Why was Kes written off the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kooz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

I'd rate all of the original BSG as worse than Fury. It was just unwatchable and goddam, I really tried to like it. But that was made in a different era.

Fury didn't bore or irritate me, so I'm ok with it. It scores bonus points for featuring Kes and time travel. Yeah, it was a different Kes in Fury, but she was still entertaining. She didn't have this perfect idealized life after she left Voyager (whatever that would be for a ball of light), which sets this situation apart from all the fairytale happy endings in Trek. The quantity of them gets on my nerves. Plus, Fury lets us fanwank some sort of resolution for the planet Ocampa.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But you see the women of BSG in the 70s were drop dead knock out 10s.

I'd like to thank the casting couch for TV in the 70s.

Thank it a lot.

(Male) producers only hired women they wanted to sleep with who would sleep with them.

You might argue that this seriously impacted on the quality of the actresses that some of them couldn't even read, oh, and it was sexist amoral and horrid, but...

Look at the results.

3. spot_loves_data

The 70s hair ruins it for me. You might have a good point, but I can't see past all that feathered hair and those proto-mullets.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was still better than 80's hair. But I always had a soft spot for Farrah which I associate the feathered look with (though I was of course a Kate Jackson fangirl first and foremost).

5. Guy Gardener

Men-shmen, but you do realise that I am in part talking about a young Jane Seymour?

Today, at 63 years young she still scores a 17 out of 10.

6. spot_loves_data

I just googled "young jane seymour" and she was way hotter than I expected. And not a feathered follicle in sight. I totally forgot she was on BSG.

7. Guy Gardener

It's almost like cheating to rope Jane into this conversation.

It is cheating. :)

Maybe not the prettiest, but the sexiest man that was ever on Battlestar Galactica had to be Fred Astaire.

What are your views on a young Ed "Henry 'Futures End" Starling' Bagley Jr in the cockpit of a Colonial Viper blowing away the Cylon Skurge?

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I must admit that even if I try, I can't find the scenes you're describing as worse than "Fury". The scenes you describe are incredibly stupid but "Fury" was stupid, destructive and insulting.

spot_loves_data wrote:
    Funny that you mentione original BSG. I've recently watched some episodes on a channel I have and I think that this original series is much better than the depressive stuff they came up with in recent years.

And no, I don't find "Kes" entertaining in "Fury", only pathetic. I prefer happy endings before the curent doom and gloom scenarios we have to stand in too many series these days and I see no resolution for Ocampa in a pathetic wreck. I think that Ocampa would make it just fine anyway.

9. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

How dare you be the voice of logic and reason.:klingon:

Homeboys in Outer Space?
    The Secret Diary of Desmond Phiffer?
    Meet the Browns?
    The Parkers?
    Charlie's Angels?
    The Bionic Woman?

Whole series that are worse than one single episode of any Trek series.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Lost in Space, virtually any episode was worse than Fury. The, there's LiS's 'The Great Vegetable Rebellion' which may be the worst episode in Sci-Fi TV history, certainly in the top ten.

11. Guy Gardener

Jeri didn't sleep with anyone to get her job or sleep with anyone to keep her job, or sleep with anyone to take over the show and receive twice as much "meaningful" screentime as anyone else... it just kind of organically happened since Brannon probably couldn't separate his love for the woman and his love for the character... Which really aks the question if he loved Jeri mmore than he should of becuase of his love for Seven?

Above wasn't sleezy.

Below might be.

Maybe Jennifer should have tried "dating" a producer before things became pear shaped?

12. teacake

You really shouldn't make fun of her weight gain like that Guy.

13. Guy Gardener

Did not know that I was saying what i was saying.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/27/messages/196.html

I originally said "problematic" before I checked for misspellings, but it seemed too vague since I was talking about the preamble up to her firing when Jen could have still course corrected.

Oh? You were joking?

Grumblegrumblegrumblefuck.

14. teacake

It's always a win when you can say something terrible but make out like someone else actually said it.

15. Guy Gardener

Last I checked, she'd lost the weight.

Also... the Bigger the Cushion, the Better the Pushing.

Would Spinal Tap lie to us?

16. spot_loves_data

This is why we'll never agree. I'll take dank and dreary over bright and cheerful.

Ocampa was fully dependent upon the caretaker and afraid to live above ground because of rabble like the Kazon. It didn't look like they were making any progress. Whatever state she was in, Kes had knowledge and experience that would benefit Ocampa.

You mean "went tits up"? That's one of my favorite British-isms.

17. Guy Gardener

I like Ass over tea kettle.

(Although the only person I have ever heard use that phrase is Ally McBeal.)

It didn't rain on Ocampa.

The biosphere is broken.

That world cannot support life.

Any one that lives on Ocampa has to use the same technology as a starbase.

It's weird that Ocampa has air.

No flora, or fauna to recycle and constitute.

Two thoughts.

1. The Kazon make air "somehow" so that they can work on the surface of Ocampa.

2. Caretaker was "beaming" air to Ocampa.

think about this.

The Ocampa were even more doomed than before.

Running out of water is nothing compared to the planet running out of air.

We've all seen Spaceballs.

18. spot_loves_data

I haven't seen Spaceballs. Is there any scifi you haven't seen?

I'm thinking Ocampa has a thin atmosphere with very, very little rain. But, yeah, they're all kinds of screwed.

Maybe Kes can use her powers to fix the ecosystem somehow. I can see this older angry Kes slaughtering all the Kazon and moving her people to their home planet.

19. teacake

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGupCVeSXnA&list=PL27B4FA12E3BB5596&index=24&feature=plpp_video[/yt]

20. spot_loves_data

That was perfect! That guy should have been on Voyager, playing a sort of Sybok to Tuvok.