Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It didn't happen with TOS; why would it happen with TNG?

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I don't know, when you see a scanned 35mm master shot, in 1080p played off a Blu ray disc, I'm positive that upscale will look downright horrible in comparison.

If a properly done restoration from the original negatives is how they do it, and it doesn't look like day and night when it comes to quality, I sir owe you a cookie.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Put them up against a fully remastered 1080p transfer on Blu-ray, and they won't look very decent anymore.

ETA: Ninja'd by Dac! :lol:

4. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Dammit, should've let Skywalker do it, then I wouldn't have wagered a precious cookie! :p

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:shrug:

The whole argument is that Next Gen can't be shown in HD, which simply isn't true. I've watched the DVD's on my 1080p set, I've also watched the show on BBC America HD, WGN America HD and SyFy HD. While it's not as crisp as TOS on Blu-ray, it's also not unwatchable as some on here suggest.

Too get me to buy this series again on video they're going to have to do something truly special with it.

6. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Precisely the point. A shot for shot recreation just won't bring home the bacon.

Edit: Just noticed you said video. HD on Video...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. BillJ

Video is just the catch-all term I use for home releases. :techman:

8. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Any SD show broadcast on a HD channel is not HD. Here in the UK any SD show on a HD channel is shown in its original format with black bars all over the place if need be. Same with a DVD played in an up-scaling player (which I assume is what you mean). It looks good, the normal DVDs look good on a normal DVD player, but a *proper* restoration should look streets ahead.

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

And TNG can't be shown in HD because it doesn't exist in HD. How many more times are we going to play this game?!

10. BillJ

We all know it was finalized in 480i back in the 80's/90's. But that doesn't stop it from being broadcast by HD providers nor does it stop it from being watched on HD displays. As is.

Whether or not you can enjoy it under those limitations is up to you.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

But but...arrgh, Those outlets you mentioned are exactly the same as watching it on DVD. Yes, it's good enough to watch but its not good enough for a High Definition stream. It does not have the data required to carry the detail. It's like having a size 8 foot in a size 12 shoe. Sure, it fits, but it's damned awkward walking about in it.

IF TNG could not be seen in higher quality, I would be against digitally restoring/upscaling it for a Blu Ray release. However because the means exist to add detail to the picture that was there when it was filmed but lost in the process to put it out to the masses then by all accounts that detail should be restored and broadcast in the way it was originally recorded.

12. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Bud..just take one of the TOS DVDs..run it on a BR player..then take a TOS BRD and run it right after..same episode..You WILL notice a difference.. Unless one is in denial and has bought into the "TV show as Art" crap...

13. BillJ

I've owned some of every TOS home release since the VHS days, including the new Blu-ray releases. No one need preach to me on the differences in picture quality (I'm a Blu-ray and HD-DVD early adopter). But it doesn't mean that Next Gen, as is, can't be watched and enjoyed on current home theater set-ups.

14. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

So that's supposed to induce people to part with $500 or so, that fact that it's "not unwatchable" on HD devices?

Good luck with that.

---------------

15. BillJ

I'd actually be interested in seeing the TOS-R DVD/Blu-ray sales numbers. People seem to forget that TOS-R got a huge funding boost from Toshiba, so they could be the first to release Trek in an HD format.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I have to disagree with you here, BillJ. I'm also a home cinema enthusiast of many years standing. Like you, I've owned TNG in many home video formats from VHS to Blu-ray (LaserDisc as well!) over the years. In my dedicated home cinema room I'm watching on an extremely large screen - and to be honest, TNG is horrible, just horrible. Artifacts, smearing, fuzziness etc. I always have to switch overscan back on just to remove the varying array of artifacts that plague the majority of episodes at screen edge.

We have a quality 50" PDP upstairs, on which I now watch most of my TV content - but even on that monitor, the problems are clearly evident.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  17. BillJ

It's not a good discussion if everyone sees it the same way. :techman:

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

They look terrible to me up-scaled (and the up-scaling done for "Trials and Tribble-ations" on Blu-Ray looks equally bad). They look even worse when they're cropped to 16:9. But YMMV.

I do have to draw exception to an earlier comment that turning TNG into widescreen would make it more "cinematic," though. I shudder at the thought of cropping Citizen Kane or Casablanca from the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio to 16:9 in order to make it more "cinematic." 1.33:1 was the standard aspect ratio for movies for several decades.

19. evilnate

evilnate Commodore Commodore

Yeah, we've been condition to accept box=TV and rectangle=movie for a long time. With HDTV blurring the lines today, people forget that tv shows were the same aspect ratio as movies until the early fifties.

20. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

While I'm sure they would do a cropped 16:9 option for TNG-R, I wouldn't watch it in that.