So Cadet to Captain in what... a week?!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by T J, Nov 19, 2008.

1. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I will admit I am pretty confused on the timeline of things for lack of a better term. In this movie we see Kirk as a kid, fine ok. I guessing Tarsus 4 won’t be brought into this.

Then later we see Kirk and MCcoy as cadets graduating (kinda strange but fine ok). Then they leave earth have the whole adventure. Now can someone hypothesize for me how Kirk is a Captain at the end? I know he gained the rank of Captain faster than anyone else in the fleet up till TNG time, I always assumed that was like 10 years. I know, just my silly assumption.

Unless the story advances years after he first arrives as a cadet I’m very confused. If he makes Captain in a week how can we take that realistically? I know realistic has little to do with it.

Any thoughts?

2. datas_cat_spot

datas_cat_spot Captain Captain

Making Captain in a week after graduating? Is that what you're asking?

3. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

The line from Pike about making captain in 4 years was ludicrous enough as it was. Unless it's wartime, most career officers are about O-3/O-4 after about 10 years.

4. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

It sounds silly I know but if this movie spans the time of a week or 2 that would be nuts. Seven promotions in a couple weeks time, that's fast.

5. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the line "Be promoted in 4, have your own ship in 8 years?"

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm thinking there is a span of a few years between his graduating from being a cadet to the time we see him on the ship wearing his black shirt.

I know the Entertainment Weekly article said "[black is the] color of space cadets in Abrams' trekverse", but I'm not putting that much stock into that comment in the article. I'm thinking that black may be the color of Academy Instructors (we know Kirk was one) or post-graduate Academy Command school.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's interesting because one of the commentaries of the footage shown to reporters notes that the first time that Kirk meets Pike, that he [pike] is wearing black...

8. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the trailer breakdown over at Trekmovie is to be believed, Entertainment Weekly is right about Kirk's shirt meaning he's a cadet.

9. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure it was that he could go through the academy in four and make captain in 8, and Kirk's response was that he could get through the academy in 3 years.

10. JoeZhang

My *guess* is that the events of the film require Kirk to assume temporary command of the ship for a short period of time and at the end of it, having tasted command, he resolves to become a 'real' captain as quickly as possible...

I'll be amazed if he leaps from cadet to 'proper' Captain in this film.

11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

To be fair, we have no idea what happens in this film, specifically. It's a time travel story, that much we know. So it's perhaps a bit early to be moaning about length of service, etc.

12. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

We know a lot of the crew is killed in the initial battle - that's how McCoy ends up in charge of sickbay. My guess is that Kirk will be an acting captain at best.

13. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

So there are no other officers left in the chain of command which places a cadet in command of the ship? So only underclassmen cadets are left on the ship at that point?

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Perhaps it is by request of Old Spock?

15. JoeZhang

Maybe it will be the seafort saga, in which, although there are higher ranking officers on the ship because of regs, only seafort is able to take command of the ship.

16. JoeZhang

Who knows? You are looking for an answer that nobody here can give.

17. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Those are rhetorical questions - I'm actually saying what would have to happen for a cadet to be placed in command of a ship.

18. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks...I just checked that out.

I STILL think Kirk has to be in some sort of Command School or something (hence he is "technically" a cadet)...I don't know. I'm just talking out my ass now.

If he IS truly a cadet, I hope there is a damn good reason for him to be taking temporary command of a ship full of senior officers.

I know trekmovie.com usually does their due diligence, but maybe they are simply speculating about this (and some other details) just like the rest of us.

I did notice that he is wearing gold when he says "Buckle up", so maybe he DOESN'T take command while in the "cadet" black shirt. Perhaps I made a wrong assumption and he only takes command later (when he is no longer a cadet).

19. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

Depends on the Cadet.

20. Eric64

Eric64 Cadet Newbie

Captain Leon Grabowsky has a very similar distinction as the youngest commanding officer of a U.S. Navy destroyer during World War II. He graduated from the US Naval Academy in 1941 and assumed command of the destroyer Leutze in 1944. He the commanding officer was seriously wounded, he took command and was promoted to captain.