Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 1001001, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Bak_and_Blue

Bak_and_Blue Captain Captain

Hello all,
    I'm a trekker: even though I was little, watched the first episode of TOS when it first aired (my dad is a big sci fi fan) and have watched all incarnations ever since.
    I also watched the space program a lot. I was influenced by an episode of TOS where Uhura was under her console working on electronics. Hence, my dream was to work in the space program, on electronics. I was lucky enough to achieve this; I was a electrical systems technician at the Kennedy Space Center. I worked in the payload bay of the shuttle.
    I just finished a degree in Biology and am about to embark on my second dream career, to teach biology in high school.

2. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Welcome aboard, Bak_and_Blue! Hope you enjoy the discussion around here. :)

3. hometheater

hometheater Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am a home theater designer/integrator. I am also a big Sci-Fi fan. I'm 39 years old, and have watched trek fairly regularly all my life.
    I am working on a project building the "Ultimate Star Trek Machine" movie server. It allows instant access to all the movies and series. I have been overloading myself re-watching all the series again back-to-back recently. :eek: I'm surprised how many of them I have never seen!

4. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Premium Member

It's a return for me rather than a welcome, but I suppose for the benefit of people who don't know me I can self-describe...

I studied Physics as an undergraduate at Uni. Cambridge during the 90s. I spent most of the rest of the decade in Software until the dot-com bubble burst which essentially put me out of a job, although cleverly extricating myself the right time (:guffaw:) left me in a better financial state than some!

I returned to Cambridge in the early 00s as a (slightly) mature student to complete my doctorate in the field of Computer Science, my thesis being on some obscure applications of networking and neural nets, the research which it contained will surely benefit the future of mankind for generations to come (yeah right... :rolleyes:) as it gathers dust on a shelf in the CS library (it was an enjoyable time, honestly!).

I currently work for a large well-known web services company in London, UK, who I'm sure are putting my talents to good use.

I maintain a keen (although increasingly amateurish) interest in all things science, particularly Quantum and Particle Physics, Relativity and Cosmology.

5. TerriO

Welcome aboard, hometheater! Hope you enjoy the place. :)

And welcome back, Verteron! Good to see you around again. :)

6. Sulu's Lover

Sulu's Lover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

High School Dropout here..............................I have no degrees......Can I still hang?

Rob

7. TerriO

Of course! There are a lot of brainiacs here, as you've probably noticed, but they can be fairly well-mannered most of the time. ;)

Never be afraid to ask questions. Remember, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :)

Welcome aboard!

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

As a diabetic, I can only say, "GOD BLESS YOU!" I hope you find a cure for us.
    As for me, I had to leave college after 3 years because working 2 jobs and an internship wasn't enough. The Financial Director told that if I was a minority or a female there was plenty of scholarship money, but none for a white male.
    Later on in life, I worked with sci-fi and Star Trek conventions. I met some wonderful people from the show and movies. Some became friends and even helped me with sponsoring the doomed StarFleet Academy series. (That's right, it wasn't just a rumor.) After that I became depressed and disillusioned, thus my hatred of DS9 and Paramount. (It shoulda been MY show there!)
    Now with the new Star Trek movie coming out, I ran into this board and am re-acquainting myself with Trek and fellow fans once again.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

You can hang... always.. come on over. :drool: Welcome to PleasantvilleBBS, where Trek never changes and woe to those who try!

10. Uplink

Uplink Ensign Newbie

Hello everyone! I'm a former premium member and longtime lurker. Didn't see a members introduction thread in General or anywhere else, but Sci-Tech is my favorite forum anyway (along with Lost, BSG). I lost interest in Trek a few years ago, in favor of hard-SciFi, but I still enjoy a late night episode of Voyager or Enterprise.

I'm looking forward to the movie, and possible franchise revival, and with chatting here with you all! :)

11. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

So, there is a difference about the size of thought itself such that myself includes oneself and here is the sentence that will introduce me as to make one think... maybe?

Oh neat I am a Cadet I like that.,

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  12. Hamstar

Hamstar Cadet Newbie

Heidy ho!
    Well a friend of mine started to post here, and invited me here.

I’m a modder…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scratchbuilder…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like to draw…
    [​IMG]
    Then Photoshop my scribbles…
    [​IMG]

I was a Klingon for my wedding…
    [​IMG]
    (Married, going on 10 years. No kids)

I have several diplomas, only a handful are used in my actual career.

Some of my friends are silly
    [​IMG]
    “I LIKE STUOOP!”

I’ve spent waaaay too much setting out my Master Mind in COV
    [​IMG]

I think Piccard was the better Captain.

The cake is a lie
    [​IMG]
    Which is one more reason pie is better.

Nice to meet ya!

Peace ~n~ Kittens

13. SupAJ1M

SupAJ1M Lieutenant

supaj1m

14. yellowdingo

yellowdingo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Published poet and short story writer with loyalties to a long dead Commonwealth that has little similarity to the corrupted tyranny that stands in its place. Second class Ego Maniac (if I had been a first class ego-maniac there would be a statue to me in every city-state under my rule).

15. TrekGuide.com

TrekGuide.com Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am a "retired" newspaper editor (since "journalism career" became an oxymoron sometime in the middle of last year). My journalism degree now qualifies me to ask important and probing questions (e.g., "Do you want fries with that?").

My interests can best be summed up in my Web sites listed in my signature.

16. TerriO

Welcome aboard, everyone! :)

17. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm recently graduated with a Master's in Theoretical Physics. I specialized in general relativity, quantum field theory and cosmology, and spent most of my final year studying various aspects of black holes. I'm also interested in various aspects of Unix and computer programming, so yeah, I'm a pretty big techie...

18. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

one question FlyingLemons: Why is it called "Theoretical Physics" what does that mean? I always thought physics was the application of theories?

any way welcome to the board my story is quite different but I like to think or should I describe it as to tell myself that I am actually thinking about something important sometimes.

Hamstar: woe Klingon wedding woe. and welcome to this corner of the trek desk.

19. Rob Hal

Rob Hal Vice Admiral Admiral

Theoretical physics tends to deal in the abstract side of physics; it focuses mainly on the mathematics rather than on the experimental or the observational parts of the discipline. Examples of topics of study in theoretical physics might be general relativity, cosmology, quantum field theory, etc... Just as an example of how theoretical physics is sometimes perceived: at my institution, the Theoretical Physics program falls under the Applied Mathematics department rather than the Physics and Astronomy department.

While I'm here, I guess I should introduce (reintroduce?) myself... I'm a long time member here, but haven't been around for a good five years or so. Some of the long-time members may remember me as the TNG forum moderator back in the day. I'll be stopping by the forum here from time to time to see what's being discussed.

I'm currently a doctoral candidate in theoretical astrophysics, so I have a fairly good physics knowledge (just don't ask me to start naming constellations in the sky... I'm not an observer!)

20. Urge

Urge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello.

Im a dropout from my university, but I was halfway on the masters-degree before it finaly got to boring. I studied society-planning, a subject that mixes the most boring parts of state-science, sociology, social-antropology, philosophy, and some other stuff into a mix that..... Well, Im not good at lying, so if I should ever try to find a job that my education is relevant for (Apparently, planners are supposed to work within the byraucracy, give guidance to municipal-leaders, and some other areas) and my future employer asks me what I know that is usefull for him or here, the answer will be "nothing"

Perhaps I should have studied something cosmology or physics instead? To bad I stink in math.... Or at least did so in college and high-school. Im thinking about trying again, and see if I can do better this time.

I also sometimes try to write science fiction, but I tend to stop in the midle of the story, probably because I realise that my writing has to many weaknesses.