Is Primeval New World worth watching?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by chardman, Feb 13, 2013.

1. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Been Tivo-ing these, but have only watched the pilot thus far.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything to write home about either. I figured that now that I have all 12 episodes, I'd probably marathon what I've got this coming weekend, but figured I'd ask what others thought of the series first.

Is the series deserving of a watch, or so bad that deleting them unseen would be a blessing? Is this spin-off a keeper, or a waste of disk space?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I haven't watched it (I'm waiting until it all airs and then marathon though it all at once). I enjoyed all 5 Series of the Brit version, so, I'm looking forward to watching it myself.

Seems like next week is the final episode of the Season.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've recorded them. Currently 4 episodes in and wondering why...

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Wait, is this on in the U.S.? What channel?

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've watched the first five so far. The first wasn't too bad, although Connor didn't serve much point other than to prove there's a connection with the British version. The second and third episodes are the weakest so far, with bad stereotypes in two and ridiculous monsters in three.

Episode four brought to life one of my personal nightmares from the Pleistocene: evolution's effort to reincarnate Allosaurs in the form of birds with Titanis. The guest characters were a little more interesting, and the ensemble finally started to work well together. Along with a bit of a twist at the end that I know is gonna cause trouble.

Episode five is the strongest I've seen in almost the entire Primeval franchise.

The creatures are presented with varying degrees of success. The CGI is a bit uneven, with some creatures represented better than others. Titanis was utterly believable. The biggest problem with them is a consistent problem with Primeval: the animals don't behave like real animals, they behave like monsters. They immediately hop through anomalies into our world, and they arrive with a ravenous appetite for human flesh. In fact, I doubt very few creatures with a brain the size of a lizard or more would get anywhere near an anomaly until it's a well-established part of their domain. And ... shouldn't at least a few of the animals that do stray through be herbivorous?

The biggest let down for me is the cast of young, pretty faces. They're too good looking and too perfect for my tastes. Couldn't we have a couple of older salts as part of the cast? How about a fat person who's perfectly content to mind the store and look out for anomalies? One of the things I liked about Connor and Abbie was that they were young, pretty, woefully inexperienced, and clumsy with their jobs. They grew in time, but in the beginning they caused as much trouble as they fixed. In this show, the producers aren't having any of that ... the young, pretty faces are also wise and smart and quick and athletic and ... oh, please let one or two of them get eaten.

:devil:

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, is this airing in the States?!?!?!

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe?

It's a Canadian production for the "Space" Network.

If you're toward the northern border, you might be able to subscribe.

It's being made by the Sanctuary people including Amanda Tapping, although she's staying behind the camera. So what ever the delay between Sanctuary airing in Canada and the States will probably be the same lag for Primeval.

I've seen all 12 to date.

the early episodes were shit.

The first episode was vomit in a jello mould.

They are ignoring some of the science established in the British definition, which since it's a new world may bnot have actually happened since the time line split in 2006 but the actual drama and tension is not between man vs. Dinosaur but between the Edison/Gates/Jobs-Superman vs the Canadian-Industrial Military SuperComplex... The frakking men in back hook up with the dinosaur hunters, then infest and assimilate until Edison becomes Tessler.

Two words.

Colin Furgeson.

He's not that important this season, but if the show is renewed, it's pretty frakking clear that he's going to be the Canadian Helen Cutter. :)

WHICH WILL BE GLORIOUS!

Took a while to find it's sea legs, but more than worth the Watch.

"Sigh"

Louis Ferreira as a stick up his ass Colonel.

ROCK ON!

8. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also watch the show and enjoy it. Last week's episode in which we met the Colonel was one of the dullest, I thought, but otherwise I like it.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Anything to do with the BBC series Primeval?

RAMA

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, it's a spinoff/sequel to that series, from the same executive producers, but it's produced and set in Vancouver -- hence the New World subtitle.

12. Guy Gardener

Before the show started, they accidentally screwed with recent history, splitting the timeline since 2006.

"Hence New World"

Connor Showed up in the pilot.

It's unclear if he represented the ARC, or if the ARC had been "removed from play" retroactively because of what the Canadians have been getting up to with time since 2006, ipsofacto that this Connor might be a refugee from another timeline which we are familiar with, or if it's a just different enough new Connor and a just different enough new ARC that none of the adventures we ever saw happen up to and including the "Anomaly convergence" which because it did happen in another timeline, that it doesn't have to happen again in the new 2010 which was 2( or 3?) years ago, did happen.

The cute cybergirl did a google search for the ARC last week, and all she found were some vague references on British conspiracy blog...Which is exactly all you would find if the ARC was up and running at full steam.

13. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Syfy has purchased basic cable rights in the US, with Hulu getting streaming rights. No airdate has been posted to my knowledge, but it may be added to either Monday or Friday nights. Since Continuum will air season 1 back to back with the upcoming s2, that timeslot's a lock thru late spring, leaving it a candidate for Being Human or Lost Girl's timeslot, or replacing Merlin on Fridays after it finishes it's run.

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well ... I'm up to episode nine now, and my opinion on the show has taken a complete 180° since the first few. There's a genuinely interesting backstory going on here, people aren't who you first think they are, and it's a pretty good show. So far, I prefer it to the original production. Even the creatures are better behaved in later episodes, although I still question whether they'd actually walk through a glowing hole in the universe that spits out dinosaurs.

The Reeves-Stevens duo continue to impress me.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Merlin is the closest of those to being done (for good), so I'm thinking that seems like the most likely place to put this.
    Wait, what day is Defiance airing?

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Just a bit of clarification for you, Primeval was an ITV Production (not sure if it was inhouse or an indy production) and wasn't a BBC Production.

The original ITV version in my opinion was shite so I'm not even gonna try this new version.

17. Guy Gardener

Is ITV made in Britain and Broadcast in Britain?

Close efuckingnuff. ;)

18. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm watching it online because, c'mon, DINOSAURS! But I wish the characters were as engaging as the original Primeval. The lead is weaker than I'd expected because I liked him in Eureka. And then they killed off one of the better characters. I hope it picks up.

19. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Defiance is slated for Monday nights. So it could be Continuum, Defiance & P:NW on Monday.
    Syfy also picked up SkyTV's Sinbad-that could get the post WWE Friday slot after Merlin wraps.

20. Guy Gardener

There's one episode left.