AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Are spoiler rules applicable in threads where the title warns of them?

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

When the film hasn't been officially released anywhere yet, absolutely.

3. Trekker4747

Ah, makes sense.

Now what about when the movie is released overseas next week before its release in America? ;)

4. Timby

Then I would point you to the spoiler rules, which are stickied at the very top of this forum:

Now, can we get back to talking about The Avengers, or would you like to continue backseat modding?

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like the backseat modding to continue, please.

6. Timby

[​IMG]

Captain Stupid-Ass-Helmet America disagrees with you.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, there have been plenty of scifi/superhero movies over the years with weightless, inconsequential action and characters who do nothing but strike cool poses (Underworld, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, etc), and the critics usually don't hesitate to point it out.

What's different this time (and what I see reflected in the reviews) is that Whedon makes the action genuinely exciting, because the characters have tons of charm and personality and we actually give a shit what happens to them. And unlike most overblown, CG-heavy action movies nowadays, it actually knows how to be fun and witty like a blockbuster should be.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

So wait... does Cap not shoot guns in this movie? I can't recall seeing it in the trailers, and there's no holster on his new uniform.

The one thing I appreciated about the previous movie was they actually gave him some freakin guns to shoot, instead of simply flinging the dorky shield around. Unfortunately looks like that idea was ditched for this movie...

9. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

OK, folks. Here's my brief review of Avengers: http://damon-young.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/why-does-avengers-movie-work.html.

I've tried to identify exactly why it works (instead of just saying "it's awesome"). A sample:

10. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So even with the unanimous praise for the film so far, that's still not good enough for you? :wtf:

I think you're just determined to hate this film, and nothing you hear will change your mind.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

thefilmcynics.com - grade,unknown, but hungry for more
    emmanualelevy.com - B+ grade
    entertainingevil.com - A+ grade
    I didn't read his spoiler section so go to the link where I assume he spills the info on the post credits sequence.

12. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

There was a scene in one of the trailers where he was seen shooting either a M60 or a M246 SAW out a window.

The shield is Cap's iconic weapon and defense. "Gun Cap" is a modern re-invention of the character, and one I'd just as soon not see.

Cap don't need no stinking gun...he's Captain America!

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I did...

Ugh! I HATE Thanos!

14. DAYoung

He relies chiefly on his shield, but he does use firearms. Though not nearly as often as Black Widow and Hawkeye.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

There are 25 reviews in at Rottentomatoes now and the first 'Rotten' has turned up. The reviewer submits their entry as either 'fresh' or 'rotten' and he gives it 3of5 stars. I wonder if he hit the wrong radial button on his submission form? 3o5 doesn't sound rotten to me.

boxofficemagazine.com - 3 of 5 stars, *rotten*

"You will be begging for another Incredible Hulk film after you've seen The Avengers. They finally characterize him like he's yet to be done. It's the Hulk we've been waiting for!!"
    Around the 2:30 mark give or take.
    [yt]v=pl9iqh21OUs[/yt]

I so can't wait to see HULK!!!

16. DAYoung

This Hulk is a gem, dramatically and comedically.

17. Trekker4747

I wonder what Armond White is going to say about this movie.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah it looks like Ruffalo's Hulk is going to be the break through character from this movie from everything I've read about it so far, which is kind of what I expected, he's also who I'm most excited to see (other than Cobie Smulder's Maria Hill). I still think we'll get a Hulk movie sequel for 2015. It's possible that the television series might interfere somehow with this but I doubt it.

19. DAYoung

I can certainly imagine this Hulk being very popular. Ruffalo's performance is excellent. He's a very gregarious actor - to me, at least - but he pulls off a really nice balance between warmth and threat, which suggests the Hulk lurking unseen.

And when the big guy does break out, Whedon does a brilliant job of combining ferocity with laughs. In my screening, the two biggest (i.e. loudest, longest) laughs of the film were down to the green dude.

20. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Wait, to clarify, once the movie comes out in certain parts of the world (it's coming out here in Australia on Wednesday, just a few days from now), we can have a spoiler-filled discussion of the movie in this thread, right?

But then, why is the anticipation thread now locked? Aren't fans in the US, and other countries where it doesn't come out until May, going to want to post about their anticipation of it in a thread where they don't have to wade through a bunch of spoilers?