I can't stand Trip

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by drazzz52923849, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drazzz52923849

drazzz52923849 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Trip" is the worst character on enterprise, maybe in the entire Star trek universe. Its the southern accent and STUPID one liners that just ruin him. It is not even a real southern accent. Connor Trinneer speaks perfect english.
    He says stuff like:
    Cap'n
    Hunderds

Does anyone else agree with this?

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

No.

nightwind1, FanST and Anna Yolei like this.
  3. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Trip is my favorite.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

"Gowron" is the worst character on deep space nine, maybe in the entire Star trek universe. Its the klingon accent and STUPID one liners that just ruin him. It is not even a real klingon accent. Robert O'Reilly speaks perfect english.
    He says stuff like:
    PetaQ
    Qapla'

Does anyone else agree with this?

[​IMG]

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You mean to say that Trip is worse than Wesley Crusher? I think not.

Of course his accent isn't real. He's an actor paid to speak like a Southerner, just like James Doohan did with the Scottish accent. If you want to blame someone, blame the Enterprise character bible for making him Southern in a blatant attempt to recreate the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate, with Trip as McCoy.

Would you have preferred him to speak like Boss Hogg?

I agree that a huge disservice was paid to Connor Trinneer in the first few seasons, where as you poignantly point out, he was made to be a southern-fried hick in charge of the ol' engines. However, if you bothered to watch the rest of the series, you'd see that his character evolved over time and (to me, anyway), became one of the best and most believable characters in ENT. A lot of that "southern-ness" went away.

FanST likes this.
  6. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

He was my favourite character on Enterprise, at least.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I don't like Trip, but I can't even agree that he's the worst on ENT, so long as Travis still counts as a character.

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Disagree, he wasn't my favorite Enterprise Character, but he was a good character.

9. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Trip. I thought he was a little too stereotypical as a Southern good ol' boy, but overall he was a fun character.

After a while, he gets me saying Cap'n. It would have been funny if T'Pol had said it that way once, then caught herself. A Pillarian slip, so to speak.

FanST likes this.
  10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The answer to your question is No. Trip is my Favorite character on Enterprise.

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hell, Porthos was a better character than Mayweather.

FanST likes this.
  12. Aikiweezie

Aikiweezie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Trip was my favorite character on Enterprise, so NO, I do not agree.

He DID start off a bit too "hickish" but I really liked the guy when it was all said and done.

13. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

Can you even call Mayweather a main character? There were extras and recurring characters on TNG, DS9, and Ent. that were more developed characters than Mayweather (Vash, Garak, Shran) and they had far more and better lines than Mayweather.
    My problem with Trip is the way he yells most of the time when he talks, he reminds me of Spock in The Cage pilot episode.

14. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much my assessment... and he is my favorite character.

During the third season he has some major character growth and a lot of the "stereotype" dissipates with that growth.

As far as most annoying character in Trek? Not even close. *cough*Neelix*cough* ;)

15. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, let's be careful here and not equate a Southern (U.S.) accent with stupidity or ignorance. It's an accent, just like I (occasionally) drop my Rs and sound like a real New Englander, or someone else having a Cockney accent, or Glasgwegians being completely unintelligible (I kid ... a bit). It has nothing at all to do with intelligence, and if you associate it with a "dumb hick" stereotype, I'd say that has more to do with you than with the person speaking with an accent.

Anyway, to answer your question, no I don't hate Trip. I thought he was funny and sweet and resourceful.

FanST and Tracy Trek like this.
  16. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

Well said, bluedana.

He was the chief engineer of Earth's first warp 5 ship. Can't be that dumb now can he?

He always struck me in the first couple of seasons as a bit naive and trusting. That also does not equate "dumb". And since I'm not from any regions in the south, I couldn't say how authentic his accent was.

And I agreed with the loss of "southern-ness" not from a "dumb hick" standpoint but more from a "good ol' boy from the south" stereotype standpoint. He's more grounded as the series progresses and that's what I meant when I agreed with the statement. (Not that I thought anyone was accusing otherwise -- I just wanted to make sure that I was more clear in what I meant.)

Personally, I have no qualms with any of the crew. I wish the writers would have done more for Hoshi and Travis sometimes, but overall, I liked them all. (Yes, Trip is my favorite -- but it doesn't mean that I have to make some kind of list of "best to worst" where there has to be at least one "loser". :p )

FanST likes this.
  17. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Trip is my least favorite, but I don't dislike him. I like all the characters and actually think all the actors are good ones.

I think the thing that bothered me most about his accent wasn't that he was Southern. I think I was annoyed that he was supposed to be from Florida and sounded straight out of the Texas area. (I should know, I've lived in Florida and Texas.)

If we're providing character criticism, I think:
    * He's overly sensitive for a 30+ year-old man
    * His character arc was rather weak
    * I wish the writers made him seem more like a Scotty - a miracle worker; I felt like rarely did they show him pulling something massively cool

18. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Aw, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

Agreed. My father had two bachelors degrees and four masters degrees. He was an engineer, a brilliant, resourceful problem-solver. He was also from Texas, and often said "hunnerds." I don't really see what an accent has to do with intelligence, either.

I saw an interview with Connor Trinneer in which he said he was told Trip was "Southern," but did not specify where he was from. So Trinneer chose the accent. Only after he'd been using it for several episodes did a script come along that said Trip was from Florida. As a conscientious actor, he was as disgruntled as the rest of the fans who scratch their heads at the early accent.

Not me. I thought Trip's overall character arc, from wide-eyed novice explorer to seasoned officer matured by war and loss, was quite compelling. And I always did think of him as a "miracle worker" in the engine room. :)

I expect there are folks who would vote a slew of other ENT characters into the "worst" category... Emory Erickson, Kaitaama from "Precious Cargo," the Klingons from "Marauders"...

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Trip made Enterprise for me.

Seriously, it's parked in my garage right now. :shifty:

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I only saw most of the shows once when they first aired. I recall he was irritating but that's about it. I found the captain and T'Pol much more memorable. And the doctor; he was fun. The later shows Connor Trinneer actually got some very good scripts so he could stretch himself a bit so he became more entertaining and less irritating. The rest of the cast seemed to be mostly background, and thus squandered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.