Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it definitely sounds like he's throwing a temper tantrum.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Triumvirates seems to be a popular thing with Warner Brothers. The conversation with Affleck is a fascinating read too. I also didn't know that Nolan was considering to direct "Troy".

3. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man of Steel has grossed $168,790,947 in its first week, enough to make it the 22nd highest-grossing superhero film of all time, according to Box Office Mojo. They predict the film will pull in another $47 million this weekend. If so, it will pass Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Batman Forever, Thor, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Captain America: The First Avenger.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superhero.htm

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't sound that way at all.

Robinov's being pushed out. What his representatives are doing in response to that is what they're employed to do, which is to protect his career interests as best they can.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Man of Steel should end up as the 10th highest grossing superhero film domestically and probably the 8th or 9th highest grossing superhero film worldwide.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Thanks for this post. For some reason I thought it would have better numbers at this point but on further thought I guess it iss till doing well.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda surprised at the dropoff on Friday. I figured positive word of mouth would make more of a difference, but people clearly were more interested in seeing Pixar and Brad Pitt this week.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Positive what now? Man of Steel is a love it or hate it film with a low RT score. That's not positive word of mouth.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Audience word-of-mouth has been very positive. Its audience rating on RT is like thirty points higher than its critics rating.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Once the international numbers for the full weekend are in Man of Steel should be over $400 million worldwide. Superman Returns made $391 million in its entire run.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, the 71% weekend drop-off is higher than the massive 69% drop-off for Hulk during its second weekend back in 2003. Perhaps it is possible Man of Steel won't be the huge hit the opening weekend portended.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

71% is the Friday-to-Friday drop-off, which is inflated because the opening Friday includes the midnight sneaks. The drop-off for the full weekend looks to be about 65%, which is still hefty, but not as bad as Hulk.

It's locked to be a hit relative to its budget and a sequel is assured. Worst case scenario for the domestic gross is $275 million, and Warners will no doubt strive to give it the push it needs to get to $300 million. It's looking good for $400-450 million from international markets, so the worldwide gross should be north of $700 million.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There's usually consequences for that sort of thing. Cavill could end up in the direct-to-video bin right next to poor Brandon Routh.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

It already is, bumping up against 350 million worldwide in its first eleven days of release. A big domestic dropoff under these circumstances means nothing.

Nope.

15. davejames

Yeah it's almost certain we'll at least get a MOS sequel. But whether we still get a Justice League and other DC films seems a bit less certain now, I think.

Although if nothing else, the opening weekend numbers suggest that there IS an interest out there.

16. davejames

Looks like the estimate for the weekend is $41 mil, for a total of $210 mil. Which is still pretty impressive after two weeks.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The international gross has been updated: $188.3 million. The worldwide gross is now $398.3 million.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep. Huge hit, no problem.

19. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Its not like people are stopping seeing it either... I know plenty of people that give movies a pass for a couple weeks due to crowds and the like.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The movie's fine. I'm not too worried about it, this is just a crowded weekend with two big competitors eating away at its audience.