The Killing (Seasons 1-3)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Is anyone watching this? I haven't seen the new season yet, but I decided to go back and check out the first two because I really want to watch the new one once I catch up.

I really like it, though at times it is slow. I really don't care about the councilman/mayoral candidate... I assume he'll be relevant at some point, but right now (I just finished s. 1, ep 11), he feels really ancillary to the main storyline. I also think the show dwells on the family's grief a little more than necessary. There's a lot that feels like filler.

Ironically, the ep I just watched--where Linden and Holder look for Linden's missing son--was more or less totally filler, but I loved it. Linden and Holder are definitely my favorite characters--they're the ones I'm most interested in.

I also like the case--and I'm well aware that it won't get solved until the end of season two, so I'm hoping I won't be as frustrated as those who watched the show when it aired and were (understandably) annoyed that the case wasn't wrapped up at the end of s. 1.

Any other fans of this show out there? Or did the stretching out of the case make you give up? Did anyone come back for season three? I can't wait to see it--the promos make it look really good.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Many hated the show, I never bothered with season 2 because the first was a mess. The ratings dropped like a rock. It's OK to stretch things out, but it was handed horribly and I ditched.

However season 3 seems to fix a lot of the issues so I might give it a shot.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Shit. forgot to set the dvr last night. I did see the premiere episode for season 3. They do a time jump to separate it from the events of the previous 2 seasons. It's still not a bad show but they will have to work hard to get past all the bad press from the previous seasons.

And hey, Jewel Staite!

4. bigdaddy

I heard
    that they got rid of the damn useless son of the main character,
    so that's good press to me! :)

5. sojourner

^Not completely.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the first two seasons, and I really like it so far in season 3. I'm definitely sticking with it. I'm not interested in spoilers, though, so I'll be scarce around threads that discuss it.

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The end of season 1 and start of season 2, are handled quite simply and plausibly. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if after watching the end of season 1 and the first couple of season 2 episodes, you weren't asking yourself; what all the bitching was about.

The show is less about the murder mystery than the affect the murder has on the detectives and the victim's family. So don't expect shoot outs and car chases, just lots of gut wrenching drama. It definitely is NOT a procedural.

Yeah, Linden and Holder are the best thing about the show.They are the best male/female cop buddy team since Mulder and Scully, IMO. The end of the Rosie Larsen mystery is a shocker.

So far, season 3 has been pretty good -- very similar in tone to seasons 1 and 2 which is a good thing. The atmosphere stays dark and foreboding with Linden and Holder at the heart of the new mystery.

8. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't know, maybe I am simple minded....lol, but I enjoyed both seasons and so far like season 3. I like the main characters and the story lines. I don't care if things don't wrap up like in 1 season and gets carried over for shows. I mean, look at Game of Thrones and many others who don't finish up everything in one season.

9. bigdaddy

The problem was that it carried on until another season when...

1. The show wasn't picked up for 26 episodes, it was 13. What would have happened if it were canceled before an ending?

2. It was just bad! The two lead cops are awesome, but all the other characters just got on your nerves and the political crap seemed useless. So everyone stuck around for the 13 episodes thinking we would get answers and then... nothing. If the show was better written or planned it would have been OK to carry over for another season.

Season 3 only has ten episodes and will be a stand alone mystery, so no / less filler, so that's good.

10. sojourner

The problem was that at the time most of the publicity touted it as a season long mystery leading people to expect it to be solved in the finale. So yeah, watching both seasons now wouldn't be a problem, but if you had (like me) been following the initial broadcasts you would have been pretty pissed at the end of season one.

11. Top41

I finished season one! I really liked it. I knew the cliffhanger was coming but I thought it was a pretty suspenseful one. But my boy Holder better not be bad! I mean, I figure he isn't since I know he's in season three. So I'm guessing he thinks the pics are legit but he got them from another source. Or maybe he just thought the guy was guilty, had someone doctor the pics, but Linden will protect him from the fallout somehow? I guess I'll see soon enough--I'm hopefully going to start season two this weekend! :)

12. gblews

^^ It gets even darker (if you can believe that's possible) in season 2. :)

13. bigdaddy

By darker they mean it rains more. :lol:

14. sojourner

If I remember right, you saw where he got the picture from in season one.

15. Top41

I think it's at the top of season two. I watched the first hour of the second season premiere last night... good, but I see where people lost patience with it. One of the show's selling points was that it felt so grounded, but now that it seems to be venturing into police conspiracy territory it feels a little less so. Holder's AA sponsor maybe manipulating him with false evidence? Someone taking pictures of Linden in her car as she watches the AA sponsor meet with another dude. Ehhhh. I'm still into it though.

16. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been enjoying season 3 so far and like that the tone has remained as dreary and damp as ever. :D But man, Holder's new partner has to be one of the jerkiest "veteran cop" characters I've seen on TV in years. Gregg Henry plays him great, but damn, what an ass! :D

17. sojourner

Gregg Henry plays a great ass in pretty much all his roles.

18. Top41

Gregg Henry is awesome on Scandal! But yeah, he's playing a jerk. Is he mean to Holder or just mean in general?

I'm up through season two ep. three. Linden and Holder were just reunited. I'm confused as to whether he actually used drugs or just lifted them from his former dealer and held onto them. It seemed like he was pretty out of it when he was having sex with that undercover officer he used to work with.

19. gblews

He's not really mean to Holder, he is just a huge ass (best decription).

Yeah, season 3 picks right up where 2 left off in terms of tone. And that is great for this show.

I'm pretty sure Holder used, but I'm going by memory. He really hits rock bottom in season 2.

20. Top41

Yeah, it really seemed like Holder had used, but they didn't really deal with it beyond that one episode, and he seems more okay than most people do after falling off the wagon after being sober for a while (at least on TV).

I've watched a few more episodes--still enjoying it, but it does feel like the story is being stretched. I don't know why the councilman is still in the show, or why we have to sit through scenes of him rolling his chair onto an elevator or losing control of his bladder. Now that he's been cleared, I'm not sure why he's still on the show.

Still enjoying it... I just watched episode 5 of season two. Hoping to finish it and start season three soon.

Is season three still enjoyable (for those that are watching)?