New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jan 4, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the trailer
    I really like this kind of urban fantasy stuff, and so far Syfy has a pretty good track record with original series for me, so I'm looking forward to this. Anyone else gonna check it out?
    EDIT: One other element that they don't touch on in that description is the fact that there are good and bad Fae, and at a certain point they are supposed choose a side. But Bo hasn't chosen a side yet, so along with the mystery of the week mentioned in that description, there appears to be a bigger story about the conflict and Bo's role as a "free agent" as they put it in one of the trailers.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't know SyFy was carrying this now. I've seen the promos for the show's previous seasons on Showcase but never got into it, it's a Canadian series filmed in Toronto if I'm not mistaken.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, didn't know that. Do you have any idea what kind of a reaction it got when it aired up there?

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely none. I think in it's third season here now. Not sure if SyFy is showing it from the start or what.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The show started airing on Showcase in Canada in September 2010. The first season had 13 episodes. Right now, it's just over halfway through its second season, which consists of 22 episodes, and has been renewed for a third.

6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw the first 2 episodes, thought it was crap.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Not much of a prelaunch topic if it has been out for YEARS. :rommie:

8. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny enough, I picked up watching this series last week. I've seen everything up to the last aired of season 2 and overall, I'd have to say, it's a nice, light urban fantasy series.

Anna Silk plays Bo, a "Lost" Fae who never knew what she was, raised by humans, and as a result never aligned herself with either the Light or Dark Fae. She also never learned to control her fae abilities which has left a trail of bodies in her wake.

The sidekick Kenzi, played by Ksenia Solo is a really talented actress who shows a nice range the deeper into the series you go. She's kinda the half 'Heart', half 'Comic Relief', all Attitude.

If you're interested, there's an arc-based storyline that weaves throughout the standard "of-the-week" fare.

I originally started watching the series because I'd enjoyed Anna Silk's guest stints on Being Erica and wanted to see her in another role, but now I'm willing to stick around and see where the story goes (despite a level of soap-opera romance) just because I like the characters and some of the concepts of "Fae" presented thus far.

Side Note: Maybe it's just Canadian production geared for a Canadian market, but there's a level of "Not-Nudity" Nudity that's kind of surprising at first glance.

I'd be interested to hear some opinions from those that have actually seen the series.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've heard about this, but never seen it. I'll have to check it out.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

She was well known for her role as Deb in that NicoDerm commercial...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXl0nTjcrzs[/yt]

11. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

It'll be interesting to find out if Syfy airs the original version or a censored version. The version we see up here goes into L Word territory fairly often. I've only seen a few bits of pieces but it sort of strikes me as Buffy meets Highlander: The Raven meets, well, L Word. My main interest in the show is because it stars Anna Silk; so it's sort of a Summer Glau scenario - fans don't care what the show is, they just want to see her. Fortunately for Anna made-for-cable Canadian series tend to be harder to kill off for ratings than something that airs on Fox or NBC.

Alex

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sure it is. Title of the thread very clear states it's a pre-launch thread for it airing on SyFy. It's never aired on SyFy (or on any National American Channel that I am aware of)

13. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there nudity? I don't see why simply having lesbians on the show should be a problem otherwise.

I don't recall nudity in the 2 episodes I watched.

14. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I recall it had naked butts, lots of side boob, and plenty of moan and groans. It's PG pushed to its limit. If they don't air a toned down version it will be pretty racy for Syfy.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the adds I saw did promote it as being uncut, so it sounds like it might not be censored. It sounds like most of what's been shown is pretty much on par with what's been seen on some of the shows on FX, so it is possible it will be aired with the nudity.

16. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have watch the first three episodes of the first season. Its OK so far, not great but better than some other shows that I have sampled of late. I will probably watch the whole of the first season.

17. Technobuilder

^Oh that's funny. Ha. (First time I've ever seen that.)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was good. I've never seen it either.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this has probably already aired in most of the country, but it's starting in about 10 minutes here. This looks like fun, and most of the reviews on Metacritic were ok to good, so I'm looking forward to it.

20. Technobuilder

Well, let us know what you thought.