Captain of the [Spoiler]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by EJD1984, Apr 18, 2013.

1. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

If Kirk and Harrison have to do the space jump over to the Dreadnaught , then who has been the captain during the apparent attack on the Enterprise?

This could be a major question that has been overlooked.

Or did I miss it somewhere?

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Captian of the
    CAPTIAN OF THE DREADNAUGHT: VILLIAN OR EMPORER???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe his second in command was in charge, one of his supermen. Or Gatt2000.
    Or Harrison attacks, then for some reason goes to the Enterprise and then has to go back with Kirk.

4. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Dreadnought Rendezvous with Enterprise. The whole fight-betweeen-two-starships thing was a ruse. They're fighting off a Klingon Fleet.

....or Harrison was betrayed by his 'guy'.

5. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

Be careful of using the word 'Dreadnaught' (Which if I'm really going to be picky should be spelt with an 'o' instead of an 'a' btw:rolleyes:) in your thread title. I tried to use the same word and got told off by a big burly red-shirt moderator! (Think his name was cup-cake) :guffaw:

6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think, again, the trailer is edited in such a way to present a different story than what really happens in the movie. I'm guessing it goes down as follows (this is only a guess,
    but I'll wrap it in a spoiler tag anyway because it does contain a known fact):

1. Harrison attacks Starfleet command, escapes.
    2. They find out that Harrison has gone to Qo'noS.
    3. Kirk takes Enterprise to go after Harrison.
    4. In order not to provoke a war, they go in under civilian cover.
    5. They capture Harrison, take him aboard Enterprise.
    6. While returning to Earth, the Dreadnought intercepts and attacks because Kirk has stepped into something over his head (they can't allow Harrison to be returned to SF).
    7. Kirk and Harrison spacejump to the Dreadnought.

The only thing I can't figure out is how Scotty ends up on the Dreadnought before Kirk. In another thread, it's revealed he opens an airlock to let Kirk and Harrison in.

7. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was John Harrison that was in command of the Federation battleship? The last trailer shows him setting in a Captain chair.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Maybe the Dreadnaught has no crew. Maybe it's "crewed" by M5

9. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I just went with standard spell-check.

BTW - Wasn't "cupcake" eventually put in his timeout corner. :rofl:

10. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At some point (I'll have to look it up), didn't Peter Weller say he was playing a CEO with his own ship? An Admiral would be considered a CEO in the Starfleet ranks, so I think it's pretty safe to say he commands the Dreadnaught. Maybe not in everyday duties, where Harrison could be the skipper, but on special occasions Marcus could take command, leaving room for Harrison's space jump with Kirk.

Edit: Found it

http://trekmovie.com/2012/05/12/exc...s-hints-about-his-star-trek-sequel-character/

11. WarpFactorZ

I suspect...

... the ship is commanded by Adm Marcus, who is intercepting the Enterprise (after they capture Harrison) to stop them from meddling in a covert/illegal operation. Harrison knows the Dreadnought will show up, which is his ulterior motive for being detained on the Enterprise. He convinces/tricks Kirk that they can take over the Dreadnought, so the two do the spacewalk and get on board. At that point, Harrison pounds Kirk (as we've seen in another trailer), kills Marcus, and takes command for his own purposes. I'm guessing that's when we'll get the line "Now shall we begin?"

And to answer my own question, maybe Scotty was already on board the Dreadnought because he was re-assigned from the Enterprise (perhaps they needed his genius on the new Excelsior... er...). Perhaps that's why we see Chekov in red in Engineering -- he took over as chief engineer?

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[​IMG]

:mad:

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Could be Harrison was trying to stop it before it can be deployed for action with a crew. It's been said that for its size, the ship requires only a small crew to operate it, so maybe Harrison found out how to take over the ship and run it himself by hacking April's files (that would be the comic tie-in). An M5 type computer would make sense in this technologically accelerated timeline.

If Harrison has a crew on that ship, that means he has confederates, and what he's doing is more of an organized rebellion of sorts (dare I say, insurrection) for a greater cause, and not just a rogue person carrying out a personal agenda.

14. WarpFactorZ

There is a crew on the ship. We've already seen them in a press photo (JJ standing in front of the bridge set). It appears that Joseph Gatt (bald) is one of the helmsmen.

15. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

For some reason that bald guy just doesn't look like Gatt to me. His head isn't as pointy and he appears to have more in the way of eyebrows. Of course, that could be added in. I think I'll stand by my assertion that Gatt is the burly guy in the pod room.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. They had the blue and black shirts. The questions would be: are they allies of Harrison's, or does he take over the ship from them or otherwise coopt them?

17. WarpFactorZ

Well, in one of the preview screenings....

Scotty asks one of them if they are with Starfleet, or a "private" agency. So, maybe we can assume the different uniform to be some form of contractor firm. This would be similar to current situations in the US military when civilians are involved: frequently security isn't provided by army personnel, but rather private contractors (Wackenhut Corp. is responsible for securing "Area 51", for example -- the famous "cammo dudes").

18. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe the ship was built by Halliburton, with a Blackwater crew, and Harrison is Dick Cheney's formally frozen brain in Cumberbatch's body.

19. WarpFactorZ

Since JJ and co. have stated the film reflects modern issues, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something like this, i.e. the contractors being Halliburtonesque in their accountability to Starfleet and, shall we say, the ethics of the MO.

20. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    One of the Previews shows Scotty in some kind of shuttle...
    (looking up at the Dreadnought, I would guess)

Perhaps he zips over while Kirk distracts Harrison??
    (or whoever is in charge of the ship at that point)