The Stephen King Megathread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Jan 28, 2011.

1. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read many of his books: Carrie, The Shining, Different Seasons, The Green Mile, Firestarter, Christine, The Talisman, It, Misery, The Mist, Hearts in Atlantis.

Will read Dreamcatcher, The Dead Zone, probably Gerald's Game and Insomnia later.

He generally creates good momentum and interesting characters, and especially interesting supernatural evil, but sometimes is a little too unserious (all the Lord of the Rings referencing in The Talisman, which near the end felt video gamish) or repetitive. I also don't really like his dismissive attitude to the fans.

2. Nathan_Heller

Nathan_Heller Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've read all the Stephen King novels with the exception of the Dark Tower series; I didn't care for them. I'm halfway through Under the Dome (very good novel).

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the eigth book in the dark tower series is now ready for pre-order april 3, 2011.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I assume you mean April of 2012? ;)

Also, the book is a mid-quel of sorts - set between volumes 4 and 5, I think.

5. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yep I am., my bad.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joyland was recently released in trade paperback only. It's actually reasonably priced, though. I picked it up

Under the Dome begins airing on June 24th

And probably the most exciting news, Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining will be released on September 24th.

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love King, had a great impact on me when I started reading. It was my favourite book when I was little, though The Stand is his best accomplishment.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now there was this blurb where both he and Carpenter had dreams of a huge godlike being walking past. We saw a little of that in The Mist.

Where did that quote come from?

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I want to see this just to find out how they change the silly ending from the book...