New WoM trailer!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Cky, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Didn't see it posted anywhere else, thought I would. The BBC released the TV trailer today, I can't find it on the BBC website yet, but I found it here.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/

I'm so hoping the bit where the Doctor is asked what's suppost to happen on Mars, he drops the Ice Warrior bomb on us!

2. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still think the 'Ice Warriors' should be what the humans are turning into.

3. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Not really anything new there. Part of me gets excited over new Doctor Who, but it's always been so disappointing in the past...

I highly doubt the Ice Warriors will make it in. Would be nice though.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You know you really should have kept your Halloween name, it suited you better :lol:

I think it looks fab CAN'T WAIT!:techman:

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Too "fanwank" for my tastes.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It also doesn't make any sense. How did humans get to Mars thousands or tens of thousands of years ago, to be turned into Ice Warriors by mutant water, to then be frozen inside glaciers on Earth when they returned?

It would be a retcon too far.

7. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So what is the Ice Warriors nod? Where ARE the Ice Warriors? This is a major base on Mars, looks to be long term (think about how long it would take to set up and maintain). Where are they?

8. Bones2

Well, one would have thought Mars didn't have any water, at least not in the way it looks in the trailer. Ice, water...no? Maybe the water madness is why the Ice Warriors ultimately died out. I'm guessing here. And to be honest, I don't remember a great deal about the Ice Warriors, just that they lived on Mars a long time ago in the past, and they died out due to changing conditions. Water madness too? I don't know. So referenced rather than seen, maybe.

...that's all I've got.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting trailer. I haven't seen a Doctor Who in so long that these final two months are going to be fun but a bit bittersweet. Looking forward to all of it though.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well The Seeds of Death featured Ice Warriors and that was set in the late 21st century so I don't know where this the ice warriors died out centuries ago notion comes from?

11. Bones2

No, you're quite right. I was just looking them up briefly on the DW wiki. It's been a long, long time since I've seen the Troughton shows. So doesn't that mean they should still be knocking around on Mars when WoM takes place?

Not that continuity is much of a thing to maintain in nuWho.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah time is always in flux etc etc :lol:

Although maybe the Ice Warriors lived centuries ago, died out then are reborn in WoM? That might keep chronology on the stright and narrow. Actually it might even go so far as to explain why the humans in SoD had given up on rockets and gone with transmat, you know after that horrible Mars Disaster ;)

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Martians abandoned their planet thousands of years before our time after the planet was no longer able to sustain life

The BF Audio “The Judgement Of Isskar” actually tells the story of how it happened. (No prizes for guessing that Doctor was partially involved in the disaster that befell them.)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  14. Bones2

^
    Was there anything about zombifying water in The Judgement of Isskar, perchance?

Hey, you never know.

15. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Trailer looks fantastic, can't wait. Airing on a Sunday too, weird.

16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose theres always some way of working around it. The original martians when they realized their species was dying out, created a virus that rewrites the DNA of alien humanoids (those promising hairy creatures on the next planet over perhaps?), turning them into a new race of Ice Warriors. Hey TNG did that sort of thing all the time. :)

Its just that the Martian setting, and the strange cracking around the mouths. Its just too damned hard to resist making a connection. Plus the insistence that it all be allowed to happen seems so out of character for the Doctor. Normally he'd be the first to jump in to try to find a cure. There must be some reason these people have to stay on Mars and become infected. The rebirth of an race would certainly qualify.

Anyway, its all speculation.We'll find out in about ten days! *Squee!*

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  17. Bones2

Damn, I'm actually getting into this. I'd love to get some Ice Warrior connections.

In fairness, I may not be the biggest lover of nuWho (indeed, when I'm a little less busy, I was planning on doing a "Hater Revisits" thread), but I did think Planet of the Dead was mostly very good. Though The New Doctor was quite rubbish to me.

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That notion comes directly from The Ice Warriors. The Seeds of Death was in complete contradiction of what was established about the martians. In fact, the Ice Warriors continuity doesn't make much sense, and it's not something the WoM writers should worry too much about.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

so the answer to Doctors Who timeline issues, is to a) totally ignore them b) make them worse?

Sometimes I think Doctor Who fans take great pleasure in talking of the timeline issues of the show, and as previously said making them worse.

20. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is where the famous 'wibbly wobbly' thing comes into effect. Every time the Doctor lands its in potentially a different timeline where things have happened just a bit differently. Its why there were three explainations of what happened to Atlantis, or why theres no sign of reel to reel computers or banks of blinky lights on this Mars base. And why in one episode, England had its own thriving space program that could send a man to Jupiter. Something you never heard about again.