Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1st

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shilliam Watner, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Well it appears that the Republican Part is being viewed less favourable than the Democraatic Party according to this poll done by Gallup a few days into the shutdown.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165317/republican-party-favorability-sinks-record-low.aspx

The Democrats have sufferd a 4 point fall in favourability, whilst the Republican's have suffered a 10 point fall.

Now if I were a party leader, I wouldn't want to be reading that. And would be asking what we can do to improve our rating.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Those are national numbers. The Republicans are more worried about their rating in House districts they already control. Unless they are seeing a decline there, nothing will change.

3. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Meet Florida Republican Bill Young, he's one of a few GOP reps that was reelected last year in a district that the President won. He announced today that he won't run in 2014. That's one. ;)

Link

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I hope there a hundred more similar situations in Republican districts across the country. :techman:

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Won't happen in my district. My guy is a 20+ year veteran and the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, not to mention regularly reelected with ease in a district that in some respects is the most Republican in Virginia in spite of the presence of my little blue city.

We voted for Michael Dukakis when practically everything else in this district was redder than a baboon's ass. Rep. Goodlatte has never once been elected with anything under 60% of the vote and he's about as entrenched and locally popular as they come in spite of the biggest city here having a strong blue streak.

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

All I can say is that I'm in a weird position. I'm a 22 year old who has never had a job. My parents don't have, and won't get insurance (my mom works minimum wage and my dad gets money from the state because of work related injuries, although he's eventually going to be able to get a job again). We're definately a low income family (we get some state benefits like food assistance). Since I doubt I'll get a job between now and January, its going to be really interesting to see if they can fine someone with no income (and has never had income, so has never done taxes). Actually, knowing this country I'll probably end up in debtor's prison for the crime of not being able to pay what is essentially a tax on living :sigh:

I personally support anything the republicans can do about this. It's funny, because I'm mostly moderate with stuff. I go with Democrats when it comes to things like people's rights to marry whoever, etc, and I hate a lot of the republican BS spouted by people and channels like fox news. But economically I hate Democrats and especially Obamacare (and yes, I'm aware my family's state assistance is because I live in a democrat dominated state, they do a few good things but I still mostly hate democrats economic ideas, especially Obamacare). I hope the republicans find a way to do something about Obamacare, or I'm screwed. Obamacare literally keeps me up at night. Nothing like a looming deadline for something you can't avoid or afford to give you tons of stress.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Two things. One, you're exempt from the mandate if you qualify for medicaid. Two, why not get medicaid?

Actually, a third thing. You can't be imprisoned for not paying the penalty on the mandate. I mentioned this several times in this thread, but the worst they can do is take your tax rebate.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Kirk, it'll be okay. I'm still navigating my options. Turns out my dad hasn't been claiming me like I thought. And he should've been for at least the last three years if not the past five. But that doesn't qualify me for Medicaid if his income is looked at and why I've paid my own health insurance all this time. But I see there are options that will let me keep my doctor.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I *do* kind of wonder how they impose this fine/tax on someone who's never filled taxes and has never had a job. Which, really, dude at 22 you should look into getting one of those.

11. Peach Wookiee

I got my first real job at 16. I got tax returns, yes, but it was still something to file my taxes. Not to mention the satisfaction of using my first check for a big ticket item. :D

12. kirk55555

Well, I'm not going to sign up for anything by myself, so no Medicaid (assuming I'd qualify for it, even with no income in a low income family I'm sure I'd be screwed somehow). As for the penalty, if all it does is take money from your tax rebate (and not literally charge you the fee every year) then I could rest easier. No taxes=no tax rebate anyway, and even if I waited for years without healthcare and then got a job, all it would mean is that I wouldn't get money in a rebate for awhile. Assuming it doesn't just compound and eventually overrun your rebate and make you pay extra taxes, then it would make my life difficult whenever I happened to get a job. I guess all I can do is wait, hope the Republicans win and if not then hope I don't get too screwed over by Obamacare.

I am in no hurry to get a job. My family is fairly low income, but we're secure enough that we're not going to go without food, shelter, electricty etc with what my parents already make. I'm sure I'll have to get a job eventually, but I have no desire to get a job and will do everything not to get one for as long as possible. Getting a job only adds bad things to your life as far as I can see, with the benefit of having money being far outweighed by the negatives.

13. Davros

Why haven't you had a job? I probably was on my fifth job by that age.

edited to add: seeing you have answered this question I must say that said answer does not invoke sympathy.

14. kirk55555

My parents don't require me to get one, and its not something I'd ever want to do, even though I know its eventually going to happen. Why would I want a job if I don't have to have one? as I said above, the benefits of having a job don't equal the negatives, its not even close.

15. Trekker4747

Yeah, money, things, financial independence, living independence these are all trivial things no one needs.

16. Davros

My parents did not require I get a job either. But if I wanted anything paying for it seemed a better option than stealing it or demanding that my parents supply me with it. They had enough to spend on their mortgage, utilities, the food we ate and the clothes on my back.

How about to have experience and a job history so that you will actually be able to be hired when you do need to find a job? Then there is also the joy of having accomplished something.

17. kirk55555

I'm not trying to say its a bad thing for everyone. For me, getting a job isn't a positive thing. I just have no desire to live on my own. I'm not someone who was chomping on the bit to move out. I'll live apart from my family when my parents are dead or in a nursing home. I may thing getting a job would suck, but I can't state in words how little desire I have to live on my own. The money having a job gets you is nice, but its only one positive among a whole bunch of negatives, atleast for me.

18. Peach Wookiee

Kirk, having a job may not be great, but you work to live; you don't live to work. It's good when you have a job you love, but sometimes, you just work so you have necessities. That's what my brother does; he works to live.
    ETA: Your parents dying may be longer than you think in happening.

19. Davros

If work was meant to be fun, they would call it something else.

20. Trekker4747

Getting a job at 40 is going to be hard to do with no prior work history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.