The CW renews Supernatural for Season 8

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 3, 2012.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

zap2it.com

Good news. Hopefully season 8 will be better than this season has been. The Leviathans are been disappointing villains.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yes, they have been, a bit. They made them so powerful that there was no way to really engage them. Plus, removing Bobby & Castiel from the mix hurt the show tremendously, in my opinion, as one of the show's best features is the chemistry between the friends. Hell, Dean doesn't even have "Baby" anymore. I still love the show, but I'm not sure there's really anything left for them to do.

3. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's disappointing news--I guess networks can't let a series alone until they run it into the ground. S4 was the zenith of the show and while S5 was extremely hit or miss it felt somewhat like it deserved to exist but everything after seems like writers struggling to keep a show going longer than it is creatively feasible--. I might tune in next season to see if Robert Singer can do a better job than Sera Gamble did for the last two years but honestly I don't expect much.

Hopefully Singer realizes that there was no real need for a season long arc or a Season long Big Bad in S6/7--both felt shoehorned in like writers including them because most shows have that--I think going back to leisurely MOTW episodes much like S1 would be the way to go--permitted they are much better as far as originality than the bulk of standalones have been in recent years.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was really losing interest this year (and getting rid of Bobby and Castiel was completely unacceptable), but the last batch of episodes have definitely been fun again. Hopefully they can bring it around next year.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^I hope so, too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

6. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

Oh of course. THE professional TV critic has chimed in. :rolleyes:

I agree that the Leviathan story arc has been pretty well not delivered as much as previous seasons.

And Watcher..I don't know what you have been watching, but in all honesty every season has had a season long story arc.

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Leviathans are dull. No angels or demons is dull. No Castiel or Bobby is dull.

I want to see Dean stepping out of the shower saying season six and seven was all a dream.

Or better still, Ruby...

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I really missed them after they left. One of the problems I have with this show is how badly it handles its supporting characters.

9. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was very happy to see Castiel gone. The show has no real business keeping a Angel as a primary character.

Of course though the decreased Castiel involvement, no body almost always means not dead.

The character will be in six episodes this year. About half of last years or the year before.

As for Bobby, yes it was time for Bobby to depart. Hunters are supposed to die young. As with his death, it was clear they were going to keep him around as a ghost. So instead of Bobby holding down the fort, we now have a Bobby who will be out more in the field, with the potential of going nuts....

And for getting rid of the character, interesting fact, Jim Beaver is in more episode this season then all but one other season.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It hasn't done too badly up to this season. Ruby held on till season four, Ellen and Jo had a good run, Castiel did really well (getting promoted to series regular for seasons five and six), so I don't think they did too badly.

Some, such as Balthazar, were handled poorly, although I imagine they were a result of a contract coming to an end, or a desire by the actor to move on.

11. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with a lot of character deaths is that it becomes expected that people will die so it takes out the dramatic impact--and on a lot of shows they are more done because fans expect it and writers cater to that--the end result they feel like required plot points rather than organic dramatic moments. The only decent deaths that felt appropriate on this show and carried emotional weight were John's and it resonated nicely for many episodes and Jo/Ellen--other than that they felt like emotionally hollow contrivances--Rufus, Bobby, Castiel, Pamela, Ash to name a few.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm happy to hear this. They will at least have the opportunity to bring the series to some kind of natural conclusion (hopefully along the lines of what I've been hoping for all these years :D).

While I've enjoyed this season, I've got to agree that the Leviathans have been a disappointment-- instead of some cosmic Lovecraftian horror, they've turned into a joke. And killing off Bobby and Cass was a mistake, although there's the potential for something interesting coming from both of those storylines.