Trek TOS movie Bridge Displays

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Melonpool, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi all!

It's been awhile, but I posted awhile back about my Star Trek TMP-inspired puppet film I've been working on. Production has continued slower than I'd like it to, but it's still chugging along. So far,we've almost finished the set and are nearing the point of actually shooting the thing. The original thread can be found here.

Anyway, I have a few of the round cut out screens around the bridge that I want to put repeating animations in like the ones they had on the TMP-TSFS bridges. I've seen several Flash recreations of a lot of these displays across the web, but need a lot more -- I also need to be able to replace the Enterprise graphics with graphics of my ship which looks like a giant mallard duck.

I do know how to work in Flash -- but I have to churn out a ton of these for the set. I was wondering if any of you fellow fan film makers might have some .flv files I could modify for my purposes from some of your films? I'd of course give you credit if I used them.

Thanks in advance! Below in an example of the screens I'm talking about from ST-TMP:

[​IMG]

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

The majority of our animated panel displays are taken from TMP. You can have access to them if you wish. Just let me know.

3. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

You may also wish to contact Ken over at Starship Saladin...

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

So, wait, so you're looking for TMP type vector display graphics? That's a terrible screenshot because you can hardly see what the images on the screens are.

5. Melonpool

Yeah -- I'm sort of looking for the vector look. I'll see if I can find some better screenshots. They don;t have to be exact -- n fact, I'd love it if they were in the same vain, but not a direct rip off.

Randy -- thank you so much! I've always thought of our two productions as "sister" productions since we both started at approximately the same time. You've definitely been more productive, though!

Steve

6. Melonpool

Here are some better screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically, I'm sort of looking for Lee Cole-ish style graphics -- or really anything that would look decent in those round monitors. The Okudagrams from Star Trek IV would work as well. I plan to cycle through all of the graphics throughout the movie, so the animation can be any length really.

Thanks!

7. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Check your PMs. :)

8. Melonpool

Thanks! I'll have to download them tonight when I'm home. Will let you know which ones I use!

Steve

9. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Those are really well done! Would be cool to see some TOS movie versions :)

11. Melonpool

Those are awesome! Our displays wouldn't actually need to be functional (since puppets can't work buttons) and would have to fit into the 7-inch round screens.

By the en of this week, I should have the set pretty much done. If you're interested in helping out by modifying some of the outstanding work you've already done (or letting us use your working files as a starting point), please let me know!

Steve

12. Solarbaby

Inbox me for my email. I'd be happy to help out. I'm actually looking forward to TOS movie style graphics

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

If you have any desire to have the Lost In Space center console moire graphic pattern, I have a loop of it. Go to this video (link) and jump to 7:45 to see the pattern.

14. Solarbaby

Sorry I am not sure I understand. Do you want these screens to be animated but not interactive? Or are they just going to be static screens?

Edit. SOrry was having a blonde moment. SO you want the animations as flvs?

15. Melonpool

Sorry if I was a little vague. I actually took off most of last week trying to get the set finished -- it's closer at least. ;)

Anyway, yes -- I'd just need animations. If they could loop for a couple of minutes, that would be great.

Because the set is about half scale, I actually have a single computer monitor running two monitors on the set (one monitor = two holes in the set). My plan was to composite everything and male quicktime movies to play on the set, but I'm not 100% sure of the final placement of the monitors in the holes, so I'd want to be able to edit the animations, if necessary.

I hope this makes sense. I do have views of the ship we're using that's already a vector file in Illustrator. My plan was to have animations more or less like the ones in the TOS movies, but substitute our ship for the Enterprise.

Also, I'm not opposed to creating entirely new animations, so long as they're in the same vein and conform to the circular holes already cut in the set. The holes are 7 inches round, if that helps.

Here are the ship files, if you want them:

http://www.melonpool.com/tmp/duck_parts.zip

Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing anything that results from all this!

Steve

16. Melonpool

That would be great! I could totally use that!

17. Solarbaby

Is 7 inches the diameter of the circle?

18. Solarbaby

Here's a quickie

[​IMG]

19. Melonpool

That's awesome! We can totally use that!

Sorry -- my mistake -- the hole actually has a 6 inch diameter. We do want to have a little bit of bleed around the hole, though so if it's not exactly aligned it won't be too noticeable. I guess the "live area" for the animation should be about 5.75 inches and the bleed for the black background should be about 6.5 inches.

20. Solarbaby

That's cool. I'll work on a few tonight. I couldn't open the IA files you sent as I don't have illustrator.

Would it not be simpler to add the displays with green screen afterwards?

What class of ship is it? I could add a graphic around that. Maybe "quog"ify it to go with the puppet style. Or just normal if you so want.