Was Picard a generic action hero in the movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Jan 27, 2012.

1. StevenR

StevenR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kirk: Never let them get you off of that bridge.
    Picard: Get off the bridge more often. Got it.
    Kirk: [sotto voce] Might as well fall off a bridge.

2. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:rommie:

3. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The TNG movies felt to me like they wrote the scripts, then decided to switch all of Rikers activities with Picards.

In 'First Contact', i could accept that given Picards history with the Borg. Even still though it seemed far more suited to Picards particular character to be the one on the ground encouraging Cochrane to live up to his legend, while Riker kicked arse in orbit.

It's even worse in 'Insurrection', who would you say of the two would be best suited at making an impassioned plea to the Federation Council? And which of the two would be fittest for leading people on a mountainous trek, fighting off waves of enemies?

4. CaptainMatt

Come now, surely you aren't saying Picard is not fit enough to lead an insurrection against swarms of enemies? lol

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was certainty way more fit than Frakes was by that time.

6. CaptainMatt

Do you think Frakes ever used CGI to look slimmed down like Shatner in STVI?

7. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Well he isn't being paid to play Captain Picard anymore, so I guess you are wrong.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I think Patrick Stewart is pretty happy with how things turned out despite no future TNG films. He made a fortune from Nemesis and he got to play the character of Picard the way he wanted to play him. I'd say your guess is wrong.

9. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

That's actually true for First Contact.

Anyway, Picard did turn into an action hero in the movies. Generations Picard was the closest to TV Picard though. FC Picard is action hero Picard, but because the movie doesn't suck, it's relatively bearable.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't crazy about the action hero thing either, but to be fair that was usually just the last act when he started running around like Rambo or John McClane.

Up until then I thought he came across very MUCH like the dignified and measured Picard of TNG. Whether he was waxing poetic about the Phoenix, getting morally outraged over the treatment of the Ba'ku, or trying to reason with Shinzon.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've always thought that as well. It would have been a lot cooler to see Riker kicking the Borg's ass on the ship instead of Picard. Especially when I think back to what a badass he was during BOBW: "Then take your best shot, Locutus, because we are about to intervene."

12. knowthyself

knowthyself Commander Red Shirt

I didn't get near the impression that Picard was a thinker from the movies as I did the tv series.

13. Dr. Crusher

Dr. Crusher Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think that really hits the nail on the head. The series was far more dramatic than action-based, but, the films make an attempt at being more action-based. Although Picard is an excellent dramatic character, it seems very unnatural for him to appear as TNG's action hero.

14. CaptainMatt

I always thought of that as being Riker's job.

15. knowthyself

knowthyself Commander Red Shirt

or Worf for that matter, not Picard

16. Shinkicker

Shinkicker Cadet Newbie

Yeah! There was definitely a change in emphasis for the movies