Spoilers S31: Disavowed by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 18, 2014.

?

Rate Disavowed.

1. Outstanding

45 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Above Average

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Just a few short months after reporting in from the Taurus Reach, author David Mack sets out to breathe new life into another corner of the Litverse. More than 13 years after the last Section 31 novel (Abyss by David Weddle and Jeffrey Lang, which Defcon wisely opened a review thread for earlier this year), this month's Disavowed will follow in its footsteps, as well as follow on from Dayton Ward's The Fall: Peacable Kingdoms. Check out the discussion thread for more info, and you will be able to officially pick up the book on October 28th.

Blurb on forward sensors:

Plus we got an excerpt available at the Simon & Schuster website.

2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Who has the book now?

3. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a few lucky people who went to the New York Comic Con, as far as I know.

*grumble grumble lucky jerks grumble*

:)

4. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

...was this moved up? I could have sworn it was a December release.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just saw it was available on bol.com, so other retailers might have it as well.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, that was announced a while ago. The December release is Greg Cox's movie-era TOS novel Foul Deeds Will Rise.

7. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just got it!

8. wizkid

wizkid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How?

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just got mine too. Several of The Chapters around me have their copies. I can't wait to dive in!

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Got my copy!

11. rfmcdpei

I work at a bookstore.

12. rfmcdpei

It was quite nice to see the Mirror Universe again. Mack did a good job juggling plots, including an odd pairing of a veteran Cardassian agent with her Klingon counterpart that added nice background. Love the Dominion, and the Galactic Commonwealth, too.

The theme of the book seems to be how grand plans turn out to be insufficient. Bashir and Sarina wanted to fool Section 31, but their intent was known by their superiors; Section 31 wanted to steel from Memory Omega, but it got badly p3wned; the Breen hoped to steal Commonwealth technology but ended up creating a temporal loop. Superb!

13. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Glad you seem to have enjoyed the book — and that you got what I was going for in terms of theme. :)

14. Mage

David, I haven't read Rise Like Lions yet. Will enough back story be explained in Disavowed, or should I really read Rise Like Lions first?

15. Jedi Ben

Just go read Rise Like Lions, it's probably the best example I know of getting a new reader not familar with MU developments up to speed easily. I went into it having just read Sorrows of Empire. It's pretty damn epic and well worth a read regardless.

16. Mage

I've read the MU stories from the DS9-R. But not Sorrow Of Empires, or the short stories.

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

It has arrived. :D I'll go read it.

Ozla Graniv? Good to see her.

Also, great to get a sense of how Bashir's life on Andor is working out. Though of course it was a given that we'd see some of that.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Not because they're necessary, but because they're great, I'd highly recommend reading Mack's two larger MU novels. And if you're going to read a book that follows on from there, you might as well read the earlier stories first, right?

19. Jedi Ben

The only dedicated MU books I've got are those two: Sorrows of Empire and Rise Like Lions and they really work well together, can't recommend them enough.

I've read the first 100 pages of S31: Disavowed and can say you don't need to have read either to enjoy this, but if you've seen any of the MU eps and wonder what happened to the Alliance, well, those 2 books of Mack's give an excellent answer.

20. Mage

Well, couldn't find Sorrows Of Empire on short notice, so I ordered Rise Like Lions and Disavowed. Should be here in a few days. :D