Red Dwarf XI

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lonemagpie, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Huzzah! I thought Series "X" was pretty good. Obviously the show will never ever reclaim the glory days of S3-6, but it's still always great to see it come back.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Series X was pretty good, but doesn't come anywhere near how great series IX was, of course. ;)

Okay, in all seriousness, awesome news. The wait kind of sucks, but I'm satisfied knowing that a new season is guaranteed.

4. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I keep losing the Dave channel, hope I will have it sorted by 2015.

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Kryten, I'm trying to sort out my ambivalence. Red Dwarf, at least Series 1-6 plus 8, are consistently on the best-things-I've-ever-watched-ever-ever list. Series X looked and sounded to me like a bunch of people who've been doing the same thing for 25 years and not knowing what to do anymore.

I suppose that was somewhat the point of it all, but as awesome as those awesome years were, I was hoping for more than just more of the same. The "good" series also went through their own eras, with 1-2, 3-5, 6 and 8 almost being different shows in terms of look and feel. Series X didn't have that for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching and enjoying the next series too; I just hope they can capture the best years of the show not only in how those shows felt, but also in a new way.

Mark

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It's a shame Grant & Naylor can't work things out. The show was best with both of them working together.

Series' 3-6 were the absolute greatest. Series X was a step or two up from BTE, which seemed quite forced.

Looking forward to more though. I wonder if we'll see the scutters back in XI.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I want Holly back! Norman Lovitt would be my preference but Hattie Hayridge would do. (Heck, Jane Leeves was one of the few decent things about the American version.)

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I doubt Norman Lovett will be coming anywhere near it. Not after his outburst about not being in BTE.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I hope get some more high concept stories this series. I liked Series X but it felt a bit too much of a step back. There was certainly nothing on the level of "Backwards." But perhaps they just wanted to reintroduce the characters and play it safe lest another series not get commissioned.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The show works best when they're telling an action science fiction storyline as well as being funny.

11. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well... I hated season three, as I liked season two - a well made trapped together sitcom that was also SF. By season four I'd accepted the change and coul enjoy the new approach. And so on as it kept changing, for good or bad.
    Doubt Rob would come back. No grudges, just he's moved on. 20 years on.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Given the ratings it got on Dave it's hardly suprising that they've ordered a new batch of episodes. Perhaps they could have ordered them earlier than this but perhaps the delay was down to actor negotiations.

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Probably also actor availability, given Craig Charles' and Danny John Jules' commitments to Corrie and Death In Paradise respectively.

14. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Overall? certainly. Though the moose joke sequence from the last season was as good as anything Dwarf has ever put out!

I'm happy another season is coming. My only real disappointment with X was that there were no cast commentaries on the dvds!

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

More Red Dwarf is always good news. Bout time we got back to work though right?