Trek animated series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by blockaderunner, Aug 12, 2014.

1. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't care if it's set on a ship, space station, or Starfleet Academy. It could be during the Earth/Romulan War, Dominion War or peaceful exploration. It can be the prime timeline or the Abrams timeline. What matters is there has to be SOMETHING to keep Trek in the public eye. With Marvel cranking out a superhero movie or two every year and Lucasfilm making new Star Wars movies (both proper episodes and solo character films), Paramount had better do something. An animated series is a good start. What do you all think?

2. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

If it's good, I'll watch it. I have no idea what is coming after this 3rd NuTrek movie is done. I don't know who will be running it, or what they will want to do with it. I do think that Trek will come back to TV someday. No predictions as to when. Anything seems possible right now. There are LOTS of possibilities in terms of the setting. Different timelines and centuries to choose from, no matter if it's animated or live action.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

This is what I'd like to see. A new Kirk/Spock series with animation on the same level as Batman: the Animated Series -- stylized, but still pretty naturalistic. Imaginative storylines. It would be the good reboot I'd hoped to get with ST09.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love to see an animated series, but I think that's up to CBS, not Paramount, isn't it?

5. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started to read your post, blockaderunner, and -forgive me- I could not help but hear some Seuss in the request:

It can take place on a base
    Or on a ship way out in space!

It can take place in a war
    Or on a mission to explore!

In the Universe called 'Prime'
    Or in the J.J. Line of Time!

Powers That Be, clear the deck!
    Give us some animated Trek!

I, too, would like to see some good, quality animated Trek stories produced. Given what the success competing franchises have had (when they go for quality), I am surprised that no project has been been proposed and green-lighted.

6. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: Titan seems like a no-brainer to me. Has pedigree, brings along all the TNG fans, goes back to the original Trek premise. Just do it, I say.

7. Hober Mallow

Just don't, I say. No more Berman-Trek, please. Let's leave that stuff to fan films and fan fiction. It's time to move on.

8. JHarper

JHarper Commander Red Shirt

Right now I'd rather see someone update the visuals for TAS we have.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Shoot, I'd watch a Supermarionation Trek, but then that just makes 2 of us.

10. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, 3! :)

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see a full-out CGI remake of the original animated series. You could even keep the existing voice tracks.

Don't believe me? Check this out. :techman:

12. Hober Mallow

If they're gonna go to the trouble of animating a series, why not do new stories?

13. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I think an animated Star Trek series is exactly the way to go, and have said as much elsewhere.
    You could do any series' crew, at any time period - and as far as the voices; certainly there are any number of voice actors available to do very good impressions of our favorite crewmembers!
    You could have a rotating series, new TOS episodes one week, TNG the next week, then DS9, and so on. Everyone gets something of their favorite.

ME

14. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

FOUR! Such a series would suit Star Trek down to the ground

15. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I've posted here before a CG test I did of how an animated series set in the JJverse could look. Now just to shamelessly show off, here's a second one I did. Excuse the Lack of Spock:

https://vimeo.com/104784944

16. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Something Titan-like would be interesting, but in the JJverse.

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

A relatively cheap but well-done TAS Remastered could be watchable.

18. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see a CGI Trek. The problem is that by virtue of it being animated it will just be a lot of "pew pew". You can't expect it to be treated the way TAS was.

19. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't TAS mostly silly stuff with a couple of more philosophical episodes?

20. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see the point, I don't think kids would like that cartoon, even with new visuals (the stories just are not that interesting for the most part) and the stories and voice acting will really seem dated compared to what is out there today. Clone Wars is easily a better series then TAS, in every way possible. Animation has really developed beyond what it was in the 70s.

Animation has advanced so far beyond Star Trek TAS, that trying to resurrect it something only die hard Trekies would support.

A new animated series with new more modern stories would more of a crowd pleaser.