Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have all the season and solo releases. The solo releases are pretty much watch once, and then store. The "To Be Continued" stingers at the end (especially BOBW, of course) are still worth the inconvenience of getting up to change discs. Unification (and Chain of Command) are completely useless for viewing outside of the bonus features and the initial novelty, since the parts are on the same disc. The bonus features are well worth it, though. The more commentaries and documentaries, the better. Plus certain episodes deserve the extra treatment, such as BOBW, Redemption, Unification (and be extension Sarek), Chain of Command, and likely All Good Things.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

MakeshiftPython, see the quotes directly preceding your quoted comment. It would seem that if it were not for the CoC special edition we probably wouldn't have a Ronnie Cox interview at all. I will most definitely be picking it up.

3. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I get the reasoning, I just don't care for that excuse. I would have preferred to have it all in my season set, I shouldn't have to buy the same episodes just for the extras.

4. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

Any word if the incorrect shuttle exteriors are being corrected?

5. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not really an "excuse," it's a fact of economics. The extras wouldn't be produced if it weren't for the separate release. They have neither the funds to produce the extra material nor the space in the set for another 30 minute feature.

So you wouldn't have the option of having both the complete season and the episode-specific features. If you'd rather them just cut out the separate release all together then you simply wouldn't have the extras that would come with it either.

You don't "have to buy the same episodes just for the extras." You're the consumer. You make the choice of what you buy or not. If you don't want to buy both, then don't buy both. It's as simple as that.

No news is really available yet regarding S6 or S7, but I find it highly doubtful.

6. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For clarification, there should be snippets of the Ronny Cox interview included in the main S6 doc, but obviously not as much or as specific as you will find in the CoC doc

7. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Amazon.co.uk now has a listing for it, with a release date of June 16th.

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

What was wrong with the shuttle exteriors?

9. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

10. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

They used stock footage of the shuttle model created for the first couple seasons of TNG, but shot on the sets created from the recycled shuttle from STV:TFF that was introduced in "Darmok" in season 5. This happens again at the end of "Ship in a Bottle." It may be worse in the latter instance since they show the exteriors of two different shuttles in the shuttle bay that are intended to be the same one.

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Thanks, guys. This is something I'm sure I noticed as a kid, but now all these years later I can't keep track of these details. :)

12. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

You're right, to rephrase it, I think it's unfortunate that one's only option to have both the features is to purchase the two sets. Whatever the reasoning behind it, I still think it's rather crummy that you can't get them in just one set. That's all I've been expressing.

13. jimbotron

The extra features either exist on a separate release, or they don't exist at all. There is no third option like you want.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That didn't seem to be the case with Season 1 or Season 2. It's not a special feature issue. It's a how much can CBS suck the money out of the consumer because this is an expensive project issue. Special features are just the carrot dangling in front of said consumer hoping he/she will bite.

15. jimbotron

Yes, it was the case, it fell into the "or they don't exist at all" category.

It's an issue of budget. CBS is not going to greenlight additional spend on interviews/documentaries above and beyond the norm if it's just going to be part of the season set. It raises the cost for them while resulting in no additional sales. That would be a dumb business decision.

This is the same reason certain episodes were split into two - for budgetary reasons. They get more money for a two-parter than a solo episode, and have the ability to put out a bigger and better product.

16. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

At least "Ship in a Bottle" could be explained by a holodeck malfunction.

17. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't wait!

18. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just like there was with Elizabeth Dennehy for BOBW... her commentary on the stand-alone disc was worth the price of purchase on its own.

19. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course by that logic had he been in a single part story they wouldn't have had the excuse for a bonus interview with him.

When you consider the cost spent on interviews, we rarely see a fraction of what is recorded, rather than edit it would be cheaper to just include uncut interviews, but they lack the professional result.

Was David Warner interviewed too?

20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's more than that. The uncut interviews would be much longer so they would require more disc space, which wouldn't be economical either.