Arnold Schwarzenegger - The Last Stand

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JarodRussell, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched it this weekend and also enjoyed it, though no, JarodRussell, it isn't nearly as memorable as his sci-fi classic The 6th Day. :p

From what I'd read, I was ready for the FBI scenes to be dull as dirt, but they were very short and not at all bad, and the villain's initial escape was pretty darn cool. Fun Harry Dean Stanton cameo also. Good to see Arnold back in popcorn movies where he belongs.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm eager for Escape Plan with him and Sly this October, that's my next must see film after Riddick this weekend.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it and I liked it, decent little action flick, liked the cast and the setting, now I wana set up an antique weapons museum.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw this movie last night and was pleasantly surprised. It's not what I would have expected from Schwarzenegger. It was very much an action movie, but it was a quieter piece more along the lines of No Country for Old Men or Heat. And yeah, it looked like something that could have been directed by Michael Mann. It had his look and feel. Between this and Escape Plan, Schwarzenegger's comeback has been pretty good. He's maturing as an actor by acknowleging his age, by playing characters that are a little more well rounded and by not not having to be center stage all the time with the best lines. His latest efforts shouldn't be dismissed as more of the same.

I wasn't sure if he said "you give those immigrants a bad name" or "you give us immigrants a bad name."

5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

^he said "Us"

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to see it last weekend and I quite enjoyed it. It’s nothing earth shattering but it was fun, action packed and I thought Arnie was on good form. To be honest the only think I disliked about it was Johnny Knoxville’s character.

Saw Escape Plan at the cinema Wednesday as well…been an awful long time since I saw two Arnie films for the first time in succession!

If Escape Plan proves one thing, it’s that Arnie has a lot more charisma and screen presence than Sly…and also that both of them are streets ahead of Vinny Jones. Seriously how does that guy get work?

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Escape Plan was absolutely awesome and Arnold's best performance in ages, if not his best performance ever. I the breakdown scene.

Too bad Escape Plan isn't performing that well. Extremely underrated.

8. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Overall i'm happy about Arnies comeback, he's getting in better shape too which is good.

I just hope every film he's in they don't keep going on about his age "i'm too old for this" etc etc

We can see he's an older guy, he's still the size of an outhouse, just make sure his fight scenes are beliable for a guy his age and leave it at that.

9. JarodRussell

There's no addressing of his age in Escape Plan.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's a shame moviegoers seem to have shunned this and Escape Plan(although for comparisons it's doing better). I even enjoyed Bullet to the Head. I admit it's script was very DDVD but Stallone elevates it to be worth watching.

11. Shakaar

Shakaar Captain Captain

I really like The Last Stand as well. Thought it was great fun and a great throwback to old-style action films. I also really appreciated the use of Luis Guzman. Every time he shows up on screen in anything, I can't help but smile. Loved him in The Count of Monte Cristo, another somewhat underrated film IMHO.

I also enjoyed Bullet to the Head, especially Jason Momoa's character. He's another guy that I want to see more of. I thought he was good as Conan, although the movie itself wasn't up to par.

And, of course, Drogo.

12. JarodRussell

It seems to me that Escape Plan wasn't even promoted by anyone. It was just there and gone.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

His upcoming film Maggie sounds good. He plays a farmer who's daughter gets infected by a zombie virus and they both have to deal with the fact that she's going to turn.

Article

14. JarodRussell

Not sure what to think of that. This might be Arnold's attempt at doing a character piece, but at the same time, it's about a Zombie?

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, sounds intriguing, and Abigail Breslin's great. He seems to be throwing himself into a wide variety of stuff, which is good to see.

16. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Got to see Last Stand this past weekend and I too, was pleasently surprised.. The one-liner puns were kept to a minimum, and he certainly acted his age.. The movie, unlike shows like Commando (etc) never took itself too seriously and I was tickled to see Albuquerque stand in as Las Vegas (with the strip CGI'd) into the background for the wide shots...

17. JarodRussell

Commando took itself seriously?

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Commando's fucking comedy gold! It's why I always loved Arnie's movies more than, say, Stallone's, cos Arnie's stuff never took itself seriously, and always knew it was OTT bollocks

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

"I don't know why they don't call him Girl George, it would cut the note of confusion..."

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"Remember when I said I'd kill you last?"
    "yes?"
    "I lied"