Archie...zombies...?!?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by the G-man, Mar 6, 2013.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did April 1 come early this year?

• Archie Comics, the leading mass market comic book publisher in the world and home to some of the most recognizable pop culture characters, is proud to announce a brand new ongoing series being added to Archie’s line-up entitled: AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE.

What if the zombie apocalypse began in Riverdale? This horror-infused comic answers that question when it kicks off in late 2013, spearheaded by one of Hollywood’s hottest writers, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who will be fresh off the high profile crossover, ARCHIE MEETS GLEE.

AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE will provide readers with zombie-filled mayhem like only Archie can, taking the Riverdale gang where they’ve never been before – to the grave and back.

In addition to his Archie credits, Aguirre-Sacasa has made a name for himself in the world of television (writer/producer on GLEE), Broadway musicals (Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark), and movies, penning the remake of Stephen King’s Carrie, which premieres this fall.

2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Seems legit to me. I mean, if I were to ever meet the cast of Glee, I'd probably wind up as a brain-dead zombie, too. Or at least I'd be wishing I was, anyway.

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I would buy this in a heartbeat... I loved Archie Comics when I was a kid and it's just too kitchy not to want to have...

4. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Just have Sabrina zap everyone back to normal...

:D

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Archie Afterlife sounds hilarious and awesome!
    Archie meets Glee sounds.... exactly as it sounds. How are they going to sing on paper?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

This isn't the first time Archie Comics has married Riverdale to the supernatural. The original run of Life With Archie ran supernatural-themed stories, and there was Archie's Weird Mysteries a decade ago. Or the recent "Archie meets KISS" storyline, even.

Oh, and "Archie Meets Glee" is basically a Crisis on Infinite Earths-type story. Archie-Earth and Glee-Earth are like Earth-1 and Earth-2, the characters swap worlds, and if they can't be separated the multiverse will collapse. Yes, that's even more batshit insane conceptually than the title would suggest.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

So...who was the bigger bitch, Sue Sylvester or Veronica Lodge?

8. Allyn Gibson

I have no idea, I'm not reading it. I'm just going on what's in Previews. :)

Come to think of it, it also sounds a bit like Deathmate, with Betty and one of the Glee kids finding true love with each other, a true love that will destroy two universes.

Ah, Deathmate. The 90s were great, weren't they?

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Archie meets KISS? What happened? Gene shows up at Archie's house, eats through his pantry and then sleeps with Betty? Geez!!

10. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's hard to top Archie meets the Punisher.

11. Allyn Gibson

No, Sabrina the Teenage Witch cast a spell that opened up a portal to Hell and brought demons in Riverdale. At the same time, KISS was playing a concert in Riverdale, so the Archie gang and KISS teamed up to close the portal to hell and defeat the demons.

I think that's how it goes. That's what a coworker of mine told me.

12. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I hope this is better than Archie Versus Predator.

13. the G-man

That sounds like something that they'd come with on Family Guy as a joke.

14. the G-man

PREVIEW: AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE #1
    • Be the first to witness the beginning of the end of the world with this early look at AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE. Acclaimed Harvey Award-winning writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's (Stephen King's Carrie) jaw-dropping script comes to undead life with the help of Eisner award-winning artist Francesco Francavilla (Guardians of the Galaxy) who deftly injects horror and fear into the once idyllic, safe town of Riverdale.

AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE hits comic shops Oct. 9 and will be Archie's first direct market only, NOT for all ages, horror title.

Artwork at the link above. Apparently, they've done this with "realistic" artwork, not the usual Dan DiCarlo type stuff. Which to me is a bit of letdown. If you are going to do Archie Zombies and draw them as, basically, generic comic book people it sort of deflates the point of using Archie, et al.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I agree. If this were done in the Archie house-style, I'd probably buy it.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know that I'd buy it but I agree it'd be better done in the Archie style.

17. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I can just hear Veronica: Oh Archie-brainnnns!

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The artist does know that Jughead's hat isn't actually a crown, right?

Anyway, this title could've been interesting but I don't much like the art in these preview pages, I agree that if done in the regular Archie style it probably could've been good. I may give it a flip-through on release but unlikely to pull it unless something catches my interest.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

How about Archie & Superman vs. Jughead & Batman?