Bates Motel seemed like it's going 2 suck, & then it didn't.(Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2188671/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Two movie actors.

Vera Farmiga cleverly disguised as a blonde, and Charlie Bucket from the Chocolate Factory movie with Johnny Depp about 4 feet taller than when I last saw him.

I never got the Horror of Psycho, it's just stabbing a girl in a shower, anyone could stab a girl in a shower, even you could. It's easy, naked people are too busy trying to bashfully hide their private parts to worry about some knife repeatedly plunging into their torso creating many huge new worrying holes.

This is why you shouldn't pick on nudists.

Meh.

The mother's name is Norma.

Shit.

This kid is doomed.

At first I thought Bates Motel was set in the past. Norman's wardrobe is straight out of Classic Sesame Street, it was 15 minutes into the story when some girl takes an iphone out and the entire genre changes from historical reenactment to Gossip Slasher Girl... But what really grabbed my attention was the rape scene.

Yup.

As brutal as that was, I couldn't help but laugh at the use of a Flat Iron weeks after Monopoly decommissioned the Flat Iron in favour of a Kitten. It's like in the middle of a woman being abused that the producer decided to make a social comment on the current state of Monopoly that today in the modern world how Flat Irons are still relevant if you are being raped and perhaps maybe in other situations too.

That's cold?

But the Bates family made Dexter look like an impossible savant genius, watching these two lumber through the disposal process of their first corpse. It's like they were almost incompetent. I can only assume they accidentally find themselves in a position where they might as well kill some one each week whereafter Mother and Son get a little better with practice after each murder, but they were hella-calm throughout all... Oh? Which is when I rewound the tape to see again how Norman's father died at the beginning of the episode and if it was really an accident after all?

It's wasn't.

These Bateses are crazy.

Bates spelled backwards is almost Stab.

Just saying.

And then with seconds left before the credits start rolling, we find that someone thinks that "Hostel" is a how to guide because this other psycho in town is keeping young drugged girls chained up in their basement.

Good times ahead.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Bates Motel seemed like it's going 2 suck, & then it didn't.(Spoil

Can this work as a series though? Are they gonna murder someone every week? Why is the socially shy Norman climbing out his window to meet girls at night and why are they sitting on his lap and giving him their phone number after having just met him? I mean, why does this guy grow up to be someone who needs to spy on women in showers and then murder them if they are all over him from the beginning? I mean, what kind of school is he going to??? and why couldn't I have gone to a school like that? Will Vin Diesel show up and start racing this guy?

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Am I the only one who finds Guy Gardner's posts incredibly hard to read?

4. Guy Gardener

Well he did come home from the party because he was annoyed that they lied to him and that they were not going to study... Couple that with the jock scooping off the girl he was interested in.

If those kids were actually studying algebra, Norman would have stayed with them most of the night and his mother would be dead.

Meanwhile as for the deathtoll for the rest of the season goes, how many people does Norma have to kill to stop that high way from being built?

5. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I find them incredible to read.

6. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I continuously kept forgetting they were in present day until someone would whip out their iPhone or a new car would drive by. I, too, was wondering how this could continue as a series (would Norman have to clean up one of Norma's murders every week, until he goes batshit crazy?) The pilot was a little slow and predictable, and to be honest, my interest wasn't really piqued until the Hostel/Saw bathroom scene at the end.

I figured something was up with the Sheriff as he creeped his was around the motel, and he did seem a little too familiar with the place. I'll definitely watch next week to see if it picks up.

7. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I don't think them killing a person a week is the point. They--at least Norma--aren't serial killers. Norman isn't one yet. The point will be Norman's sloooooow de-evolution from (somewhat) normal teen into someone who's completely unhinged.

The clues are all there already. Norma obviously offed daddy Bates. That exasperated exhale as Norman came crying to her about finding his father's body spoke volumes. Mother! Quick! Norma sloooowly ties her bathrobe. She knew her hubby was dead....and she needed to take a shower. Hmmmmmm....

Norma skipping into her new bedroom and hopping onto the bed swinging her feet like a happy 10 year old proclaiming how happy she was to Norman was just "off." She's like a little kid around him at times....and Norman's complete sexual disinterest in the girls who didn't want to study and his quoting of Jane Eyre's most romantic lines to momma? Oh--that boy is already off. If the writers know their stuff, this could be a very creepy ride. I look forward to it.

8. Guy Gardener

OH, my.

Are you suggesting that this is going to be an incest show?

That Norma and Norman are going to be making out, and baptising every room in the bates Motel with their sick forbidden tryst?

Every other man on the planet is an idiot. She's spent the last 16 years building the perfect man for some other feckless slut? Fuck that! After all that sweat and effort there's no way Norma is going to just give away that boys cherry...

9. Dorian Thompson

I love your style, Guy Gardener. :evil:

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, isn't that the reason that Norman turned out the way he did? The way his mother brought him up? Literally?

Although the very fact that this series is set in the present day does raise the possibility that nuNorman won't turn out the way Norman-TOS did. Right? Reboots are reboots, after all.

11. Guy Gardener

It does mean that Janet Leigh will be in a flying bubble car straight out of the Jetson's when she pulls up to the Bates Motel with her stolen 40 thousand dollars... Oh.

If we're going to investigate potential sexual dysfunction... Does he have sex with his mother's skeleton or does Norman just roleplay pretending that he is Mother when he's masturbating? His left hand smacking his right hand because he's doing it wrong, and if you're going to do that to yourself, then you might as well do it right and Norma's avatar which is Norman's left hand is going to show him.

Considering the former, it can't be safe to frakk bone without sanding and polishing the penetration area first.

Maybe a bit of varnish too?

I'm assuming that the locked up girl had nothing to do with Norman because they had just arrived in town and it takes a few weeks to properly set up a sex dungeon, but considering the guy that raped his mother might have had a sex dungeon under the house, maybe he just found the girl and couldn't believe his luck?

No.

It's obviously someone else... But where did Norman get the bdsm hand drawn comics? Did he find a secret stash of them when he was pulling up the carpet? or did he draw them himself which means whoever is tying up school girls is about to discover another pea in his pod to strike up a life long friendship with based on shared interests and mutual moral systems..

12. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Most disturbing post I've read all week. Yes, that is even more disturbing than your comments about polishing skeletons for sexual purposes.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just watched the pilot. I've got mixed feelings about it. I think the cast is pretty good. However I'm not sure about the story just yet.

I wish they had made it a period piece, I think it would've been even creepier, like American Horror Story: Asylum.

I didn't care for Norman being in town for like five minutes and four hot girls are on him and then a hot teacher flirts with him. At least with the guyfriend of the girl that likes Norman I see the makings of a typical bully/foil for Norman. But even the girl with CF is cute. I don't see how all these nice looking girls actually making nice with him, for what seems like non-sinister reasons at the moment, works for the kind of person we know Norman is going to become. I would think he would be extremely isolated, or at least feel that way. Perhaps he does, but it's not easy to register when cute girls just can't wait to hang out with him.

I was shocked that they went so far with the rape scene. I was expecting Norman to get there sooner. Well, actually I wasn't expecting them to do something like that at all, though once the guy broke in I had a feeling it was going to go that route. I thought the guy was just going to be a thorn in their sides, someone trying to gather dirt on them or something. But this show took it to the extreme already.

The solid performances from the two leads kept me into the pilot and would likely keep me coming back. Since I don't have cable at the moment, nor Netflix or Hulu I probably won't be watching this series. While the pilot didn't make me feel regret about that, it is a show I probably would give a another look.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I thought it was pretty interesting. They're sure playing up the incest angle, just judging by that first episode. The way she held his hand and led him around the house, the way she kissed his neck, their conversation in the boat...creepy.

It was a little slower than I expected, but it's just getting started.

I'm interested enough to keep watching.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I was looking but didn't see it. Did Robert Bloch get cited in the credits?

"Based on characters created by . . . ."

16. Guy Gardener

You thought that was flirting?

That's what well adjusted human beings look like when they are not actively using sex to manipulate the situation... Unfortunately they were accidentally using sex which acerbates the situation. Most women live in a bubble where they don't believe that all men are always constantly plotting to see underboob. Basically those 16 year old girls were acting like they were 10 and ignorant in a good way, where they think it's possible for men and women to have platonic relationships even if one of them is sitting under her fanny in the back of a moving car.

They were offering him automatic Ducky status because he seems harmless and of course the benefit of the doubt.

17. Dorian Thompson

I understand that reference. Automatic Ducky status. Christ, I'm old.

18. Guy Gardener

10 years on Two and a Half Men should have made Mr. Cryer one of the more famous actors in America... Lets see what another 10 years on that same sitcom does for his career?

(Actually, I saw John on Stage playing Opposite Stephen Colbert and Neil Patrick Harris in a 2011 production of "Company" the other night where he held his own fine. :) )

19. Dorian Thompson

I'm in Oklahoma. We lack "the theatre." We have lots of football, Republicans, and guns, though.

20. Guy Gardener

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942831/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Official and legal recording. Though in all honesty, without the smell of the house lights making those actors sweat and panic, it's just a shadow of actually attending.

I was watching yesterdays Dallas, and Mitch Pileggi (Skinner from X-Files) was going full on Bates. His overbearing mother (Angela from Who's the Boss.)had been sawing his balls off slowly for the last 4 decades, untill he finally acted out on all those frustrating years of being harmfully emasculated at he top of a staircase... And he was calling her "Mother" too.