The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Scout101, Jun 23, 2014.

1. JHarper

JHarper Commander Red Shirt

Isn't Ferguson up there to? Coulda swore he was. Still funny seeing him as Tex, the last thing I remember seeing him in was Caprica as Vergis :lol:

Granderson kinda puzzles me as a main character. I know she is one, but I'll have to rewatch the season. Christina Elmore just doesn't seem to get a lot of screen time/lines compared to the others.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope, he is listed in the guest cast of every episode he's in. Which is every episode except the pilot.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Even for something as innocuous as the Navy's twice-yearly fitness test, females are asked if there's any chance they could be pregnant, so either the docs utterly failed in their questioning (not likely, as we saw them rejecting people), or that LT seriously messed up, again. :p

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

It's more fun imagining the Lt messing up...

5. Gaith

Captain Chandler: "Congratulations on your pregnancy, LT, which began under improper circumstances which you've already been disciplined for. You then proceeded to recklessly risk your own health as well as the study itself by concealing information from Dr. Scott. Looks as though the galley's found its newest head dishwasher."

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Judging from her reaction at the end of the episode, I don't think the Lt. knew herself that she was pregnant. Dr. Scott is at fault for not noticing it when she first did the blood workup as part of her screening for test applicants.

7. Gaith

^ Ahem...

The docs may have messed up in not pressing her on this point, given her romance was made common knowledge, but there's no way she wasn't primarily at fault there. For all the docs knew, she had long-term contraception or knew herself to be infertile or hadn't had that sort of relations.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Oh, well if you said it, that makes it official policy for sure.

How about citing a link to back that claim up?

(Hint: That question is very unlikely to be asked because its a phenomenally stupid question to ask. Asking if they are or think they may be pregnant is one thing. Asking if there's any chance at all? That's just a pointless and stupid thing to ask. "Well, sure, there's always the chance for immaculate conception, I guess...")

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  9. sojourner

"Ahem" what? If she didn't think she was pregnant, why would she say otherwise? There's no way she was primarily at fault there. The Doc is responsible for examining the results of the test screening/blood workup. For all the docs knew, she could have any number of undiagnosed conditions that would have disqualified the Lt. from the test. They shouldn't be taking the Lt.'s word on it. If they are, why bother doing blood workups at all?

The doc had the relevant information and fucked up.

10. Gaith

NAVPERS 6110/3 - PHYSICAL ACTIVITY RISK FACTOR QUESTIONNAIRE: " (Females) Are you now, or do you think that you may be pregnant?"

... I'm not a female myself, but it seems to me that if you've recently had unprotected sex with a dude, you should probably disclose that you "may be pregnant."

11. sojourner

Keyword here.

12. Mister Fandango

Congrats, you just proved my point. Your question was idiotic. Asking if they think they may be pregnant is completely and utterly different from the utterly stupid and pointless "is there ANY chance you may be pregnant?"

And no, having unprotected sex -- if that was even the case -- is not a symptom of being pregnant, let alone a reason for someone to think that they are pregnant.

Which, you know, is what their question is. Not yours.

13. Gaith

^ Hey, vaquero, you're the one who referred to an immaculate conception, so I wouldn't be fitting robes for your honorable doctorate in medicine just yet.

So, if not unprotected sex, why would someone think they might be pregnant? All it takes is once, and the success rate isn't that low.

14. Mister Fandango

Because they missed their period, are vomiting for unknown reasons, having strange cravings, etc. Those are symptoms that make a woman think she might be pregnant, and those are the types of symptoms the question is asking about. Otherwise the question would be more like "have you ever had any type of sex in your life, especially in the last few months?"

Quit being intentionally obtuse. You were wrong. Deal with it and move on.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you never been asked any unbelievably stupid questions by doctors or nurses when you've been at the hospital? One time when I was a teenager and had to go to the hospital the nurse asked me when my last period was, despite the fact I am clearly male. When I glared at her, her explanation was "we really are required to ask all teenagers that question."

16. Mister Fandango

That's irrelevant because they don't ask the question. Gaith himself proved it. His inane question is basically saying "Okay, all female sailors must remain celibate at all times." Because, protected or not, any form of sex "might" have made them pregnant.

The fact that he thinks the only way a woman can think she might be pregnant is if she has unprotected sex says a lot more about his lack of common sense than it does anything else. I mean, Jesus.

17. Gaith

What? I'm obviously assuming she and the SEAL didn't use protection. Maybe they used a rubber, and it broke. Fine. In that scenario, she could very plausibly have assumed she wasn't pregnant. Happy yet? :rolleyes:

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shows have ideas for their main characters in the pilot that never come to fruition as the season goes on. In fact, a lot of pilots actually drop characters they intended to be regulars by the second episode, never to be seen again and often never mentioned again.

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Leads don't have to always be in the pilot episode. Look at Blake's 7, Villa was not in the pilot and ended up being in more episodes than anyone else over the 4 seasons of that show.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

You mean Avon surely not Villa because Villa was in the first ep.