So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished reading the Cold Equations Trilogy, and moving on to Star Trek: Voyager The Eternal Tide.

2. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I see "The Fall" actually isn't waiting for that season. On iTunes there is The Fall item by David Mack available; and, on Kobo there is The Fall item for preorder by David George III. At least I guess that's what it seems. The books shall probably be everywhere in a short while. I got a new smart phone - another medium for Star Trek. Cyberspace, the final frontier.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

TNG #21: Chains of Command. Run of the mill early 90's TNG novel from a one and done writing team. Interesting alien species but story falls short in execution.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"Duke: We're Glad We Knew You. John Wayne's Friends and Colleagues Remember His Remarkable Life" - by Herb Fagen.

5. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have a batch of books on my nook I didn't finish so knocking those out: Articles of the Federation by Keith RA DeCandido, Road to Woodbury by Robert Kirkman, Enemy of the Line II: Rebel Stand by Aaron Allston, and Forged by Fate by Amalia Dillin.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

DS9 #19 The Tempest by Susan Wright. Not bad to have a story with a little more focus on Keiko O'Brien.

7. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

Nice thread title.

"Vulcan's Forge," by Susan Shwartz and Josepha Sherman.

-:borg:

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading a scifi novel The Return written by Buzz Aldrin and Brian Burns.It's been a really interesting story so far .I've only read a few chapters and really like this book.

9. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Just finished Star trek Vanguard: What judgements come.
    I was a little disappointed with this book, to be specific with the the Shedai.
    When you have a very powerful enemy who are responsible for a lot of death and destructions and you don't have much or anything against them, don't experiment with them until you have a proper weapon against them.
    I hope that the last book of the otherwise great serie is better

10. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Q Squared. It's one of my favorite TNG novels as it brings in Trelaine and Q and alternate timelines and I just think it's so cool. I think I've read it about three times now.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"These Are The Voyages: Season One" by Marc Cushman with Susan Osborn. This truly is a remarkable book.

12. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Fable: Blood Ties by Peter David yesterday. I found it surprisingly enjoyable considering I was disappointed by the game it's based on, Fable III; although I did enjoy Peter David's other Fable novel, The Balverine Order, which took place before the game. It had also been a long time since I played the game, and I didn't remember the main character of the book, so I had to look him up online to jog my memory. I was somewhat surprised to see he was voiced by Simon Pegg in the game, which I either didn't remember or never noticed to begin with.

I'm now reading the USS Excalibur story, "Making a Difference" by Mary Scott-Wiecek, from New Frontier: No Limits.

ETA:
    Well, I just finished "Making a Difference". That one was really short.

I'm now going to start Star Trek: From History's Shadow by Dayton Ward.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You have my sympathies !

I read it recently - the follow up is better.

14. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Destiny Book 2: "Mere Mortals"

Absolutely loving it so far.

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've gotta say that the last few Dayton Ward books that i've picked up have not kept my interest. I've put them down and not gone back. That being said, i just picked up Open Secrets and i'm gobbling it up. I wonder what my problem was? Sorry Dayton! This book rocks!

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally started Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks the other day. It's not bad so far - a little weird, but right now I'm chalking that up to the fact that I haven't jumped into a new universe in a really long time. :)

I get to go on vacation next weekend, and I'm looking forward to doing some serious reading. Can't wait. :drool:

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Speaking of jumping into new universes, I recently read Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space, and liked it enough to track down the other two books in that trilogy, Redemption Ark (which I'm currently reading) and Absolution Gap. There are other tales in the same universe, but apparently those three are the main trilogy, so I'm starting with them (even though Chasm City came out between the first two). Apparently it's regarded as a somewhat dark or "noir" hard-SF series, but I actually find it more upbeat than some; there are dark situations, to be sure, but the main characters tend to be relatively decent and sympathetic people, which to me gives it an optimistic flavor. It's not a dystopia where everybody's awful, just a world where both good and bad things happen and where most people are acting for what they believe is the greater good even when they disagree profoundly about what that is.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just a word of warning, as a trilogy, those three books are pretty loose. In particular, the third book isn't the epic finale you're expecting, more of a side story that winds its way into the narrative from the previous two, something which a lot of people find disappointing.

I do wholeheartedly recommend all the other books in the same universe, though, particularly the short stories. The Diamond Dogs / Turquoise Days novella pair is especially phenomenal, and the final short story in the Galactic North collection is much more the epic ending that Absolution Gap doesn't manage to be. (Not directly related to the trilogy, but chronologically after it, and I found it more satisfying as a conclusion.)

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Er, I picked up a couple of comics the other day: DEXTER #1 and FEARLESS DEFENDERS #7.

(Yes, I know I'm behind on both titles.)

DEXTER. although technically based on the book version, felt like the early seasons of the show, although the fact that they can't use the actors' likenesses is a bit jarring at first. (Dexter looks way too young and wholesome. More like Peter Parker than Dexter.)

And, as a long-time DEFENDERS fan, I'm really enjoying the new series and am curious to see where they're going with the Valkyrie these days.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Just finished Star trek Vanguard: Storming heaven. :(
    Is there another book were they are mentioning some of the characters of Vanguard after the series?