MLB Talk - 2010 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    If you listen to the Fan 590, Bob blames the Jays blowups on Gaston constantly. :lol:

Instead we get umps sticking their heads into a booth for 5-10 minutes. People have said that tennis is the example of good replays - which is true - except that no other sport seems to be able to make them as good as the ones in tennis.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

And I personally think tennis is some bullshit animation made up to keep people happy. It doesn't seem possible that they could check it that quickly and simply.

Although, if they do have some magic system, using something similar for the foul posts for home runs makes lots of sense. I'd also argue that, on boundary calls like that, the review should be automatic (play is stopped anyway with either a homerun or a foul ball. It's one of the more ideal situations).

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, Ubaldo Jiminez gave up 2 runs but won again today, making his record 11-1 with a 0.92 era. That is absolutely insane!

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vazquez really came through today. I actually was thinking no-no there for awhile. Still can't get over that bit where they called Mo out and then sent him right back to the pen again... All because Pena changed his mind? :confused:

And...Holy crap! Mets come back from a 5-run deficit to win it 7-6!!! :techman:

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What a crazy game in Pittsburgh today. Back and forth and Wilson unfortunately blowing a save only to get the win. It was a decent win, but I really don't want to see Molina and Rowand in the line up any more. What's wrong with Whiteside, who is more productive than Molina anyway, and anyone could be better than Rowand. The only reason Rowand is still there is because he plays good defense. Well, defense sucks if the offense fails to dilever, which was a lot today.

I would love to see Posey not demoted in the line up (What the heck was that this weekend) but maybe bat third. I mean how about this line up:

Torres CF
    Sanchez 2B
    Posey 1B
    Huff LF
    Uribe SS
    Sandoval 3B
    Scherholtz RF
    Whiteside C
    Pitcher

Why not try it. What could go wrong, no offense? That's pretty much what we have anyway.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't understand why RP Jesse Chavez is still on the roster.

7. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

I didn't realize that he hadn't had the bases loaded all season until this game. :wtf:

As I've said before, too bad they can't pitch him every night.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Granderson hits a grand slam! :techman:

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Strasburg debuts with 14 strikeouts.

7 innings.
    4 hits
    2 runs

10. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Dude looked like he was throwing a wiffle ball.

Absolutely stunning debut.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Way to go Ike Davis!!! Walk-off HR!!! :techman: :techman:

12. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, the Nats actually... won?

13. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

14. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Not only that, but he had 0 walks and struck out the last 7 batters he face. Who cares if it was the Pirates, that was some darned fine pitching!

16. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure if Strasburg could live up to all the hype, but he did. Great pitching debut.

As an aside: In an article about Strasburg, it was mentioned that no number one pick has ever made it into the Hall of Fame. I thought that was kind of odd.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The general numbers thrown around are that 90% of all draft picks don't make it, and 50% of first round picks don't make it. Of course, if you break it down even more, simply making it to the bigs isn't the same as being a bench guy, which isn't the same as being an average starter, which isn't the same as being a super stud, so the numbers get even thinner. The baseball draft is the biggest crapshoot of all professional sports drafts.

Some of the first overall picks since the draft began in 1965 -- Floyd Bannister, Harold Baines, Bob Horner, Darryl Strawberry, Mike Moore, Shawon Dunston, Tim Belcher, B.J. Surhoff, Andy Benes, Ben McDonald, Phil Nevin, Ron Blomberg, Danny Goodwin, Bill Almon, Al Chambers, Shawn Abner, Paul Wilson, Kris Benson.

Griffey will be the first to mall the Hall. A-Rod too. Is Chipper Jones HOF-worthy? Joe Mauer is there if he maintains his production.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Glad I drafted Strasburg for my fantasy team :)

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I've always said that the main criterion for the Hall of Fame is to be the best player at your position for a prolonged amount of time. If Chipper (who has a pretty decent argument for HoF status) makes it before Ron Santo, I will burn Cooperstown to the ground.

20. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think that the main criterion of the Hall of Fame is that you are, well, famous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.