What happens to Klingons who are good tactics but suck at melee?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Drago-Kazov, Aug 9, 2012.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not all Klingons are warriors, just the majority of the ones we see on screen. In "Playing God" Dax can be seen flirting with a fat Klingon cook with an opera voice. In "Rules of Engagement" we see that Klingon lawyer who was actually a pretty cool and provacative character. And in one of Kor's DS9 episodes, he complains that young people are now opening resturants and opera halls among the aliens he killed in battle when he was young.

2. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I wonder about warrior klingons meeting the cook or any other klingon living in the Carnellian Regency or the Federation or on Bajor. Do they ahve to challange them and kill them for being honorless petaq's because they left the Empire or they just treat them as they threat klingon peasants or engeeniers back home?

3. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Completely, and I loved the complexification of civilian society in The Left Hand of Destiny and Gorkon books too; however, I was more meaning a diversity within the empire's martial traditions, since the empire is large, hundreds of years old and complex - as well as dominated by aristocratic households who - if like the households of earth's past empires (including those of modernity, such as the British, Russian and French Empires) split in different territories - would vary, as much as linguistic and artistic trends vary from one region to another. But that is a poor analogy, since the empire on screen is a claustrophobic monosociety (linguistically, artistically and maritally), whereas the aforementioned empires were anything but.

4. KQuita

KQuita Lieutenant Red Shirt

5. KQuita

KQuita Lieutenant Red Shirt

I believe that during a "formal" challenge,it is the right of the Challenger to choose the weapon of choice. Though as we've seen, most challenges occur on the spur of the moment with what ever is available at hand, usually a dk'tagh or bat'leth.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Holy Necro Batman!

7. Drago-Kazov

It's not that old. I would not allow her to go on a date with you.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup, I meant Drex the Klingon son rather than Krax the Ferengi son. Sorry about that!

But the Earth tradition on challenges is that the one issuing the challenge is not at liberty to choose the weapons - if anything, the party being challenged is, but that's a somewhat rare interpretation of the "rules". Generally, the two sides will come to some sort of an agreement about the terms of the fight before the fight takes place, but with so many variables there that Klingons would no doubt grow weary of the proceedings and slay everybody involved. They have never been shown discussing the terms, or arguing about the choice of weapons - but sword is countered by sword rather than by disruptor or starship, so presumably the Klingons have ideas about this. It would appear a bit unlikely that a "nerdy" strategic genius would get to choose a weapon allowing him to defeat a master swordsman.

Timo Saloniemi

9. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

KRAD's IKS Gorkon books are practically required reading on this subject.

You can't just challenge someone to combat without good cause, and certainly not someone of high rank or social status. If that person's bodyguards (or even just the onlookers) see that the challenge isn't valid, they'll kill the challenger for his impertinence. As has been mentioned, Klingon society simply has to have evolved these checks and balances, to prevent total chaos.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Also, Dax said pretty much the same thing when she and Worf went to serve on Martok's ship during that one DS9 episode.

11. Drago-Kazov

I read the books but i completly forgot about this.

Nice catch, both of you