A great way to spend 55 minutes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Kelso, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I think with DS9 you basically have to love the characters to enjoy the show, which can't really happen after ANY first episode. It takes a committment! Sad but true.

2. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It takes commitment just watching season 1, but at least the series rewards you from season 3 and onwards...

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Well, that didn't work! She sat down for about 30 seconds before heading off into the other room.

While she was in there, I snuck in another DS9 ep., "Looking for Par'Mach in All The Wrong Places." Man, maybe I should have shown her THAT one first! :lol:

Ah, well.

Yeah, that's the thing. *I* think these episodes are brilliant because I love the characters. To an outsider, I might as well be watching Zoobilee Zoo.

Nah, I think it's a lost cause. She likes TNG a bit, but thinks TOS is corny and DS9 is boring. Nobody's perfect. :)

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I definitely think "Way of the Warrior" was too heavy an episode to get them started. Look for an episode with Worf that also has a decent comedy angle. That may help bring her around. :mallory:

5. Ln X

Yeah like Looking for par'Mach in all the Wrong Places

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

And never ever ever show Let He Who is Without Sin...ever.

7. Kelso

I bumping this thread because I've begun yet again to try and force DS9 on my fiance... and it's working a bit this time! I've been skipping around a bit, cherry-picking episodes that I think she might like.

I started with "Doctor Bashir, I presume" because she's familiar with Picardo from Stargate: Atlantis and it has some comedy and romance. She enjoyed that one. While we were watching it she asked about female Ferengi, so I showed her "Rules of Acquisition" the next day. I didn't tell her that Pel was female, but she guessed it right before the reveal. She liked that one as well. She wanted to see another one with Pel but I had to disappoint her. Instead, we watched "House of Quark" which she also enjoyed. And then she picked "Little Green Men" from the Netflix list based on the title. She said that she likes the Ferengi episodes. We also watched "Let He Who is Without Sin..." which she liked well enough but it made me mad at Worf all over again. Uggh. No wonder I have seen this one since it originally aired.

But the good news is that she's diggin' some DS9! I may go with "Looking for Par'Mach..." next. Or maybe "Our Man Bashir" after we watch Skyfall.

8. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That... would be perfect.:techman:

9. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

How about Siege of AR-558. The greatest Trek epsiode ever, in my opinion...

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like "Image In The Sand" and "Shadows And Symbols" (the openers to S7), as they show who each of the characters are with their own storylines, introduce Ezri to the universe, show the friendships and bonds that exist, where they're at with the war, without really needing to know that much about the series to begin with.

11. Ln X

Try the Visitor, that episode will emotionally pull on anyone's heartstrings.

Children of Time, His Way and Duet might also work!

Keep trying man! You may yet make a DS9er of your fiancée!

12. Kelso

It's working!!

We've been watching DS9 like crazy lately and she's been loving it. I've been reading the first Typhon Pact book and that gave me the idea to show her "Statistical Probabilities" and "Chrysalis"- she loved those two. And then that same night she wanted to watch the one were Worf and Jadzia get married, but I urged her to watch the one where they first hook up... so we watched "Looking for Par'Mach..." and "You Are Cordially Invited..." She also loved both of those. After watching those four episodes she actually said, "Ya know, I might like DS9 better than Next Gen. It seems like the characters have better stories." !!!! That's huge! Next Gen has always been the *one* Star Trek show she likes!

She actually requested to watch DS9 last night. She wanted to go back and start watching the earlier episodes so I wouldn't have to continually pause the episode and explain what's going on... so last night we watched "Past Prologue", "Babel" and "Captive Pursuit." (I skipped "A Man Alone" because I loath it) I was nervous that she wouldn't like the season one episodes, but she enjoyed them.

I'm going to stop urging her to watch DS9 and see if she asks to watch more on her own. I'm having a blast!

"The Visitor" would be a bad call at this time, unfortunately. She lost her dad to cancer a few months ago. I fear that episode might pull on the heartstrings a bit too hard right now.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I agree with your assessment. My dad died 42 years ago and I have problems with "The Visitor". My situation was similar to Jake's (mother already dead), and the episode reminds me that I didn't have the benefit of Dad's advice when becoming an adult.

14. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find a lot of S1's actually rather decent, so long as you enjoyed watching these characters in the latter seasons. Makes you appreciate those early developments far more, after having an idea of where they'll end up later. (Like Jadzia ending up DEAD despite the last line of Dax!)

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am very happy for you. You are so lucky. And your hard and patient work has payed off!

You started this thread in February :)

It's nice to read a happy story like this!

16. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

One of my favorite episodes that mixes the funny with the serious is "Treachery, Faith and the Great River." Might that be a good next stop on your quest?

Good job, btw. ;)