Bring back David McIntee (LoneMagpie)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

Well the Ogawa thing was okay, in that she says as much in IFM that her being made an MD was a formality: Starfleet's medical training policies during the Dominion War made MD training and advanced nursing programs interchangeable. Presumably Ogawa had something like an MSN plus even a DNP equivalent as head nurse of the Enterprise-E and Titan. If she also had accreditation for stuff like as a nurse practitioner or the like, I can see how it might be possible. Not entirely plausible, mind you, but by the time of IFM she's been a nurse on a frontline starship for 20 years. That's long enough to have gone through some advanced nursing degree programs, which, during wartime, might have also been similar to a medical residency.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, but as I said, it's the timing issue that's the problem. Titan is way out on the frontier, so by all rights it should take more than two months just to return to Federation space.

3. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

I'm wondering if The Poisoned Chalice will have a similar issue. We know that the President Pro Tempore is only meant to serve 60 days while a new election is convened. If Titan is way out in the frontier (and has been for the last 3-4 years) how does Akaar recall her in time to ferret out Ashan's secrets before the election's over?

And there's also the whole "Reg Barclay was beamed from the Delta Quadrant back to serve on Challenger" thing, so maybe they just super duper subspace beamed Alissa and Noah back to Federation space.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Of course, it's Pocket you want to tell about wanting me back...

5. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree with all the praise for David's work in IFM, it was a solid damn book that added a lot to both the ENT and TNG eras. Edicts be damned, as far as I'm concerned, IFM's as canon as all other Treklit titles, and as other have stated, the inconsistencies are easily explainable.

And a "hear, hear" to Trek needing more McIntee.

6. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you tried pitching some outlines to Pocket? I'm sure you can get fellow Trek writers to vouch for you..

Side Note: You guys should friend him on Facebook.He posts frequently there.

David, don't you love your fans :)

7. Lonemagpie

Not this year - they doubtless have enough existing pitches on file.

Yep.

Looking at my my Facebook friends list, I think a lot of people from here are also there!

You can follow me on Dreamwidth or Livejournal (username lonemagpie) and Tumblr (originallonemagpie.tumblr.com) as well.

8. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Or I can just tell folks now; in all honesty, I ducked the issue by not mentioning her at all.

And for the record; The Poisoned Chalice contains a small but direct reference to the events of Dave's Indistinguishable From Magic.

9. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. Lonemagpie

There is, but I'm not sure it would fit at the moment.

And there are a couple of other outlines that I previously pitched which I'm much keener on doing first, and would make better standalones.

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Nice! First DRG3 and now you too. Now IFM is firmly entrenched in our current lit continuity; who cares about some editor slightly shrugging it off a few years ago! Now all we need is for Barclay to go missing from the Voyager fleet in late 2382/early 2383. Which...by the pace Voyager is progressing through the timeline...should be in about 8 years :techman:

12. Argrathi

Argrathi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I love this novel. I too hoped this would start a new series with Geordi, Scotty, Barclay, and Nog. I even had hopes that O'Brien (who wasn't in any series at the time) would show up. I do have one question though, was Tomalak's Fist supposed to be a Valdore (or Mogai) class warbird? It sounded as if it was a much larger class, but I'm not sure.

13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Excatly my thought. Anyway, Tomalak's Fist is neither Valdore nor Mogai class (keep checking Memory Beta to learn the difference soon ;)). It's this hunk:
    [​IMG]

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just listened to the Romulan episode on Earl Grey on Trek.fm. Romulans really do have the coolest ship designs.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always wondered if the Romulans had a 'Vertical' starship design. I love that one! :techman:

As for LoneMagpie: I just had a thought - for someone who's from Yorkshire, perhaps he could introduce some actual Yorkshirebeings into Treklit? There haven't been many, have there? ;)

16. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It never seemed to me that IFM was dropped from continuity. Even when I heard those, I remembered that George explicitly referenced IFM's major events in his duology.

The only big difference between IFM and later books is that Geordi's relationship with Leah Brahms didn't work out, and that his relationship with a doctor who had been transferred off did. That's easily fixable: maybe things didn't work out with Brahms. It's not as if they necessarily got off to a good start, after all.

I enjoyed the book, and would like to see more books by McIntee.

17. Lonemagpie

I'm not actually *from* Yorkshire, I've just lived here for the last 15 years...

But if there's a chance, yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that!

And yeah, Tomalak's Fist is the vertical-oriented version from the calendar.

18. Lonemagpie

Somebody start a petition....

19. Argrathi

Just did :)

20. Argrathi

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, but if you search David McIntee Petition on fb it should show up. Is it okay for me to post that info on here?