Should SCE [and COE] be read in order?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by lestatar, Jun 10, 2009.

1. lestatar

lestatar Ensign Red Shirt

Hi all...Just wondering. I am getting ready to dig into the SCE / COE series.

I probably will go through them in order, but just wondering if I really must; there are a few volumes from some personal fave authors I am tempted to skip some books to read first. But I will go through the series in order if that will guarantee me maximum satisfaction...;)

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I did a cursory search for SCE here and didn't find any other relevant threads on this...

Thanks for any advice and cheers,
    - lestatar

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There are a lot of evolving character arcs and status-quo changes over the course of the series, so yes, it's best read in order.

3. lestatar

Chris, thanks for getting back. I kinda figured that would be the case. OK, each installment is pretty short so I'll definitely go through the series in order.

And at the risk of sounding too much like a suck up, you happen to be on my fave ST author list. It seems you've only done 1 SCE book - how come and any plans for more from you?

Surprised KRAD let you get away with only 1 shot at his "baby"...

cheers,
    -lestatar

4. Christopher

It took me a while for me to come up with a second SCE proposal. Then I decided that I'd rather use the SF concept in an original work, so I withdrew the proposal. Then Keith wanted it again a while later, so I mated the character story with a different concept and submitted it again. But it took a long time to get through the approval process. It was awaiting approval when the decision was made to end the eBook publishing program, so it was never written.

5. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Alas, poor Corps Of Engineers! I knew them, Christoper"

6. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I think your best bet is to go in order, for the reasons Christopher gave. The plots are generally standalone, but the character arcs progress as the stories go on.

In fact, my schedule for 2008 included Christopher's second adventure with the good ship da Vinci, but then Pocket cancelled the eBook line on me. Sigh.

7. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

I just started on Foundations, its a bit of a departure from the previous continuity, but I do get to find out more about Mr. Scott. Gotta say, i'm loving core breach corsi. Where can I find a good picture of her, or approximation of her?

8. MichaelS

MichaelS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here.
    (Warning: just look at the picture; the text contains spoilers for future stories.)

9. KRAD

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

11. KRAD

Pretty much all of it. :) I mean, the looks for Gomez, Duffy, Lense, Scotty, and Stevens were pre-established, as they're onscreen characters, but I worked with Mike Collins to design the original ones. Mike did sketches of all of them to my specifications (with some input from John Ordovoer, with whom I co-developed the series).

12. MichaelS

MichaelS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Brilliant, thanks :)

14. lestatar

Chris, KRAD, thanks for the 411. Sounds like you both got shafted by those bumz at Pocket books...

Here's hoping you both get a second shot at it...

cheers,
    -lestatar

15. lestatar

All posters on the Domenica Corsi tangent...Thanks!

She looks quite fetching [for a drawing of a fictional character at least!]...Now I am REALLY looking forward to digging through the SCE books to get to know her a bit better...

KRAD, just out of curiosity, since you have some significant control over how your characters are drawn...have you ever noticed any similarities between the depictions of your characters and people you may know/have encountered in real life? How about the reverse...ever run into someone who could be a dead ringer looks-wise to your characters, as they appear in your mind's eye?

Sorry, but just interested in the more esoteric [weird!] aspects of the creative process....

cheers!
    -lestatar

16. Christopher

First off, the eBooks were published by Simon & Schuster, not its Pocket imprint. Second, the reason they stopped publishing eBooks is because not enough people were buying them. It wasn't an arbitrary or malicious decision.

17. KRAD

Well, the S.C.E. was a special case, as I was the editor of the series, which meant that I was involved in the cover designs, and we had illustrated covers where I worked closely with the artist to design the characters. Normally, it doesn't matter all that much since it's, y'know, prose. :)

Very rarely it happens. And sometimes I have an actor in mind (for example, I specifically told Mike Collins that Harry Morgan was the template for David Gold).

18. lestatar

Chris: Thanks for the clarification. I certainly meant no offense or disrespect with my flip comment.

But this brings up something I am wondering about. I know it has been a few years since SCE debuted, but:

- can you recall how heavy the promotion for the series was from S&S?

- and fast forward to today, given the increasing popularity of the ebook format [with the growing adoption of devices like Amazon's Kindle], can SCE /COE [and ST ebooks in general] fare better?

Any thoughts appreciated!

cheers,
    -lestatar

19. lestatar

KRAD, thanks for your character insights. If you get a chance, please see my response to Chris B inre: ebook popularity in today's marketplace. Would love to hear your thoughts [and hopes!] on the subject.

cheers,
    -lestatar

20. Christopher

I defer to KRAD, who's more qualified to answer those questions.