Christopher McQuarrie To Direct A Live-Action Star Blazers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wildstar, Oct 31, 2013.

1. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't there already a live action movie? Or is Starblazers considered a different thing from Space Battleship Yamato?

4. Set Harth

It's the same thing.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The 2010 film was Japanese; this is an attempt to create an American film franchise based on the English-dubbed version. We'll probably get a mostly white cast, and who knows if they'll even keep the Yamato backstory for the Argo. (There was a previous attempt at a reboot project that would've replaced the Yamato with an American WWII battleship, IIRC.)

6. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

What is wrong with Christopher McQuarrie? I gave Jack Reacher a try and was thoroughly surprised by both the direction, pace and even the writing.

7. Belbo

Belbo Ensign Newbie

Wow - evidently someone in Hollywood thinks Battleship tanked because it wasn't idiotic enough. :rolleyes:

So yeah, let's redo it in outer space .....

8. Christopher

I take it you're completely unfamiliar with Star Blazers/Yamato, then. Because this comparison makes nothing resembling sense.

9. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Japanese version was a disappointment. The second half of the film didn't work and the effects were crap. If this is done well, with modern effects and money, then it could be epic. People need to keep an open mind and not jump the gun so quickly. My dream is still to see a live-action Ghost in the Shell movie, but I settle for now.

10. Set Harth

But do you mean a live-action GITS movie like the Japanese Yamato, or a whitewashed version for the American market in which everybody's Caucasian?

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

The effects were crap? Really?? I was seriously impressed with the quality of VFX work in that film. No it's not a $200 Million ILM film, but with what they had to work with, they did a great job.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, considering how much "Star Blazers" was HEAVILY re-edited (compared to the original "Space Battleship Yamato" - which had A LOT of crewmember death scenes, and was actually overall a lot darker); no, it's honestly not.

13. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Will they keep the title?

14. Christopher

Well, presumably the whole reason they're developing it is because the Star Blazers title has name recognition, so yeah, I'd expect they will.

15. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

As a boy in '79, I enjoyed watching the animated Star Blazers television series seasons and later saw the earlier animated Space Battleship Yamato films. I liked the Japanese live-action Space Battleship Yamato(2010) film, albeit, I did not like the lack of Gamalons as depicted in the animated version. :vulcan:

I am glad that there will be an American version Star Blazers live-action film too.:beer:

16. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'll believe it wihen I see it.
    However, if it goes forward they need to cast it in the same vein as the Fast And Furious franchise, msaning a multiracial cast.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Chris any relation to Ralph?

18. Christopher

None that IMDb or Wikipedia is aware of. Ralph McQuarrie was born in Indiana and lived in California from the 1960s onward, while Christopher McQuarrie was born in New Jersey in 1968. If there's a relationship, it's not an immediate one.