Breaking In - New FOX Comedy - Christian Slater, Bret Harrison

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Locutus of Bored, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still haven't seen the most recent episode, but regardless of its quality, FOX made a reasonable call. Breaking In was not holding the American Idol lead-in.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^I think that was just a case of wrong demographic. Grandmothers watching Idol are not going to get the humor of Breaking In. They didn't give it enough time to find it's feet. It also takes time for a show to build an audience. Especially one like this that has to build by word of mouth.

Well, hopefully we will get to see all of the episodes they did film.

3. Temis the Vorta

I think they're just flat-out losing the female demo, grandmothers, pre-teens, and all. They can't afford to have a show after Idol that doesn't hold onto that demo. Depending on when they debut, they might have good candidates for that timeslot in Alcatraz or Touch?

4. Temis the Vorta

FOX is thinking of un-cancelling it??? :rommie:

They should keep it, just move it away from American Idol where it's wasting the lead-in. Beef up the shallow writing and get some clarity on the main character. He was supposed to be blackmailed into taking the job, but now he seems upset at the idea of losing the job.

It's okay if the character is evolving (which is the generous interpretation, it's probably just sloppiness), but him being blackmailed was part of the premise, so does this show have a new premise? Why do we care if some nerd keeps a job working for a weird creep?

And the romantic rivalry between him and Dutch is never going to work because Dutch is not being written douchey enough. But for Dutch to be douchey would wreck a character who is working okay now. Keep Dutch the way he is, drop the romantic rivalry.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I hope they keep it. :) It is a great show. :bolian:

6. Temis the Vorta

I'd hate to see that cast broken up - they just need to broaden the comedy (just basing everything around the security problem of the week is already wearing thin - more episodes should revolve around the foibles of the characters) and tighten some logic issues up (why does Cam care about working for insane Oz?)

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

There is definitely something there with Oz & Cam to explore...I really like Cash...I didn't like Melanie at first but the ep with her dad was great...Dutch is gold...MR just kills it. :lol:

8. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

another great episode this week. dutch was great this week, and mellony is a hotty I hope they keep this show totally.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Christian Slater knows where his film career stands after Hollow Man 2 and and an Uwe Boll movie.

10. Temis the Vorta

11. sojourner

^Yes, because changing the airtime/date for one episode does such great things for ratings on a show. This is just a way for them to tweek the numbers and say "see? we told you the ratings weren't high enough!"

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope Michael Rosenbaum has more than 2 modes of acting at his disposal. The villainous and yet brilliant portrayal of Lex Luthor and then the total opposite side of the spectrum this doofus Dutch character.

13. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I really don't see why people love Christian Slater in this at all. He's the only thing that lessens my enjoyment of the show. I'd rather see just about any other actor in that role. He comes across as an obtuse ass, and not in the good, fun, antagonist kind of way. Just a fucking asshole.

14. sojourner

^I'm waiting for him to drag out his old "Jack Nicholson" method of acting that he used in the 80's.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it was an hour long they could maybe pair it with Fringe seeing as Breaking In tries so hard (too hard?) to appeal to the genre crowd.

16. Temis the Vorta

If the ratings hold firm or don't drop too much, it's proof that the show has its own audience and not just people who are too lazy to reach the remote after Idol. :rommie: Because if that's all the show has, it deserves cancellation.

FOX is giving the show the chance to prove itself rather than just assuming that it has no significant fanbase of its own. It's more than most cancelled shows get.

The reason that tests like this usually fail is because let's face it, it's hard for any show to develop a fanbase quickly. But that's the reality of the TV environment nowadays. Sink or swim. If anything, I don't think FOX cleared enough timeslots. They had to pass on at least two interesting-sounding pilots (although they're shopping one - Locke & Key - to cable, where it belongs anyway.)

Reality crap is still hogging up way too much of the schedule, that's the real problem.

All the characters are underwritten (which is why I'd like to see the show given more time - to develop the characters beyond the paper thin level). It's off-putting to see a character who just charges out, being an asshole, with no real explanation. But all the other characters are thin as well. None of them come off as real people - yet. Oz could be a great character with better writing. So could Cam, Cash and Dutch. The others, not so sure about, but four strong characters is enough to pass muster.

The actors right now are just doing what they can to keep the show afloat, by being garish and attention-grabbing, to compensate for the weak writing. Hopefully with more time, the writers will catch up and then the characters and the show will feel more whole.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Do a lot of people really "love him" in the role, or are even supposed to love him for that matter? To me, he's little more than a walking talking plot device to advance the story the characters we're supposed to like are participating in from point A to point B.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Just finished watching the season(series?) finale "Jump Street"...wow what a great and funny ep. Everyone did a great job. :bolian: Of course they have Melanie being all angsty that Cam has moved on. :lol:

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah but of course. Is it official though or is Fox still unsure about potentially bringing it back?

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

There is still hope and they should bring it back...it is one of the best shows on IMO.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...inale-ratings-could-resurrect-the-show/93092/

[edit] http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-good-wife-25-better-breaking-in-sinks/93111/

Ugh. Spoke too soon. :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011