TNG #36 Into The Nebulae

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Dec 16, 2012.

?

Rate This Book

1. Excellent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Above Average

37.5%
  3. Average

37.5%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor (aka see The Doctor and take two Aspirin)

25.0%
  1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Into The Nebula
    By Gene DeWeese
    TNG #36
    Published 1995

I just finished "Into The Nebula" a few days ago, and I really don't get the whole point of the novel. I can understand the first contact with the ship, even though it is a sublight vessel with no warp (as I recall Voyager encountered a similar vessel in its Section 31 book) since the aliens would've been open to first contact (but it's funny how nothing is ever mentioned about the ship after the Enterprise leaves it).

But other than that, I have no idea what exactly the story was about? Pollution of space????????????

But I did like how DeWeese used Spot and her brother Fido (who I never knew existed til this novel) in a major plot arc with the transportation device.

But this book was really reminding me of "Power Hungry" that I believe DeWeese also wrote and the ending was more or less not resolved.

Rating: 2.5 out of 10.

2. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I really liked it.

The idea of
    matter being converted into some primordial material that was choking a world
    was lots of fun, I thought.

Shout out to steady state theory put a smile on my face too

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, that was the first of Howard Weinstein's three TNG novels.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's my least favourite TNG novel. I found this one quite dire; a very hard read. I know DeWeese was popular with techie fans ("Chain of Attack" being the first new novel after ST IV, and thus is fondly remembered by many then-new fans), but I struggled with most of his later works.

One day when I proclaimed here that I couldn't really remember anything about it, except that they went into a nbula, Gene DeWeese popped up to agree that neither could he.

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading reading Into the nebula a few weeks ago and I liked this novel and also Chain of attack.It the first time I've read both of these novels.