as is "Tacky," and "Word Crimes." I really like "Handy," and "Sports Song" as well. I still have my CD sitting on my desk, but I'm not playing it until I've watched all of the videos. Since this is his last official label release, I'm taking my time.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well it might not be his last official release, last I read this is just the end of his contract and he's going to see where things go, he may sign for another contract.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

True, but this is definitely the last album on this label, one he's been with for 30 years, so it's a bit special to me. :D

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would respect his decision to retire, but god I really wish he would stick around in time to do another Star Wars Parody.

I've heard the album, and it was very good. The song I've heard the most so far, for some reason, is Jackson Park Express. Also loved Word Crimes and Foils.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Ummm, not heard album, but Cat Stevens was well known in the 70s (yes I'm old), and had a big hit with 'Peace Train':

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6mKMV0d2cs[/yt]

13. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I hadn't even noticed that Al was invited to play Sir Issac Newton in his ERB with Bill Nye. Seems appropriate... :lol:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yis7GzlXNM[/yt]

14. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Oh, I must have misinterpreted you. Yes, that's exactly what you said, sorry.

I blame it on the common literary mistake of people saying "be all but ____" when what they actually mean is " be _____". When you're saying something is all but, you literally mean it is everything but. I thought you were saying songs like Teen Spirit and American Pie will be forgotten, which I disagree with.

Kinda like "I could care less", when people actually mean "I couldn't care less".

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a full grown adult and I'm enamored with her voice. Her writing is meh, for example:

Great commentary! Followed by:

Wait, that's how you end the line? Depth followed by annoyed dismissal.

But she's young. She'll grow. I think she has a bright future ahead of her. And Royals is one of those new classics, I think.

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Heck yea! :) :techman: That's really cool! Congrats to him.

That sucks :(. But it's still an accomplishment.

18. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^There's never been a polka video, ever (except for these ones) :

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxs8jGJPww[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_KM6ltc9iM[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rtUt-FMOKg[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYQOKP1JHU[/yt]

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Good for Al, getting a #1. He's still got it, even if I don't know what he's parodying.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Truth.

Hey, check this out!
    [Yankovic] On doing a parody of Frozen's "Let It Go":

You know what, I was very close to doing a parody called "Make It So" about Star Trek: The Next Generation… but then I checked online, and of course, somebody had done that already. And apparently it had gotten enough attention online to make the Disney legal department ask them to take it down! I couldn't think of an idea that I liked as much as "Make It So," so… I gave up!