Star Trek V: The Final Frontier enhanced effects reel

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Penhall99, May 18, 2009.

1. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'm glad to see that this guy's continuing with this project, it's been a while since I've heard anything on this.

Kudos!

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Same here!!!

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I remember the issue of MACWORLD that showed frames from the previsualization for that FLY INTO THE ENTERPRISE WINDOW shot, and was thinking it would have been almost impossible to pull off well back then (shoot, they had something like that for the beginning of BLADE RUNNER and couldn't get it right, and those folks had a lot more on the ball!)

The barrier stuff looked really good to me, and I assume that the Enterprise stuff will improve drastically with time (I have a real hard time buying off on most CG starships, with the exception of SOLARIS and some bg FC ships and of course the Scott Gammans TOS E - the clips he has up against MOONRAKER music, that is -- which looks almost like the old model to me.)

I think the key to making the shuttle shots work is to lose that silly light thing on the underside ... it always looked bad, and it probably always will.

4. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

That was nicely done.

I agree with the others, that the Shuttle-enters-the-shuttlebay and BoP shots need to be restaged, but the barrier shots were well done.

Joe, medium

5. ScatmanRescueMe

ScatmanRescueMe Lieutenant Commander

What's funny (and sad) is that the amatuer used the same angles as the 'pro' and beat them at every turn.

But I agree that that they should restage most of the shots.

Except the pull-in to Spock as that was exactly how Shatner planned that shot.

But in a way it's good that they reused the angles from the original because if they ever re-do the FX for home video, they'll come up with all-different angles anyway.

So an amatuers version of the original's shots is okay as an interim step.

I doubt they'll re-release the movie as part of a 'Director's set' without redoing the FX.

It's been released in theatrical version on Blu-ray and it has Shatner's commentary & the deleted scenes, so any future director's set release would have to have something new from the director.

6. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the best shots I've seen like that was in Silent Running when the camera pulls back from the Valley Forge and you see Lowell in the window. That was done in 1970 or so and it still looks great!

I like the shot in Empire Strikes Back...the pullback at the end...

They could have done a shot like that in STV...well, maybe not Bran Ferren...:lol:

7. QuasarVM

When I say re-staged, I was talking about re-staging I meant make them better than what they had in the film when it was released...

The pull-in to Spock should stay...definitely...

That was a good shot! Obviously, the execution could be better (as the person working on it admits)...

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Of course, that shot zooming in on Spocko through the window just further illustrates that the ports as seen from inside the room utterly don't match the ones on the model!

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. I think it was just a redress of the TNG Ten-Forward set.

10. QuasarVM

True! :bolian:

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

It was a new set. Ten-Forward hadn't even been built at that point.

12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Ten-forward HAD been built at that point.

It was built in the hiatus between season one & two in early summer '88.

It existed during the late fall shoot of Trek 5

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I think ten-forward was the last thing Zimmerman did for TNG before going on to TFF, and no, the sets are nothing alike (the TFF one is pretty good, the TNG set is boring as hell.)

14. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Whether it had been built or not, trev is right — the two sets look nothing alike.

15. QuasarVM

I don't think there was much to it...the big windows, the Captain's Wheel...and the thing that popped up through the floor. Otherwise it was darkly lit, so who really knows what the set looked like?

I didn't think it was a bad set...but then I think Ten-Forward was an ok set too.

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The ability to use the set AS the set plus as those limbo environments for Spock and McCoy without resorting to opticals is pretty tremendous to me. And I really like the RP starfield stuff ... I think if they had tried to go bluescreen the whole thing would have looked worse, not better, and it would have crippled the moving camera stuff that IS in there.

17. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

18. QuasarVM

Strangely, I DID think that worked well...probably the ONLY thing I liked about the visuals in that film.

19. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no way STV can compete unless the FX were massively overhauled, even more than was done on TMP. TMP only needed touch ups compared to the work needed on STV to get it up and running with today's films.

20. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

whoops. for whatever reason i thought the windows looked like the TNG set. oh well! :)