Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

If what they say is true, and they do scour the boards, I want CBS to know this.

Make Deep Space Nine in HD. Make it, and we will buy it. That I promise you.

Aside from that, I would have liked to have seen this so called super awesome special feature which was teased weeks ago and promised here, but oh well.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

+1

3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yeah. I was pulling my hair out with every installment waiting for that very same thing. What happened to that? :-)

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I completely agree. DS9 would look amazing in HD and will definitely buy all 7 seasons if/when it's released in HD.

My guess for the special feature is it's going to be some brand new bloopers or deleted scenes they found while going through the footage, as was mentioned in the latest installment of the interview.

5. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

If these are one of the boards CBS check, then I have to say here that I would love it if there were isolated scores on the TNG Season 3 set. It's not that hard to do, and how great would it be to hear the score in context for Yesterday's Enterprise, or BOBW, among many others.

Also, DS9 in HD, please. Shut up and take my money, CBS.

6. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aftter reading the interview I'm still left with a question. Are there two teams working on the visuals or are there two teams remastering and assembling the episodes?

7. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure what you guys are on about regarding the secret reveal. FrontierTrek has consistently said in advance and throughout that the interview would only hint at it, not reveal it. There was no promise to reveal it in the interview.

8. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both - they are completely independent teams. The only time they will share things is if there are common elements that can be swapped between seasons

Right! Just hints, CBS want to leave some surprises!

9. Sho

As for the question of DS9 on HD, I think if I had to pick just one Star Trek show to be remastered, it would be that one. In terms of visual artistry and production value it's when the franchise hit its peak. There are so many incredible vistas in those episodes, and heck even the beautiful standing sets and the way they were lit, seeing that material with the clarity of TNG-R would just be amazing. There is no question I would buy it, even if the price was substantially higher than TNG-R to justify the greater workload and smaller economy of scale.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Fair enough, you did just say hints. 3 weeks of guessing and waiting skewed my expectations.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

HAHA. No yet gives a crap about wanting VOY remastered for Blu-Ray! It's all DS9! :lol:

12. Sho

Well, I'd buy Voyager, too ... but yeah, DS9 comes first on my wishlist.

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

What I liked to see is that all the vfx elements from the motion pictures have been saved as well. Is the shot of the Klingon ship from heart of glory from Tmp? If so even those elements have survived!

Paramount did an utterly awful job with the movie blurays. I would like CBS to go do them right; remaster them at 4k+, recreate the vfx from the original elements so they all look as good as tng-HD (remove matt lines etc) and keep the grain intact - don't scrub it and make it look awful like the 5 min job paramount did.

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I don't think I could even say this. I'd watch it. Maybe rent it. Maybe buy some of the latter seasons but Voyager is just a show I watch when its on. And even then Im more likely to change the channel than watch it all.

DS9 on the other hand, I go back and rewatch that all the time, just like TNG.

I'd rather they release Ent. I'd love to watch Season 4 in Hi-Def, especially if they give it a generous special feature treatment (which considering its HD already, is really all they need to do).

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yep. That's the original miniature photography done at Apogee in 1979 by Doug Smith under the supervision of John Dykstra. Notice also that they shot against black instead of bluescreen like ILM preferred. They over-exposed the model to create a matte pass -- essentially a luma key instead of a chroma key.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

ENT would be very easy to release on Blu-Ray since it was already filmed with HD cameras.

I can see CBS releasing ENT after TNG and seeing how well it sells before moving on to DS9 if they decide to do that.

In they end, they probably already have a very good idea how popular each show is since they know how well each show sold on DVD.

17. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

So paramount still owns the movie rights and CBS the television rights, correct? Meaning, there is no chance Paramount would ever do such a thing?

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I think the most we could hope for would be new 4K scans of the cut negatives from each film like they did with Star Trek II. The only reason they're doing this for TNG is that nothing was assembled optically on film.

19. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. I would get Voyager and Enterprise as well, but I really hope DS9 will be next.

20. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, that's clever. I wondered what that was for. :)

It's great that the separate layers from the movie FX all survived on film. Is this how they originally used these shots for TNGs broadcast, or were the shots simply taken from the final cut film back then?

As I understand it, many (if not all) of Enterprise's FX shots were rendered at 720p or lower, at least for the first three seasons. Fine for HD broadcast, but not quite up to Blu-ray standards.* Mind you, if Eden FX (and whatever other FX studios were involved) still have the files, it wouldn't be too big a job to re-render all those shots. Certainly an easier job than doing DS9!

* This same issue didn't stop Firefly from getting a Blu-ray release, mind you.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012