Michael Okuda: Buy TNG Blu-ray sets to get DS9 on Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Apr 10, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If you note the first thing I said. I'm waiting for the complete set to come out. The complete set has a good chance of being chepaer overall than buying the individual sets. As I said doing something speical with the individual sets like steelbooks would no doubt have enticed me to buy the what is likely to be dearer overall individual sets. So they might have lost money.

Remember for the DVD releases they came in hard plastic shells.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone else find it ironic as all heck that they market a show that preaches the evils of capitalism and how primitive money is... to make a lot of money? :p

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Na, we live in a capitalist society.

4. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

The money isn't in physical media like BD anymore the real money to be made is online streaming like Netflix and downloads off of itunes and the like. I think that CBS will go ahead and remaster DS9 and VOY just to say they have the whole catalog in HD if nothing else, remember the broadcast tapes that DS9 and VOY are on aren't getting any younger. Yeah it will cost a lot to remaster DS9 and VOY but it will also coast a lot to shut down and restart a restoration project vs. just continuing.
    The important eps like 'Q Who' and 'Measure of a Man' were all done correctly the sloppy work in season 2 was bad and I'm glad HTV got booted from the rest of the seasons so this won't happen again. I still think S2 is worth a purchase but at a discount.
    You must be talking about the R2 DVD release, I see they re-released the different series on DVD in thin paks I wish R1 would get those instead of the cheap cardboard fold out cases that fall apart after you open them once.

5. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Ok I bought them all, now can I get DS9!

6. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

It would be amazing if a Sovereign or two were snuck into the DS9 fleets, and maybe Ambassadors and a few other classes too.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the fairly lackluster first season of DS9, I think a smart move might be to release another "sampler" set first with some of the stronger episodes on it.

Just to create a bit more buzz and remind people of how good the show actually was.

8. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ I think the general consensus is that is was better than TNG's first two seasons.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would agree. Plus Emissary is a very strong premiere. Way better than EaF, Caretaker or Broken Bow, IMO. And while DS9 had Move Along Home, TNG had Angel One. :lol:

The "Circle" trilogy to start off season 2 was really good too. Better than 90% of TNG season 2.

If they were to do a sampler, I think Emissary, The Visitor and Way of the Warrior would be a great way to kick-start interest.

10. DS9forever

DS9's first season is also only 19 episodes compared to TNG's 25, making it easier and cheaper to remaster DS9's first season.

I've also noticed the second half of DS9's first season is a lot stronger than the first half.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I love Move Along Home.

12. Syd

Syd Ensign Newbie

I think Emissary, The Visitor & Trials & Tribble-ations would be my choices for a sampler if they went that way. They can include the updated TOS blu ray footage in Trials too as an added bonus.

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Maybe it's not the TV stations that are not airing the shows, maybe CBS has put some sort of hold on DS9 for whatever reason and it's been yanked from syndication, like Enterprise was yanked from Syndication when CBS started to Remaster TOS.

But even though it would be nice to eventually see DS9 on Blu-Ray (and not the way "Trials and Tribble-ations" was done on the TOS Season 2 Blu-Ray) I'm surprised CBS hasn't put the Animated series out on Blu or announced that since it received its HD Remastering back in 2006.

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trials and Tribble-ations is too 'money' to waste on a sampler.

Many fans wondered why BOBW wasn't on the TNG sampler. It's simple - that episode was a potential gold mine, and look what happened. If BOBW was put on the TNG sampler, fewer would buy a standalone release or attend the Fathom screening.

Trials and Tribble-ations is DS9's BOBW.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I disagree. When I think TNG, I almost immediately think about The Best of Both Worlds. When I think DS9, Trials and Tribble-ations is the farthest thing from my mind.

You need episodes that the fanbase loves not episodes that are overtly nodding to other series. In my opinion.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I were doing the sampler, I would have to include In the Pale Moonlight. Isn't that like DS9's most popular episode? I would also do Emissary and probably The Visitor, but I was thinking about episodes where we can spotlight the visual effects. Maybe Way of the Warrior.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Emissary, Pale Moonlight, The Visitor and FBTS (maybe) would make me happy. Pale Moonlight and The Visitor aren't too FX heavy are they?

18. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Obviously, so he can say "Buy DS9 Blu-ray to get VGR on Blu-ray." soon. ;)

Is there actually any original TOS effect in there? IIrc, all effect scenes are newly done for that episode anyway. If not, it hast to be mastered in multi-angle, of course, so you can choose original or updated TOS effects, just like you can on the TOS Blu-rays.

19. DS9forever

"Move Along Home" would actually look pretty good on Blu-ray; the episode had some great sets due to a runaway budget.

20. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

It's Star Trek! CBS's biggest cash cow. Eventually, they will release DS9, VOY, and TAS on Blu ray.