Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Sep 8, 2012.

?

How would you rate Dredd?

1. Excellent

50.0%
  2. Good

38.8%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. A bit poor

3.8%
  5. Awful

2.5%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I heard them say 4%.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Dredd is the only Judge who even keeps his helmet on in the sleep machine (and, in fact, when he's in the bath)

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Supposedly it wad during the early stages when Dredd would have had the helmet on for much of the movie. I don't remember much about the 1995 movie, but maybe the resulting story you're describing was intended to give the star enough face time.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'm fairly certain that it was 1% but even if it was 4% it would still take 25 seconds for every 1 second.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought it'd be box-office poison to keep your lead actor under a helmet at all times. Positive reviews aside, this morning's news hardly convinces me otherwise.

6. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's worth remembering that everyone in Dredd ages in "real time", so whilst Anderson is now in her 50's in the comic when she was introduced 30 years ago she'd have been about the same age as Thirlby.

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny but I got a Robocop vibe too as I was watching Dredd. I was hoping that the new Robocop has the look and feel of Dredd.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie is excellent! I have no real prior knowldedge of Judge Dredd, I was aware of it, primarily because of the Stallone movie, but didn't know anything beyond it being set in a dystopian future where law enforcement is handled by cops who apprehend criminals and sentence them. I found myself compeltely immersed in this world and itrigued by it. The Judges basically being one man armies who have virtually free reign in solving crimes, and as we see power does corrupt a few.

Dredd himself is a really cool and interesting character. Basically the uber Judge, the guy is the best one around there. A tough hardened badass he stands up for what is right and tries to be just and fair, despite having free reign to even kill criminals in the right cicumstances and having corrupt comrades he never abuses his powers and always downplays his awesomeness with simple sentences to desribe his accomplishments like "there was a situation and I dealt with it." Karl Urban owns this role and is the perfect actor to cast. I really could not imagine anyone else in the role.

Though gory in the extremes, the gore serves a point of showing how vicious the movie's world is and isn't something thrown in because "it's cool."

I could have done without the slow-mo scenes from the perspectives of the druggies. This got really annoying really quickly. Thankfully, the movie used it sparingly, unfortunately there's something like three slow-mo sequences within the movie's first forty minutes and so it gets rather tiresome.

It's a shame the movie is doing rather poorly at the box office. I would have loved a sequel and possibly a Dredd movie series. Oh well, at least there's still this one excellent movie to enjoy.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Out of curiosity I started reading the Dredd comic books, and the one I read was surprisingly silly. It was one of the first ones, though. He has a robot butler with a lisp :wtf:

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heh, after seeing the movie I was talking with my uncle and the first thing he asked was if that robot was in the movie.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I really liked Dredd--just saw it yesterday (had some free time to kill so I went to see it on an impulse). It was just a really cool action flick. Really nailed the dystopian future thing well, IMO, and had a villian that I'll remember for some time.

To be totally honest, I don't remember seeing any commercials for the movie in my area. Heck, I didn't even know it had opened Friday until I checked my local movie theatre's website and saw that it was playing there (seeing it on a Monday afternoon before rush hour, there were only two others in the theatre with me).

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That would be Walter the Wobot, and yes Dredd had a robot butler, and also a crazy Italian landlady!

The one thing Dredd doesn't really show is how batshit crazy Mega City 1 is. Whilst it's an incredibly violent place, it's also full of the ridiculous and the absurd. With unemployment over 90% people do all sorts of things to pass the time. There are Fatties (the name doesn't do them justice, these guys are really huge) Simps (people who dress ridiculously) batgliders and skysurfers, and thanks to a man named Otto Sump, even making yourself ugly is fashionable. Heck the city had an orangutan as mayor once...

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I saw it today and had a blast. I actually felt the 3D was worth it. It's a shame this movie is tanking. I was the only person in my theater.

One little quibble I have though, is that the plot of this film is almost exactly the plot of The Raid. They take different approaches to the same plot, though, so I didn't mind it so much. The Raid is a martial arts film, and this is a comic book action film.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

15. JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just to let you know, the creators of "Dredd" were working on their film prior to and concurrently with "The Raid," so it's just a coincidence. IMO, "The Raid" is highly overrated. "Dredd" is a far better film.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thats one of the more negative reviews I've seen, but even so there's a lot of positives in there. I like his comment that;

17. OdoWanKenobi

I agree. I enjoyed The Raid. It had some very impressive fight choreography. Overall, though, I thought Dredd was just more fun.

I never said I thought one copied off the other. I pretty much assumed it was coincidence. Kinda like A-Team and Losers a couple years ago.

18. JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry. Just wasn't sure if you knew it was a coincidence. When I first read about the plot, I thought the exact same thing. It's shame that Dredd will not get nearly the word of mouth and praise that The Raid did.

Even worse, there likely won't be a sequel to Dredd.

19. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Urban nailed Dredd. I liked how they simply wrote a tight story that encapsulated a lot of what Dredd was about, instead of trying to be too "epic".

I loved the references to various names from the comics, both creators and characters, in particular the Chopper graffiti! No doubt I'll spot tons more second time round.

It's a pity the film hasn't done too well outside the UK. The planned sequels would be fantastic.

I spotted two fatties in the film and an Otto Sump store!

20. OdoWanKenobi

The sad fact is that outside of the UK, Judge Dredd is barely known. The biggest exposure that most people have had to him is the Stallone movie, and I don't need to tell anyone about how that's not the way to get to know him. I really wish the movie were not failing so miserably at the box office. It's a good film that deserves to be seen, and I would love to see sequels.