Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer, Jan 2014!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Madzilla, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Somebody in Starfleet should sent to Rura Penthe for the whole DQ mission - Starfleet losses at 40% post-Destiny and two Vesta class ships getting lost in that manner? Yikes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

You really need SPOILER codes. You are spoiling things in a thread that's not supposed to be spoiling anything.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It was my understanding that care is taken within a two or three month period from the books release. That one's been out for the best part of a year...

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Again?

5. JWolf

And have you read every book that's been out for a year? If you can answer yes, I'll leave this be. If you cannot say yes, then go back and put in the spoiler codes.

Not everyone has read every Star Trek book. We do get people coming in asking what to read not having kept up or just starting. So we know a year old Trek book spoilers can be spoiling books for others.

6. JWolf

Still because some don't realize not everyone has read everything.

7. Corran Horn

Do they generally come into threads for future books that are part of the ongoing narrative and continue reading?

That'd be silly.

8. Brefugee

There is an old phrase, it's best to remember, one that doesn't seem to have much use in many walks of life, but it's called common sense.

This is a thread about the upcoming novel in an ongoing series where the last novel had some pretty big and wide ranging effects on the progression of the ongoing narrative.

To think that said events will not be discussed is silly, to think that they need to put under spoiler code, again, is silly.

Or is this because you've not read The Eternal Tide, which in itself isn't a bad thing, I've not read everything ever published. But to come in a thread about the upcoming novel in an ongoing series, see a few spoilers, which to be fair, aren't spoilers if you've read the book and start demanding everything be put under spoiler tags (because if it's worked once, it may work again) is pretty damn silly.

Just remember that old phrase: Common Sense.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Preach!

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That kind of talk is heresy in today's world.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Look, I didn't think the spoiler thing was an issue with a novel that old. I was under the impression that the convention was to use spoiler tags on books for a few months after release. I especially didn't think it was necessary in a thread discussing a follow up novel where speculation based on previous events seems inevitable.

Personally I take spoilers on older novels as to be expected - its my call whether to read the thread.

I am sorry if I upset anyone, but would be really grateful if someone could give me hard and fast rules on when it is appropriate/not needed.

12. Brefugee

There's no need to get so defensive and no need to be sorry, in my eyes, you did nothing what so ever wrong in any shape or form. As I put it, we're discussing the upcoming novel in an ongoing series and the last book had some pretty big ramifications for the series so it's natural to discuss past events and there is really no need to hide everything behind spoiler tags.

I'm glad to see you, unlike others have a sense of common sense regarding spoilers, I'm of the same opinion, if I don't want to know about something that's happened in the past of an ongoing series and haven't got that far, I'll steer clear of the thread about the next book in the series.

Now, I'm not a mod, so you don't need to pay attention to what is ultimately my own opinion, but nor is jwolf and again, you don't need to pay attention to what is ultimately his own opinion.

13. Corran Horn

Coming into this thread it stands to reason plot points of previous installments might be discussed. Hell, the backcover blurb for this book could have been "After Chakotay was beheaded on Sigma Alpha 12, the Voyager crew...".

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Last time this came up, I said six months for spoilers codes, because things do move more slowly in the lit world. I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of the rest of you, so I don't know when the book Relayer1 is referencing was published but if it's more than six months ago then he's done nothing wrong.

JWolf - you don't have the right to demand people spoiler code everything, that's ludicrous. So please stop doing it.

16. Corran Horn

Amazon says August 28, 2012.

17. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

100 percent right. If a moderator needs an assistant then I'm sure they'll call, or will change the title accordingly. Other than that, this is a rehash of a recent conversation on spoiler code. But if I must share on this particular book.

There's a ship named Voyager in Protectors. :)

18. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Thanks! So it doesn't need spoiler coding.

I know it's upsetting when you're spoiled on a book you haven't read yet (don't get me started on Harry Potter :lol:) but fair's fair. Six months after publication we can all start discussing without coding everything.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOO, DAMN YOU. I read the spoiler and now the whole book has been spoiled.

20. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I know it. But it was just so exciting I couldn't pass it up. :cool: