Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not totally up-to-date, and doesn't give months for everything, but here's the online version of the Voyages of Imagination Star Trek novel timeline (thanks to Therin, who posted it in another thread. My Google-fu is weak)

http://sites.google.com/site/stvotitimeline/

2. Travis Chesser

Travis Chesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks guys, those two sites helped a lot! There are a few books published since they've been updated, so if anyone can help me out with the following I'd appreciate it:

Watching the Clock begins in March 2381 - is that pretty consistent with the entire timeframe?
    The Struggle Within ebook? Any dates?
    Zero Sum Game I know is mid 2382
    Seize the Fire is around the same time frame through late August
    how about Paths of Disharmony dates?
    Indistinguishable from Magic dates?
    Forgotten history begins in Feb 2383
    Rough Beasts of Empire dates? I know this one covers a longer span, but curious about the months?
    And Plagues of Night is April 2382-August 2383. If anyone can help me with the others I'd appreciate it.

3. Travis Chesser

Oh, and Titan: Synthesis too, sorry.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't understand the question. If you mean whether the book is consistent with the other novels set in the 2380s, then yes, it is. The book begins in March '81, but continues through to February '82, covering roughly the same span as Rough Beasts of Empire, though the two books mostly take place in each other's gaps. It also contains many flashbacks to earlier dates.

RBoE is February '81 to Feb '82. ZSG begins in April '82 and is mostly in August of that year. StF is around August. PoD is a bit over a year after Picard and Crusher's son is born, making it aorund October. TSW is mid-November to early December '82. IfM part 1 is early January to mid-February '83, and IfM part 2 is mid-March to early April '83. The Forgotten History frame story takes place between IfM's two haves.

5. Travis Chesser

Thanks Chris, sorry for the confusion regarding my first question, you answered exactly what I was wondering (when it went up to date wise). Thanks for the answers! 2/3 of the way through Watching the Clock and really enjoying it!

6. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I am sucker for books with annotations. If i want to read Warpath can i get into it without reading to many other books set before that featuring teh books main characters? Is there a lot of followup to Warpath in other book or comics?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does follow up a cliffhanger from the third worlds of DS9 story, and sets up some events that are followed up on in the following DS9 books, and the books in another series. But, if you want you could still probably read it by itself, it just won't have quite the impact as it would if you'd read the events leading into, and continue the story into the next books.

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be like the first Star Trek movie or episode you ever watched was The Search For Spock. It would be good, but no were near as good as it could be.

9. Drago-Kazov

Anybody who could recommand a book with annotations which can stand on its on not from Bennet?

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The first three Vanguard books are annotated (Harbinger, Summon The Thunder, Reap The Whirlwind), and assuming you read them in order they don't require any other novels to understand. Plus they're totally badass.

Section 31: Rogue stands alone, but it's not especially great as a novel. Not bad but not noteworthy.

Sword Of Damocles, the fourth Titan novel, also stands alone reasonably well. There aren't too many ongoing stories through the Titan novels. You mention Bennett, though, so there's a chance you've read Orion's Hounds (book 3) anyway. If you haven't read Titan at all, just start with Orion's Hounds; the first two are kind of a side-story, and book 3 gets the series really going.

11. ryan123450

Isnt Ex Machina annotated? Thats a great stand alone.

12. ryan123450

Oops missed the "not" in that post. Nevermind.

13. Drago-Kazov

I have read most of Vanguard. I give Rogue a chance, Does Sword of Damocles has page by page annotations somewhere? I could not find it.

14. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Not page by page, no, but he does have some notes about writing it if you click on the links labelled "one" through "four" on the right on this site: http://damoclesannotated.blogspot.com/

15. Drago-Kazov

It might do, afterall the Section 31 book has Picard as main character and the Titan books have a brand new cast.

16. Drago-Kazov

Was The Best and the Brightest contradicted by any other books or comics?

17. Drago-Kazov

What about Klingons Blood Will Tell the comic mini?

18. ryan123450

Blood Will Tell references the Quch'Ha name for the altered Klingons from the Lit-verse.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The credit for coining QuchHa' goes to the Klingon Language Institute and its head Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen. Both the novels and Blood Will Tell consulted the KLI for that terminology, though I gather it was coined for Vanguard: Summon the Thunder first.

20. Drago-Kazov

Then i will check this out.