DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the actual outfit really isn't that bad, they just need to lose the sleeves. I understand they want to keep the fishnets, but there had to be a better way to work them in. I don't see why they couldn't have just put her in shorts, and then had the fishnets with them.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that would be the DC editorial staff in the mid 1980s. Their solution to that was...novel. :lol:

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen plenty of sleeves like that. :)

:shifty:

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

At least from the covers, Zatanna's costume looks fine IMO. She looks like a psuedo goth chick on any given day of the week.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

What, she's chubby now?

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope...she's got pants! ;)

7. theenglish

I said "pseudo".

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Okay, I don't get it. All the fussing about Didio making trouble with his remark about Crisis, and when I finally read it, it makes complete sense and there's nothing a reasonable person could find incendiary in it:

That's pretty much the way I've understood the relaunch to work - it's the way it makes sense, and the approach looks pretty well thought out to me - those events which work for the new versions of the characters may be brought into continuity when they serve story purposes, and other things won't. It certainly seems like a more flexible approach than the theory behind COIE, so they've learned a little in 25 years.

Bleeding Cool compares the glitches with stuff in the relaunch to debugging a computer program - "These things are mindbogglingly complex, and big relaunches always have consequences that go unnoticed until you get the thing out there into the world and people start actually using it for awhile" - which, as someone who's worked as a programmer, makes a lot of sense to me too.

9. Admiral_Young

It does make sense but instead of going for a shock announcement on twitter like he did which he knew would get fans all wiled up he should have taken the time like he just did and explained the decision. Instead DiDio and others love making these types of announcements. I just find it funny all these little tid bits keep coming out.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Fans use "should" in all kinds of interesting ways. :lol:

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

One, reason is in short supply to many comic book fans. Two, people have an irrational hatred of Didio.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

I know so few of these personalities. As a Trek fan, though, I do grasp the notion of laying every shortcoming in something I like at the feet of one or two people who are "in charge." :lol:

Don't the editors at DC and Marvel all change with some frequency, though, every few years? It must get exhausting.

13. Admiral_Young

^ Not really. They shuffle the editors around on books/groupings. Marvel has seen some change in the last couple of years since Quesada was promoted and basically given the same job Geoff Johns has at DC Ent. Some editors have been editors of their book/groups for a few years now.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes thats usually when they change companies. The current EiC at DC was the guy that had the job at Marvel before Quesada. Likewise the current EiC at Marvel was a editor of Vertigo. Spider-books editor was a former DC editor. Bat books a former X-Books editor. Superbooks editor also got his start at Marvel.

Didio is an outsider. He use to do soap operas and transformers. He also got retroactively hated on by those people after they found out about his involvement in those areas.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Soap operas as in TV soaps?

Never mind - I'm reading about him on Wikipedia. TV soaps. So he knows another business.

16. Admiral_Young

I don't mind DiDio...used to love his 20 questions session on Newsarama before DC went through their huge editorial change and DC Ent was created. Now he seems to interact less with the fans than he did before. He has Berman and Braga type hatred with some fans.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

I see over at Deadline that he was considered to be in big trouble and expected to lose his job over the summer of 2008. Things have certainly turned around. :lol:

18. theenglish

Does anybody know when the digital comics from the first week will be a dollar cheaper?

Will it be this Wednesday?

Also, I suggest opening a new DC thread this week for month two so new readers will find it easier to get on board.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished up my weeks reads by polishing off Firestorm and Jonah Hex.

Fury of Firestorm #1 - the only book of the relaunch I bought that I was not satisfied with. First their both back in high school, the same school at that. Second, the contrived racial tension written into the characters. Lame. It's 2011, not 1970, but I guess that's what happens sometimes. The art was good and tease about how Killer Frost is going to apparently be linked to the Firestorm(s) is nice. Apparently there have been other Firestorms, or tests at least? It looked like a flashback showed 4 other "test subjects" as having experimented with the Firestorm matrix. Really don't know if I'll be back for issue 2.

All Star Western #1 - This tale of Jonah Hex in 1880's Gotham was a good read. Smart they kept the creative team from "old" DCU as they still have 'it'. Liked the art and the pseudo-Sherlock Holmes style narrative going on with Arkham. I'll for sure be getting issue #2. I'm wondering if at some point the title will have back-up features or split page count duties with say Scalphunter? It is after all All Star Western not Jonah Hex.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Orders for second issues of the relaunch may be up from the first issues in many cases:

DC Comics Issue 2 Orders To Outstrip Issue 1 Orders In Many Stores

He brings up something interesting: that direct retailers may be placing larger initial orders because of competition from the digital editions - some readers who come in to find the shop sold out may not return a second time to check on re-orders, but simply buy the sold-out title on the Internet in the interim.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011