The Reunion: Doctor Who on Radio 4

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by diankra, Apr 2, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Doctor Who edition of The Reunion is on Radio 4 next Sunday at 11.15an, with a repeat on the following Friday at 9am, and the usual podcasts and Listen Again option http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rqgz3 .
    The format, for those who don't know, is that various people involved with some events (from pop culture like the surviving cast of The Navy Lark, to tragedies like the King's Cross tube fire - firefighters, survivors, tube managers) are brought togetehr for a studio discussion about the events, responding to recorded interviews as well, For this edition, the studio group are Waris Hussein, William Russell, Carole Anne Ford, Jeremy Young (Kal in the first serial, and the bus driver in Asylum of the Daleks) and Peter Purves.

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Is this show available as a podcast through iTunes or somewhere else (legally)? Or is it region-locked?

3. diankra

Well, it'll be available as a podcast from the Radio 4 site, and on listen again, but as I'm in the UK I don't know if the BBC site is region locked - I guess someone outside the UK will have to check! Just follow the link and see if it'll let you hear the past editions to find out.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007x9vc/episodes/player

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just tried another episode; it's not region-locked. Generally speaking, I've noticed that while video content on BBC websites is locked, radio stuff isn't.

5. diankra

Another radio heads-up I've just spotted in Radio Times: the guests on tomorrow's Graham Norton show on Radio 2 (that's Saturday 6th April, 10am to 1pm) are Suranne Jones, Fraser Hines and Carole Ann Ford.

6. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I listened to this tonight, it didn't have an interesting revelations but was nice to hear the round table chat and they even managed a snippet from Matt Smith.

Are there no surviving archive interviews with Hartnell?

7. diankra

Possibly not. He was on Desert Island Discs (the series that alternates with The Reunion in six week batches), but that doesn't survive, and I think it might have been before his time on Who anyway.

8. Pindar

That's a real shame, it's one thing to hear his relatives talk about him but there's nothing like getting the actors personal memories direct.

9. diankra

Did a quick bit of checking, and Hartnell's Desert Island Discs edition of Desert Island Discs was August 65, so he'll definitely have talked about Who. Jon Pertwee was the guest in October 64 (when he almost certainly didn't mention Who), and Ron Grainer on 25th November 1963, when I guess he might just have mentioned his most recent piece of work...
    And, in related news, there was a news oddment yesterday that 67 missing episodes of DiD had been found. Don't get too excited, as the series has been running since 1942 and I think the archive is only complete since 1992, so there's a lot missing, but there's an outside chance that the Hartnell edition might be one of them (can't find a link that says what has been found).

10. Pindar

I'll keep my fingers crossed because I would love to hear that.