Nimoy limping in "The Menagerie"??

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Mike, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

I was watching the remasterd episode last night and what amazes me is how many times I have watched, that I never noticed after the beam down to Talos IV, Leonard Nimoy was walking with a VERY noticable limp. It seems I cannot recall anything about why that was. Anyone else do?

2. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

Supposedly it was caused by an injury he sustained on their previous mission to Rigel VII.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

From dialogue in the second scene of "The Cage":

Spock could be presumed to have been one of the injured.

4. ACE

ACE Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's the reason.

That particular interchange between Pike and Boyce in the Captain's cabin was also the very first Star Trek scene ever shot. Was it really so long ago?

5. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

That is one of my favorite scenes in all of Trek. It is really a testament to the actors/producers/crew of The Cage that the first scene ever shot can still be considered one of the best despite the literally hundreds of hours of Trek that's been on screen since then.

6. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Jose Tyler also has a bandage on his hand.

Neil

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Unless you just want to say it's been all downhill since then :p

Seriously, though, it was really good. I think Boyce and Pike made an interesting pair. The Cage is pretty much a character study of Pike's mind, but Boyce works well as a complimentary character to help the audience get insight into it (as well as set up the illusions that follow).

8. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's also a nice connection, I think, between that scene with Pike and Boyce in The Cage and the scene between Kirk and McCoy in Kirk's apartment in TWOK. I seem to recall that similarity was discussed in The Star Trek Compendium. Alot of the same overtones being discussed in both scenes.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Pike asks both Tyler and Spock whether they "feel up to" being part of the Talos landing party.

10. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, before remastering it was only a semi-noticable limp. :)

11. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

And one of the others has a bandage on his neck.

12. erastus25

I'm one of those people who thinks TOS season 1 is the best season in all of Trek and often think it's funny that, to me at least, it has been all downhill for 40 years! :rommie:

13. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hm, I wonder, though, if Nimoy himself had suffered some injury that maybe then necessitated a script change like the one mentioned in Pike's cabin.

14. Joemac

Joemac Lieutenant Red Shirt

i remember reading years ago that spock did hurt himself during filming so there are some points where he has no limp. it was so noticable that the injury was added to the script. i don't know if its true. must be about 20 years ago, 1987 maybe, when there was a twenty year celebration and this was in a sci fi mag

15. ScatmanRescueMe

ScatmanRescueMe Lieutenant Commander

So because Nimoy hurt himself they added the guy with the hurt hand, the guy with the hurt neck, and the whole so & so many people killed and so and so many peoiple injured at Rigel sub-plot??

Very odd.

i think if he had no limp in certain scenes it was simply because he forgot to favor the leg in every shot and they weren't about to reshoot every take.

16. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find it hard to believe that Nimoy was actually injured and that's the reason for that whole plot point. The idea that the Enterprise had just been on a difficult mission that left several injured or killed was integral to the development of Pike's character and the scene between Pike and Boyce. I have to imagine that scene had been in the script all along.

I suspect this is making something out of nothing. Several crew members were supposed to have been injured, so several acted in ways that made them look injured. Simple as that.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original intent was that Spock was supposed to be in constant pain, thus the limp. This also explains why Spock was always SHOUTING IN THE EARLY EPISODES.

Maybe I'm making this up. What if I am?

18. ACE

ACE Lieutenant Red Shirt

NO, No and no.

The crew injuries suffered on Rigel VII were always part of the story. Nimoy was not injured on the set. Pike's scene with the Doctor was to establish his fatigue and wanting to hang up his career, citing the death and injuries of members of his crew as part of the rationale and therefore laying the groundwork for the rest of the story arc for his character.

As mentioned above, I also thought that the interchange between Kirk and McCoy in The Wrath of Khan was very reminiscent of the Pike/Boyce scene in The Cage. That scene also set forth the character arc for Kirk in the story. Very similar.

19. erastus25

Why hasn't this been moved to TOS?

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Because the original question was more or less answered. I didn't see what moving it would accomplish.