Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lurok, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ I thought companions were supposed to be respectable people in this culture. But then, I think Heart of Gold explains his digs at her and her jabs at him the most.

@lurok -- Lol, don't make me give you my Sylar face.:evil: :lol:

2. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

^ They are, but Mal isn't a part of that culture, is he ;) ? He's a dying breed and you could even say that he is stuck in the past.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the culture of the elite and wealthy that honors companions. In Mal's working class culture a woman who charges money for sex would have a very different dynamic going on. Mal is ever ready to call a spade a spade even if it's not a spade in someone else's eyes.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just to up the SF geek ante, she (Inara) reminded me a little of Dune's Bene Gesserit. Please no-one tell me she starts displaying kung-fu skills and mental abilities :p

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mal's digs at Inara are to hide the fact that he's extremely attracted to her. And vice versa. Just wait, you'll see.

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Why is it that everyone usually learns the swear word "ta ma de" first? "Ta" directly translates to his/her/your. "Ma" is mother. "De" usually translates to "the" but in this instance its more of " 's ". So putting it all together it translates to "Your mother's (private parts)"

Companions can be thought of as the ancient root of the Bene Gesserit. Inara has been trained to make psychological "suggestions" and I think she did display some self defense skills in the movie, Serenity.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Inara and Book get just enough development to raise questions, not quite enough to answer them. Maybe that's what makes them so intriguing. (Some of Book's backstory is elaborated in comics.)

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I think Inara is, basically, a skilled psychologist. There's nothing supernatural there.

9. teacake

That's a really good comparison!

I agree with that. It's interesting though that her training allows her to pass through highest levels of diplomacy and power. The possibilities to be more than a sex worker are there and I wouldn't be surprised if some companions are not also spies despite their code most likely forbidding such things.

10. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

It was obvious that this is the writer's intent. It's another tired cliché, actually. My point is that I don't buy it. Why on earth would Inara fall for a guy who treats her like dirt? Also, these actors didn't have any chemistry going on, in the pilot anyway.

Good for him, but if I were Inara I'd let him rot and go for the doctor. :p

11. teacake

The doctor is too young and gee whiz for her.

12. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

He's only 4 years younger than Mal and 4 years older than Inara.

Yes, I checked to see if he was legal. :p

BTW, urban dictionary isn't very helpful with translating gee whiz. Be gentle with that Aussie slang to me. ;)

13. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Gee whiz isn't specifically an Australian "slang". It just means someone that is too innocent and a bit socially inept. Anyway, Inara would have to get past Kaylee to get to Simon. But then again, Kaylee looks up to Inara and would probably let him go without a fight and then be passive aggressive.

14. teacake

Well when I say "young" I don't mean just the literal years.

I suspect he would remind her far too much of some of her clients. Pretty, wealthy and privileged. Now obviously he's been on a steep learning curve because he's had to rescue his sister so he's stepped outside of his upbringing quite a bit.

I think he'll be quite hot in about ten years :lol:

15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Inara's much like a geisha (with the added dimension of sex as an expected part of the deal), which is odd, considering the Chinese, rather than Japanese culture.

I found The Train Job to be a very fun and entertaining episode upon repeated viewing (once I understood the whole Firefly concept and universe). I liked Niska as a villain and was glad to see that he returns again. The killing of Krull (I think it was) with the engine intake was unexpected and still cracks me up. And, with the simple scene of the 2 by 2, hands of blue agents, the overall arc is pushed forward.

A great episode especially in light of it being put together literally over a weekend.

16. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Some of Inara's backstory is covered in the anniversary special they did a few weeks ago.

17. teacake

OH I have to watch that, thanks for the reminder!!

18. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Perhaps I should have put 'No Shipping' as well as No Spoilers ;) Though no doubt we'll probably all get round to it at some point.

19. teacake

I'm trying to figure out Mal's age. Speculation on the firefly wiki puts it at 31.

"Screens from Serenity suggest that Mal was born on September 20, 2468—which would make him 49 at the time of the series Firefly—though this may be a mistake, since the information screen also misspells his name as "Malcom," and may have been intended to be 2486, making him 31, an age more consistent with his appearance."

Simon was born 2490 so that makes him 27 though he looks a lot younger to me.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think 2486 makes a lot more sense, too. Fillion was about 30 while the show was airing, so I always imagined Mal was around the same age.

I can also buy Simon being 27. He's a full-fledged doctor, not just a med student, and seems to already have some experience working in hospitals. He's just one of those people who looks young. Sean Maher was also 27 at that time, if that makes any difference.