IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cdgodin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I just received my July PREVIEWS, and yes, the Star Trek: Romulans Treasury Edition is in a larger size format -- 9 1/4" x 14 1/4", with cardstock covers. Without having them handy to compare, I'd say that's probably the same format at Superman/Fantastic Four or the Paul Dini/Alex Ross one-shots that DC published in the late 90s.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might be checking this out. Braga has written quite a few of my favrotie episodes, so I'm pretty confident that this will be worth a read.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think that DE was supposed to be an even more immediate aftermath to ROTJ than a year or two. In fact, if you look at the art in the first issue, even though no attention is brought to them in dialogue or text, there are Ewoks fighting with the Rebel/Republic cell on Coruscant, which always made me think that it was originally supposed be just a couple of months after Jedi.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'm having the opposite reaction. Braga's involvement in this is a deal-breaker for me.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might check it out, even with Braga writing it. Seven in the Starfleet uniform intrigues me.

6. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I'm largely 'meh' on this. I mean... Time travel, AGAIN? And a Borg run future? Bleh.

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Maybe if it was played for laughs....

"Sure, the Borg are oppressive and all ... but at least the transwarp shuttles run on time."

8. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

And in the latest bits it appears the future is ruled by 'KIng Locutus.'

Right....

I might look for this in the bargain bin. Maybe. *lol*

9. Allyn Gibson

The first issue of Hive comes out next week.

I got to read an advance copy this morning.

It has potential. Yes, the story feels like a Braga's Greatest Hits -- there's a little bit of First Contact, "Year of Hell," "Scorpion," and "Endgame" -- but it hangs together in an intriguing way.

As IDW's solicitations make clear, the story unfolds into two parallel tracks, set hundreds of years apart -- fifteen years after "Best of Both Worlds" and the 29th-century. Both tracks in this first issue end on WTF? moments, and I'm curious to see what kind of payoff they have.

The first issue, in my opinion, was worthwhile.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So that means the "present" portions are late 2381 or early '82? Which would be less than a year after Destiny takes place. Though clearly we're dealing with a separate timeline here.

11. Hando

Hando Commander Red Shirt

It is a comic, so it will probably have nothing to do with the novelverse.

On the other hand who is to say that all Borg were eliminated. There may be some still around (some who were not around when Destiny happened). By the way, is this discussed somewhere?

12. Christopher

^Well, that's a given. The only IDW Trek comics to take place in the novel continuity are those written by novelists like KRAD or Peter David. Or that were retroactively embraced by the novels, as with Blood Will Tell and Alien Spotlight: Andor. Many of IDW's miniseries aren't even in continuity with each other; for instance, D. C. Fontana's The Enterprise Experiment envisions the late 5-year-mission era and the fate of the Klingon-Romulan alliance differently than John Byrne's comics do.

I'm not saying I'm surprised that Braga's comic is out of continuity with the novels. Of course it would be -- not only is he a busy TV producer who's probably never read the novels, but he's much higher in the Trek hierarchy than us lowly tie-in authors, so nobody would expect or ask him to follow the novelists' lead. I'm just noting the coincidence of how close in time these two radically different takes on the Borg's future happen to begin.

13. Allyn Gibson

I don't have the issue at hand, but I remember that the stardate was in the 58xxxx or 59xxx range. My "fifteen years" was a ballpark figure.

Hive isn't compatible with Destiny. At all. :)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Christopher

Different from the novelverse, yes... but rather similar to the alternate timelines I alluded to in Watching the Clock, futures where the events of Destiny never occurred. Make of that what you will...

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Are you now saying/implying that Braga does infact read the novels?

17. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I wish some of you ''peons'' were in chrage of VOY, not him.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's more of a happy coincidence. After all, the same idea (the Borg eventually assimilating the galaxy) was used slightly differently in IDW's Alien Spotlight: Borg.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a recent interview with Braga where he said Hive is supposed to take place three years after Nemesis. Which should place it in 2382.Stardate 59xxx.x.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

And, of course, Braga (and RDM) referenced an alternate universe in "All Good Things..." where the Borg had done the same.