White Collar (USA)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by SlyCardie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Synopsis

This show looks pretty cool and from the trailers it looks more exciting than a basic procedural. IMO having a cop and robber working together should make a much more interesting dynamic than just having two cops be partners.

You can check out the trailer on the site: http://www.usanetwork.com/series/whitecollar/

2. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I watched it the other night and I thought it was pretty good. I won't say I'll watch every week, but will make an effort to see it. I give it a thumbs up! :techman:

3. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I caught it on Hulu today and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

I thought the casting was great, especially for the "robber" role. He really has the charisma and looks to pull off someone who's not only skilled but lives a charmed life. The "cop" had an interesting look, too. Reminded me of an old noir detective with his somewhat rounded facial features (as opposed to the "robber's" more sharply defined ones) and a strong work ethic.

Should be interesting to see how it goes. Though, I have to say, I thought counterfeiting was more of the Secret Service's department than the FBI's. Or is the Secret Service just focused on protecting American currency only?

4. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I'm already hooked. I hope to be able to watch Numb3rs on CBS' web site (no sign of the Friday's full episode so far this weekend :().

Good cast, lots of chemistry and yeah, I can imagine Neal having an easy time of it (good looking, charming, smart and a quick learner).

5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Premise kind of reminds me of that old show "It Takes a Thief" where a former robber/thief works for the feds to find other thieves or steal things back

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Matt Bomer a Superman Returns candidate?

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

based off the pilot, I must say that I do like this show. It's got a bit of a noir feel, I agree. It's made my Tivo list.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanted to like this show, but it seemed to be trying WAY too hard. Unlike the natural and easy relationships of, say, Burn Notice, the ones here felt forced as hell. And the writing in general was so aggressively cute and "witty" that after about 40 minutes I couldn't take it anymore.

9. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Love the cast. I'm a big Chuck fan, so I'm still getting used to not hating Matthew Bomer (but that should be pretty easy). And Tim DeKay is always great.

I was surprised by how big Tiffany Thiessen got. But she still looks totally great.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Yes he was. Brett Ratner had chosen him to play Superman in his version of Returns. When Singer came in - well history...

11. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Ya the cast is awesome, totally agree and they work really well together, the report between DeKay and Bomer totally works.

New epi tonight BTW, and eps are online like I've been telling my friends, so there's still plenty of time to get into the show.

12. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

holy thread resurrection...

but it needed it lol... Last night's episode was amazing, loving the latest season so far... finding out more about Neal's past and his father, while keeping the FBI on their toes...

Think this is one of the best TV shows around at the moment :)

M

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think this season hasn't been as good as previous ones. I'm starting to get tired of the constant mistrust. After what happened in the season finale and premiere, we've reached the point where Neal and Peter should really be working together and trusting each other, but the writers keep contriving ways to force them into lying to each other. I mean, sure, a story needs conflict, but it's just starting to feel forced.

Also, the credibility is starting to suffer. Like the trial episode a couple of weeks ago, which was one of the most ludicrously inept portrayals of courtroom procedure I've ever seen on TV. If the prosecution suddenly introduced a vital new piece of evidence during its final witness's testimony, they wouldn't just barrel on through and let the prosecution's witness "prove" its legitimacy on the same day. That's completely unfair. By all rights, the judge should've granted a continuance to give the defense time to examine the new evidence and develop a rebuttal for it.

Even the product placements are starting to go downhill. This show has usually been very deft at working its built-in car-commercial moments into the story so that they didn't feel blatant or contrived. But the bit with getting the car to recite Neal's horoscope last week was ridiculous, a pointless digression from the story, and the scene last night showing the automatic parallel parking feature was too self-conscious and commercial-ish (though that is a really neat feature and I wish my car could do that).

Still, despite all that, it remains a fun show with great characters. But I think I'd be happier if they downplayed the big mythology arcs and focused more on the case-of-the-week stuff and the character interplay.