Help with Vanguard/ Seekers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jsplinis, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was thinking about starting to read the Vanguard series and the Seekers follow-up books. But before I do I'd like to get the big picture per se.

Can you guys help me with a few questions before I begin?

1. Other than the SCE and MU tie-ins, are there any other books or stories that have continuity links to the series? I'm specifically interested in TOS era stories.

2. Are there any books that aren't considered direct tie-ins but the authors consider to be consistent and part of the "Vanguard/ Seekers" universe so to speak?

3. For the non-original characters like Carol Marcus and Captain Terrell, are there stories other than Vanguard/ Seekers that help to consistently build their stories?

4. And last, other than those considered in continuity with Vanguard/ Seekers, what novels, novellas or short stories feature Carol Marcus or Torell. I'm interested in stories featuring these two characters even if they might contradict the Vanguard and Seekers series. I know of Inception and Faces of Fire for Marcus but I don't know of any for Torrell.

Thank for all the help,
    Jsplinis

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Terrell plays a small but important role in Mere Anarchy Book 4: The Darkness Drops Again.

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There weren't any TOS books that referenced Vanguard or it's characters, if that's what you mean.

The IDIC Epidemic and The Vulcan Academy Murders were referenced in the series. One of the Typhon Pact books (I'm not sure which right now, and I haven't read it yet) is a sequel of sorts to the Vanguard storyline. Those are the only ones I'm aware of specifically.

Carol Marcus was a character in a least the first Genesis Wave book, and maybe others in that series but I don't recall. There was an Alien Spotlight issue from IDW that features Terrel and Chekov on the Reliant.

Check out my website (linked below) if you haven't already.

5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

In regards to your first and second questions:

The short story "The First Peer", by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore, in the anthology Seven Deadly Sins features Romulan characters introduced in Vanguard.

The U.S.S. Endeavour and the Taurus Reach are mentioned as part of the background of Dayton Ward's TOS novel From History's Shadow.

Dayton Ward's TOS novel That Which Divides features the Archer class vessel U.S.S. Huang Zhong and references Jabilo M'Benga's time aboard Vanguard.

Admiral Nogura next appears in the modern novelverse in Christopher's DTI novel Forgotten History.

The Meta-Genome, whose data is still in Federation and Tholian hands at the end of Vanguard, resurfaces in the 24th century Andorian storyline, in particular in Dayton Ward's Typhon Pact - Paths of Disharmony and David Mack's The Fall - A Ceremony of Losses.

You may notice that authors who have worked on Vanguard/Seekers have a penchant for referencing things they've worked on.

6. ryan123450

All references that I forgot. Good job Enterprise1701!

7. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Carol Marcus also appeared in several issues near the conclusion of the second volume of the TOS DC Comics run (as well as an annual), all but one of which are set prior to Kirk taking command of the Enterprise (the last issue taking place at the very end of the 5-year mission):

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Star-Crossed
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Loved_Not_Wisely
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/A_Bright_Particular_Star

DC Vol. 2, Annual #2:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_Academy!

(Plus, of course, there are the novels Inception and Faces of Fire, which have already been mentioned.)

While not directly featuring Clark Terrell himself that I can recall, there's an entire flashback-chapter in The Lost Era: The Sundered depicting a pre-TWOK mission aboard the USS Reliant for Chekov (Memory Beta dates it circa 2281) to the Halkan homeworld, and a tragedy that occurs there.

8. Enterprise1701

Thanks. Say, do you happen to know if Dayton Ward is on the Trek BBS? Yesterday I was thinking that he was, but now I can't find any posts by him.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Dayton posts regularly on Facebook, if that's any help.

11. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...and Twitter. :D

12. Enterprise1701

Thanks, but I just wanted to know if I spelled his bolded username correctly in my post.

13. ryan123450

Wow I hadn't noticed that Dayton wasn't here anymore. Wonder what gives?

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^I would guess it's because this board can get negative sometimes, and his work doesn't always get the respect/praise that work by authors like David Mack, Greg Cox or Christopher Bennett get. Just look at DRG3 as an example. After people shit all over him for Sisko's storyarc that started in Rough Beasts of Empire, he got fed up with the negativity and no longer posts here. Of course, i'm only guessing when it comes to Mr. Ward. There could be other factors...

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could have sworn I'd seen posts on here by Dayton Ward within the last couple months, but I follow him of Facebook so I could be thinking of that instead.

16. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Forgot to mention this earlier, but there are also quick references to Diane Duane's Rihannsu novels sprinkled here and there throughout the Vanguard books, as well.

17. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here is a great resource on Vanguard ... http://www.davidmack.pro/vanguard.html

I have been reading the series. I am finally in the middle of What Judgements Come. This is by far the best Star Trek book series I have read in a long time.

There are a lot of fun Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Star Wars references. There are tons of Trek Movies, and series references all over the series that tie-in events we have seen on screen to the events of Vanguard. There are also nods to Demons, IDIC Epidemic, Vulcan Academy Murders.

-Chris

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Were there? I know the Enterprise post-finale novels by Mangels/Martin (and maybe the just-Martin ones too) had some, but I don't remember any in my Vanguard reread a few months ago.

19. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. If you have the time I do have one more:

In regards to Carol Marcus's story/ back story, how do the Vanguard books correspond with the books Inception and Faces of Fire or her DC Comics Volume 2 comic book appearances?

20. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ I have no idea if the Treklit and comics continuity stories regarding her character are compatible are not. I can tell you that I didn't take into account any non-canon material regarding Carol Marcus when I introduced her to the Vanguard saga. If they can be reconciled, great. If not, that's the way it goes.