Coders encouraging non-coders to code

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Captain_Nick, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/business-it/gates-zuckerberg-urge-kids-to-code-20130227-2f5hu.html

I like this idea. Computers are not just nerdy toys anymore, they are an essential part of modern life, and knowing how to use them effectively can only be a good thing.

I'm wondering whether all the talk of a 'skilled programmer shortage' is true though. I was under the impression that coding work had for the most part been outsourced to places like India and China. Is there much demand for software engineers in first world countries? Or is it more a case of - demand for a brilliant IT guy is always going to be very great.

Ego aside, I'd be an average coder at best.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a demand for good and totally cheap programmers. While the first is an ubiquist, the latter species is found mostly in Asian countries.

3. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been saying this for years! Young children should be taught to code! By learning how to code you also learn how to structure your thoughts and process in small steps to solve a big problem, something that is really useful in life.

Companies still want brilliant software engineers but are usually not willing to pay them as such.

4. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup, everyone wants super software developers. The usual quote is a really great developer is 10 times more productive than an average developer.

Plus there is no additive, 10 avg developers together makes things worse, not better.

I think more folks learning about code is a good thing, but in my experience coding is an odd behavior, the really amazing coders I've run across are more like mad artists.